*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Chris's medium mk7

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Chris's medium mk7

Postby hilton484 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:25 pm

It definitely is, I had sort of decided this would be a practice one to work out how to do the next one better but just a relief I can use it again now :)

Still plenty to go to get it looking proper though haha

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:13 pm

Just a mini update

Got the new pedal covers fitted, and sussed out the screen washers.

Turned out it wasn't working as the bottle was empty, the hole for the pump wasn't very round and was dripping out, ended up taking the bottle out and testing it after cleaning the hole up and trying to make sure pump was pushed in properly. In the end it still leaked so I used the glue gun to go round the bung and pushed it in then more glue for good measure, refitted and is working, if it leaks empty again I'll get a used tank :)

Went to fit the seat belt and turns out I ordered one without the pretensioner thing so no good :( o well I'll get some at some point.Image

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:08 am

Few little bits done.

I started to cover the roof inside, should do it later but I'm rushing ahead lol as i say this is kinda a practice and to be done good enough for August it will probably/possibly get redone another way at some point in the future.

Got 25mm polystyrene and spray contact adhesive to level it out and stuffed some dritherm glasswool stuffin the top the. The foam foil deadening stuff to cover it all and secure it as I didn't want to mega glue the polystyrene up.
I ran out out the foam foil, when I looked back it was expensive and not what I thought i had ordered and didn't go as far as I thought, so went b&q and got the double bubble foil to do the rest with, will put a layer over the rear of the roof too. Then I have acoustic carpet to glue over it.

I did an oil change and did the filter this time, had to use a sharp chisel to crack the lip where the faces meet and then it came out. Was so tight before that even with a screwdriver through it wouldn't undo.

I got up Saturday and took it for a decent drive to get warm after resetting the open counts and did pump learn and calibrate, figured it may help the black smoke puff on hard acceleration around 4k

Noticed fault code for egr stuck open, that's new, cleared it and it had come back last I checked. Guessing it's filthy lol can hear it do the cleaning though.

Need to check fuse 27 as still got fault for glow plug sense circuit.

Gap at top left of side door been bugging me, tried to bend door, didn't help so decide to change the Wheely bits. Took a bit of faffing to get adjusted best I could and get carried away cleaning the grooves with bigwipes, they were full of filthy thick grease paste. Finished with a spritz of 3in1 oil it way smoother and can shut it second click with a half arsed attempt now :) and the gaps a lot smaller now but not completely gone.

And although I had the stereo working, the 4ch amp died for some reason. New one arrived today so I fitted that, moved it to on top of the sub and move the subs amp the to from the side which meant dragging the wires back down the a pillars and to the bottom of dash and under the mat, then extending the speaker wires. Sorted the power and earth's, just about managed to use a yellow spade on the power wire, soldered to as was a bit iffy without but fits in that block perfect.
Only got the door speakers atm but more on the rest later lol

I'm noticed a bit of hesitation when I want to get to speed on higher speed roads like ghe turbos not kicking in, might check th actuator as I seem to remember that looking rusty, the oil round the turbo so I've been expecting that to be going since I got it haha.

Biggest small annoyance is still the bloody water in fuel light, if I turn ignition on then off then on and start it won't come on, if I just start it then 9/10 times it comes on.

Steady progress tho,

ImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:11 am

Little update not much done but a few bits.

Water in fuel light was gone the day after last post, all I did was full tank of ultimate diesel instead of cheap stuff.

I did a repair to both the wheel tubs, couldn't be bothered to do a neat exact repair so just overlapped with the patch and welded both sides. No mega grind down just quick cleanup and coat of primer. The next bit to tackle is the floor.

I've been trying to decide if the beam that holds the bump stops needs to be repaired, MOT didn't mention it but it looks like the sides have bent out. I've read it is layers of metal so I think I am going to cut the floor and clean the beam up as best I can and then can judge it better, may end up adding some sheet to the sides.

After the bump stop area I want to fill all the screw holes and other holes from the floor, I have also marked out where I will mount the original passenger seat as I needed a 3rd seat a while ago which made me decide it's needed. To mount it I am going to have to cut out the ridges so the feet sit flat and I have some plates I have cut to put on the underside for strength. Will need to look if they actually fit and adjust as needed.

Then will probably primer + paint the full floor to protect before it gets covered then it's ready for when I get round to fitting some laminate floor.

I need to go round the outside with sander filler and sander and get it all looking nice then prime, stonechip and paint up to around the top of the bumper black.

Still seems to be running pretty well, although I keep noticing every so often the clutch doesn't seem to come all the way back up, hoping this isn't a sign of something about to go.

Hopefully I will have the floor and seats done soon so i can do more bits to the inside.

Helped a friend this weekend replace a wood back door with uPVC, handy having the van to load it in :) ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Mon May 29, 2023 11:17 am

Been a while but few bits of progress :)

I've flattened the floor for where the double seat sits and reinforced it and welded the nuts in place, given it a coat of red oxide for now as I'll do a better job when the rest of the floor is done.

Very happy with the seat but not finished yet, need to replace the bolts with high strength ones and need to fabricate a mount for the left seat belt. Then paint the feet fresh and clean the fabric.

Took a detour this weekend as the weather has been good recently, started to clean up the sides to get the paint looking better.
Started by giving it a wash then scrubbed the black marks and spots with kitchen green sponge thing, that made a massive difference but only did the left and back for now as it took ages.

