*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Red Ven

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Red Ven

Postby DG-Unit » Mon May 02, 2022 8:46 pm

Fitted the Fiesta Mk6 fog lights to the new bumper. Not that convinced by the look of them being so close together but because of the design of the bumper reinforcer this was the best place. Couldn’t fit them to the slopes surfaces because of what’s behind the fibreglass. Needs a re-do on the bumper paint and some minor filing but new fogs and bumper should be a bit more aerodynamic. Also drilled out the bumper reinforcer holes to lift it 5mm and close the gap under the headlights. Next job before a bodge re-spray is chopping up some Transit Connect plastic arches to cover up my over heating welding warp.

And icing on the cake today fitted a new drivers door switch so my interior lights turns on when you get in. downside is another door causing that stupid annoying buzzer to go off. Need to find that thing and replace it with something easier to ignore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ned » Mon May 02, 2022 9:49 pm

That MSP paint is good stuff, I use it a lot zinser is also good stuff no cheap but does the job
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Sat May 14, 2022 1:35 pm

Saw this and thought of you :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Sat May 14, 2022 2:14 pm

ned wrote: no cheap but does the job

Who are you, and what did you do with the old Ned :shock: :P :lol:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby ned » Sat May 14, 2022 3:45 pm

Altransit wrote:
ned wrote: no cheap but does the job

Who are you, and what did you do with the old Ned :shock: :P :lol:

Ned’s dead baby Ned’s dead :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully the years of scrimping are behind me

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DG-Unit » Sun May 15, 2022 12:59 pm

ned wrote:Saw this and thought of you :lol: :lol: :lol:

At first i was going to argue that everything is pretty cheap. For instance my new to me £30 drivers seat. But yesterday I went through my ‘van stuff’ and realised I’ve got three boxes full of paints, sprays, fillers and stuff. Must be hundreds spent and that’s just the stuff I haven’t already used up
B40F00F0-EB96-4649-8D29-E929047829FA.jpeg
6F93C77E-5BB2-42EC-A8AC-CAEE7FDA3A4C.jpeg

Starting to look pretty mint on the interior now 8)
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ned » Sun May 15, 2022 1:04 pm

The cost soon add up, I was thinking more what you have invested in welding (ok so you did it but if you hadn’t how much would it have cost)

Staring to look sharp now.

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DG-Unit » Sun May 15, 2022 11:56 pm

ned wrote:The cost soon add up, I was thinking more what you have invested in welding (ok so you did it but if you hadn’t how much would it have cost)

Staring to look sharp now.

Did all the front brakes and control arms before the welding at about £200 plus 2 days working on it.I reckon panels and parts for the welding came to about £1k with all the welding. Add on the gas, wire, tools, sundries and easily another £500. Maybe more. Wouldn't surprise me if it was nearer £2k all together. Downside of doing it myself was that I had to do it. Upside was that I got to take the time to deal with surface rust, zinc prime and top coat everything and get rid of the Ford foam. I think a welder for hire would have got it done in a couple of days and it would look prettier but it wouldn't last as long. Took me about 3 weeks full-time and then some.

After the MOT it was £200 for the rear drums that popped a cylinder, followed by another £500 and a week of work on the gearbox, driveshafts and rear main seal. Then that shocker of a bill for the elastic timing chain about 6 months later at £1600. Work on the leaky power steering and turbo cartridge replacement was maybe another £400. I'm not going to add all those numbers together because I will end up just walking into the sea. Hard to imagine all that horror show when today I'm looking for cushions to put in it :lol Let's not also mention the Mk.7 dash conversion, wood paneling, insulating, installing electric windows, stereo, new seats, new doors, window blinds bla bla bla. Stupid van thought it was going to get a rest in the scrapheap in the sky but now it'll have to keep going forever and ever and ever because I can't stop even though it's just a bloody duff low roof SWB Mk.6 with tiny wheels, the wrong ratio gearbox and wonky panels... I am a clown.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Mon May 23, 2022 12:17 pm

Was wondering why i plan two things to do on the van every weekend and it takes me two days to do one. Realised I spend a lot of time thinking/ overthinking and giving myself silly challenges. This one was to mount a roof rack that isn’t designed for this van (but now looks like it was always meant to be) as low as possible so I might still get under car park barriers. I haven’t tested it at a car park yet and might be pretty damn close. Got the rack as another FB marketplace bargain and saves me loads of work i was planning to fabricate something for a roof deck. Next step is to find something light to board it with and after that i’m thinking water tanks made of soil pipe (not used) an awning, maybe a hanging chair. Space at the front for solar panels in the distant future.

