*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 transit crew cab tray back

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk6 transit crew cab tray back

Postby spudmab » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:08 pm

Well, this week, we have welded the final chassis rail plate. It's been sanded back.

Next, we set about making up some of the bottom parts of the chassis rails. These were cut from 3mm mild steel and hammered to shape. The right-hand side has been welded. The bottom plate and both side plates have been welded together.

We won't have any updates next week, but we will be back to it the week after.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:50 pm

Well, this week, we have managed to fully weld the left-hand chassis rail plates. The bottom plate is in, the rear bottom plate is in. These have all been sanded back and smoothed.

Also, the tow bar wiring socket mount and the tow bar socket are both fully welded. We also cut off a casting from the top of the rear axle to gain more clearance. This was then ground and sanded smooth. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:36 pm

Welding, welding, and more welding followed by lots of sanding. So this week, we managed to get the rest of the right-hand chassis rail plates welded. Also, we managed to get the new centre cross member fully welded.

We also welded up all the unused and not needed holes in the inner chassis rails. Also, a lot of wire brushing to the outer rails to clean all the under seal of ready for the unused holes to be filled.

We also machined up some threaded bosses and welded them to the rear of the towbar mount. We will be using these for rear earth mounts.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:46 pm

This week, we have been welding, welding oh and wiring. Ha ha.

Well, all the cross members are now fully welded. All the unneeded holes have been welded. The last 2 outlet tubes have been welded and sanded smooth. A few more bits to welded, then we are on to the chassis top plates.

As for the wiring, well, as we are removing the ABS system, we needed to swap the entire engine bay loom. So the hunt for an engine bay loom from a non ABS rwd transit with the option of air-conditioning was on.

I managed to get hold of a loom from a friend. I compared the looms after removing the truck loom and we have managed to get the right one. There is a small repair as 1 plug is broken, but this is a small detail. Next, we need to remove the ABS unit and all the pipework. Also, we need to change the master cylinder to a non ABS one and then make up new brake pipes. There is still lots to do.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:50 pm

Well, I had a message for Polcolour Ltd to say the powder coating was done and ready to collect.

Dam, I forgot how many bits there are. There is still the 2 air tanks and the 5 smaller parts i didn't take a picture of.

Its a dark purple colour but looks blue in the light. Had the stainless steel exhaust parts blasted so they look a bit like cast. Also, the rear bumper is now bluish silver.

ImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Chug » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:45 pm

It looks blue in the photos spud and I like those blasted exhausts 8)
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby INTRANSIT » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:56 pm

I marvel at you guys doing this sort of work :mrgreen:
keep it up :D .
Mk7 2.2 85ps Fwd 2008 poverty spec
INTRANSIT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby spudmab » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:17 pm

Well, this week why my brother-in-law worked on the rear of the truck, i was working on the front. After pulling the wiring loom out and lifting the sound deadening, i was greeted by this little mess.

Well, break out the spot weld drill bit and the belt sander and remove what was left of the inner arch panels.

Luckily, there are only 2 small parts that need plates welding in. Then, hopefully, fit the new panels and stick it all back together.

The drivers side chassis rail has been wire brushed back to clean metal now. Just a few nut inserts to drill and fit then on to fitting the new chassis top. Then repeat on the passenger side chassis rail.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:01 pm

Well, this week, we had the rear axle blasted. Then 2 good coats of acid etch primer followed by some nice black. Turned out way better than i imagined.

We also worked out the level of the rear brake pipes. We drilled and fitted rivnuts so we can P-clamp the brake pipes in place.

The last job we managed this week was to dress the tops of the chassis rails to make them as flat as we can ready for the new chassis tops.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:34 pm

Hi everybody. There are no updates on the build. My wife and i have split up due to her using illegal substances.

I am trying to fight for custody of my 2 youngest kids. They dont deserve to be in that sort of environment. I dont know if it's allowed on here, but i have set up a go fund me page to try and get a solicitor to help me fight for my kids. I am now homeless, having to crash at my families houses. She has refused me access to any of my stuff.

Any help would be amazing. I have a court hearing on May 31st.

https://gofund.me/5cb97116

Many thanks

Mathew west

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:58 pm

Well, i have managed to get my truck and most of my stuff from my X wifes house. The truck has a new temporary house. Work have let me put it in 1 of our workshops. So i can now start getting the truck finished off.

To be honest, it's not too far of. Need to drill and nut insert the top of the chassis rails. Then paint the chassis.
Then, the rebuild can begin.

Need to buy new rear wheel bearings and axle seals. That's about all i need to buy.

Anyway, I have a few photos of the truck to remind everyone how it looksImageImage

Sent from my moto e13 using Tapatalk
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:58 pm

Well the updates are gonna be happening starting this coming week.

I have brought new rear wheel bearing and seals etc for the axel. So I sorted out the rear hubs and new disc's ready to start piecing bits back together.

Photos when things actually happen.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:59 pm

Well work has been a bit slow so I have managed to get a bit of tinkering done.

I have built up both rear hubs with new bearings, seals and disc's and new nuts. I gave them a few duga dugas with my Mac impact gun, will torque them up when the axle is on the truck.

Anyway some photos for your viewing pleasure.ImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:33 pm

Well this evening we have finally put a coat of paint on the chaos's rails and the new framework.

Gonna see how it dries as it might need a second coat. Had a bit of an accident with the fork lift truck. The chassis slipped of the forks and it had damaged 1 of the rail tops.

This will now have to be cut out and replaced with new fresh metal. Bit of a set back but still moving forward.

More as it happens.ImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:19 pm

Well this week we started the rebuild. Got the suspension brackets fitted. The 4 link bars had the threads cleaned and rose joints fitted. Then the axle was wheeled in place. The 4 bars where then fitted.

The rear air bags where put into place as well as the rear shocks and the check straps. The anti-roll bar went on and 1 of the air tanks.

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!