*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 transit crew cab tray back

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk6 transit crew cab tray back

Postby oldyellar » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:23 am

Very smart work mate well done
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby spudmab » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:02 pm

Well this week we managed to hit another mile stone. The diesel night heater tank / dummy exhaust system is done.

Its now been completely welded and sanded, rear mount to match the other side. we then fitted the outlet and rigged up a pressure system to allow us to pressurise the tank and spray it with soapy water and check for leaks.

After filling the tank with 2 bar of air we found 2 tiny leaks. We emptied the pressure and welded the leaks. Sanded then back and repeated the process. Success no more bubbles. Should be sealed now.

We also drilled and welded a oxygen sensor boss that will be used to fill the tank. This is to be mirrored on the other side.

We also made a mount for the towbar electric plug. A bit of 3mm steel plate was cut and shaped with the appropriate holes drilled. Just needs to be welded in place.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:42 pm

To be honest we haven't got much done on the truck this week. We did finish making the tow socket mount. This is now tacked in place.

We are now at the point of taking all the rear of the truck apart ready for final welding and paint ect.

We didn't start doing that as we had a new delivery arrive that needed assembling and of course modifying. Ha ha.

New Snap-on Welding workstation cart. Nice bit of kit but we cant keep anything standard so a nice chunk of 5mm Ali plate has been cut, sanded and drilled to bolt to the standard handle bolts so we can hang a small Snap-on locker on the end. This is where all the engineering tools and equipment will be kept. Keeping the majority of fabrication and engineering tools together.

ImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:04 pm

Well we only had 1 evening this week. We sorted out a lot of questions regarding wiring and airlines ect.

The only part of fabrication that got done was rear reflector mounts. We cut a bit of tube. Capped 1 end and the cut and sanded it to fit the hole in the lower rear mudguard.

Once it was fully welded, we sanded it back. The reflectors are held in with double sided tape. They are normally used on motorcycles.

ImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:03 pm

Well this week we set about making up the rear cross member strengthen gussets. All cut and welded from 3mm mild steel plate. Holes drilled to allow wires to be run. These will be fully welded when the truck is pulled apart.

We also removed the rear wheels followed by the half shafts and undone the hub nuts. We need to drill and pin the lower mudguard mounts.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:17 pm

Well this week we started of with cutting the bottom edges of the mudguards and bending some 6mm mild steel bar to give the mudguards a nice edge.

We also fully welded the mudguard brackets and added some gussets to the centres of the lower brackets. This is to add extra strength.

Then we started to pull the truck apart so we can start fully welding and start to clean and paint the rear of the truck.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:00 pm

Well this is gonna be our last week working on the truck until the new year. We have been trying to get some of the little jobs finished off.

The lower outer edges of the mudguards are finished now with round bar. We have also made some gussets for the rear infill panel mounts. These have been tacked into place ready for fully welding.

Hope everyone has a happy Christmas and a great New year.

ImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:34 pm

Well i said we had finished until the new year, but we managed to sneak a few more hours this week.

We have chopped up and re-made the front ali framework. There is a slight difference along the edge of the infil panel, but the infill panel isn't bolted up fully.

There is a little bit more work left on this framework, but it's nearly there. So we can now make the next part of the framework and start to work out the floor panels that will need cutting to fit.

Anyway, that's all now till the new year. Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas.

ImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:39 pm

With the truck being up on ramps and stands for this long, it's hard to remember how low the front end is when it's air out.
ImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Chug » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:54 pm

I've been following your thread for the last three+ years and had another run through it over the xmas break and surprised myself that I haven't commented before :roll:
anyway I admire the fabrication and engineering and thought that you have put into this, it reminds me of mine and my mates projects of our youth (mostly old skool fords but none as good as this) and also pisses me off that I aint got the energy to get so involved these days :lol: but I am thinking now I'm near retiring that I might just get time for a slow old git project, I fancy an anthill mob style car with a small block v8, or maybe turning a classic estate into a pick up like we did years back :D
Looking forward to your regular updates
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby spudmab » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:39 pm

There are no updates from last week as i was not well and done nothing to the truck.

This week, however, we have cut and made the rear chassis plates. These are to strengthen the original chassis rails. They are made from 3mm mild steel this is over double what Ford used.

After a test fit, we cleaned the rail back to raw steel and then clamped the new plate in place. The plates will be welded around their edge, and the holes will be plugged welded.

ImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:23 pm

Well this week, we have welded and cleaned up the inner chassis plate. Also we have plugged welded the outer chassis rail plate.

Also, we have welded and cleaned up the last of the brackets, so now everything is ready to be taken to the powder coaters.. still undecided on colour tho.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:18 pm

All the brackets, plates, air tanks, 4 link bars, exhaust system, and all the other parts loaded into my Tourneo, ready to drop off to the powder coaters.

https://polcolour.co.uk

Can't wait to have it all back nice, clean, and shiny. Just need to work out the colour by the morning. Image

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:28 pm

Well, this week saw us fully weld the right-hand outer chassis plate. Also, we managed to fully weld the left-hand inner chassis plate. Followed by sanding it back.

In other news, I have chosen the colour for the powder coating. Hopefully, it will all be done by the end of the month.

I also dropped the rear mudguards of to Norfolk Classic Resurrections as they are gonna work their magic on them.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:50 am

Photos from this weeks update ImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!