Anyway. The rack is mounted with 2mm steel brackets welded to the stronger outer sections. I had to weld one penny at a time so it had cooled by the time i came back to the first bracket. Had visions of setting fires on the insulation and burning down all my progress. The x10 brackets and rack are M8 threaded with stainless bolts and blue thread lock. Main thing was to stop forward motion under breaking. Will have to keep an eye that the steel bolts aren’t wearing into the aluminium or ceasing to it. Also plan to put a couple of ‘safety stops’ above the back door to catch the rear cross bar just in case everything fails under heavy breaking - but if it’s that strong maybe it’ll just snap the cross bar. I’ve watched too many final destination films i think.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Thu May 26, 2022 7:51 pm

Finally got to the point I can work out the interior with SketchUp. If the weather is good on the 4-day weekend I’ll paint the exterior. If not, I’ll do the kitchen galley. Also ordered a leisure battery today. Can’t wait to sit in the back with the lights on and not worry.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:12 pm

Spend most the day wet sanding with a hose pipe and as soon as I get to painting it starts to rain. It only caused a little blemish on the bonnet which I’ll fix when the weather stops lying or causing a thunderstorm. Was starting to think this was another job that’s not worth it but the colour is spot on (RAL 3016 satin) and the finish is so much better - not super smooth but no runs either and the slight texture helps hide the dents. Rustoleum paint, pro dec ice fusion mini rollers, a ‘lay off’ roller and a little 5-10% cheap white spirit mixed in. Re-did the side panel seams with new sealant as it was cracking and being a transit probably some kind of compound that actively sucks in moisture from the atmosphere. Also some of the non-corrosive sealant around the top and sides of the hinges (but not the bottom to let water run out) - seems to be a weakness spot for water pooling and corrosion. Because of price and being tool lazy to go to Screfix as well as Toolstation (80m apart), I’ve switch led from the usual Slibflex EBT to Lead Mate and finally got a sealant tool. Not sure if it’s just the tool but the Lead Mate feels like it goes on better and more workable. It did benefit from a coat of plastic primer to help the paint stick. Anyway. More technical info that anyone ever asked for but maybe one day someone else will be a stupid as me, buy a trash van and need to know about sealants and roller painting.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:58 am

Don’t mind me. Just making a sink out of a catering tray. Some guy called Bob stopped to chat in his Mk7 with freshly painted bumpers. Started the conversation asking “Do you speak English?”. Anyway, a few minutes later he’s offering me some rear drums for free which I don’t really need but free is free and mine will probably fall apart the next day if I turned him down. Last week a woman stopped to say she was looking for a cheap work van and asked if it was for sale.. “No it’s not cheap” was my response. Drilling a hole in the floor for the waste pipe I noticed I’ll have more rust patches to weld before the winter. Not an MOT fail but could turn into a van folding in half fail after another winter. All the old work seems to be holding up but some orange spots seeping though the hammerite. Will sort that out with a wire brush and better paint after my summer trip.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jonnypopo » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:41 am

Hi - starting my welding journey and reading through your thread again. Amazing effort!

Quick question. Where did you get the floor support piece shown here?

41BCC7F6-3890-4A3C-92B1-1C6151003632.jpeg

Mine currently looks like this…

F2C0532A-A13E-48FB-9305-C45E49A066B4.jpeg
Jonnypopo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby DG-Unit » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:46 pm

Jonnypopo wrote:Hi - starting my welding journey and reading through your thread again. Amazing effort!

Quick question. Where did you get the floor support piece shown here?

41BCC7F6-3890-4A3C-92B1-1C6151003632.jpeg

Mine currently looks like this…

F2C0532A-A13E-48FB-9305-C45E49A066B4.jpeg

On mine it was still in tact just about. I’m not sure what it does but I think you could fabricate something similar from sheet steel or see if dieselhead123 has some: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=42705
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:40 pm

So the final push. Got a ferry booked for the 13th. So much to do, won’t get it all done, hope it doesn’t set one fire. Progress so far:
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!