Yesterday I got the sander on the door and added more filler, sanded, more filler sanded finer then cover in primer. Next is to sand the bottom from bumper to bumper and primer then sand it and spray with stone chip and black and then put some white on the top of side door.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon May 29, 2023 11:51 am

Nice work 8) :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby hilton484 » Mon May 29, 2023 5:29 pm

Thanks altransit, glad I started now far from a perfect paint job but it looks much tidier now :)

Will look better for a while but I wouldnt be surprised if a load of spots come back through by next year but i may be lucky and it last longer then expected :)

Today I got the stonechip on and the black paint, wasn't sure if the black was gonna look right or not but I'm happy with it now it's on :)

Just got to do the other side and the front and back and the bumpers :) at least the sliding door is done now so shouldn't be as bad to do the rest.ImageImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:17 am

Mini update, finished the other side off now.

Bumpers and black at bottom of back doors next :)

Thinking of doing a strip from the black to the line at the bottom of the window in the same silver (gun metal) that I used for the dash but think I will need to make the black metallic so I pairs better.

Did a few tests on some paper plate and really liked a rainbow holographic paint I got from b&q but it has a black base rather than laquer so could go over the silver or white toake all the same. Now think of getting the flakes and mixing into a tin of 2k laquer I have had for ages as it will use that up and is good stuff and will probably cover better with proper spray gun

Think I'm gonna roller the white as its windy up there lol ImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:57 pm

Few more bits done.

Took the bumper off to spray black and try and fix the corner where it overlaps and also to have a nosy underneath, no nasty surprises so that was nice.

Sprayed the bumper and sanded all the rusty stone chips out of the bonnet, was too windy so was wasting a lot of the paint cans, I should have done more primer and sanded and same for the gun metal. Gave it a heavy coat of lacquer to try and make up for it but still not the best. But still better the rusty chips all over :)

Also sprayed the metal step and towing eye gun metal for a bit of contrast didnt bother to wire brush or even clean it though :/ later haha

I removed the washer jets and drilled the hole bigger and butchered in the pair I bought for the insignia. The new ones spray a fan instead of a jet which I prefer. Still need to finalise the position and get the aim right but they work I think may need more pressure but was probably just the aim as was in a rush refitting everything :)

Next to do is the wings gun metal and probably going to do the mirror case black. Then continue the gun metal down the side up to line below the sliding door rail and do the back doors. Still need to finish the floor near bump stop + the little holes etc and the new seat belt mounting too hahaImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:37 pm

Got a bit more painting done on the passenger side, happy with how it came out but wish I had more time to do a better job, I'll touch them up at some point but bits like taking the handles off and the door rail and need to do the inside of the doors too. I want to paint the mirror cases black to as they are faded.

I plan to do a pinstripe along the transition which will cover the slithers of white I left when I masked it.

Just got to do the driver side next and then the back :)ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:53 pm

Unfortunately it was too windy and rainy to do the other side today :( so I did a bit of carpeting inside instead, I really like this stuff as it's very thick but ran out already and also ran out of glue too.

But i like how it looks and I'm looking forward to finishing it. I think I might print a panel that will sandwich the cut edge of the original headliner and have a fold at the top to velcro in place.ImageImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:42 pm

Only 6 weeks to go to festival so got a move on inside, the weather hasn't been decent enought to want to try finishing paint yet :(

I had some angle aluminium lying around so I've mounted that on either side with 5 M8 rivet nuts each to hold the bed rails, then mostly finished the carpeting and refuted the rails.

Started making up the bed parts, seems nice and solid. Need to get 2 more lengths to make the rest of the slats and paint the long rails black. Ended up the width of a small double (1.2m X 1.9m long) but not as long, might find a small double and cut it down.

Some niggly bits to sort like odd missing spots of carpet. The rear door wiring has an issue as it won't unlock with key now. Feel it needs a check over make sure all the work I've done mechanically is still good.

And then see what else I can get squeezed in for the festival before we go, some sort of kitchen type counter, storage maybe a sink.

Needs more lights now, the carpet is very black and makes all the shapes disappear haha.

Need to find a cheap van for my mate and get that good enough to go for then as well :OImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:10 am

Coming along nicely 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby hilton484 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:51 am

Bit more done

Finished the slats for the bed then labelled them all and the frame so it will refit the same and removed. I need the paint the 3 rails gloss black before refitting.

Took out the sub and amp and cleared everything else off the floor and highlighted all the holes and broken bolts to address.

Then I decided to investigate why the rear door would lock but not unlock. Found the answer when I took the loom out. Not sure how it happened but very lucky only one had actually snapped or would have had to find wiring diagrams to sort the order out.

Worked out pretty simple, I stripped, tinned, PUT HEAT SHRINK ON, then soldered. And did each one at a time, retaped it and refitted. All working properly again now.

Got the paint/rust stripping disk on the angle grinder and cleaned up the screwholes, drain holes and bolt holes and some rusty bubblings too. Then welded up the holes, the small ones I just welded, the bigger ones I used some washers to fill most of the gap. Could have done neater but I'll be covering it anyway, just don't want water getting in. I didn't touch the bump stop bits, I'm expecting the job to grow once I cut in so I'll leave it till I have more time to take.

Decided to use the paint I got for the outside as with all this non stop rain I won't need it for a while and it looks standard. Happy with how it came out will need a few touch up bit where rain got in the window when I demisted.

Going to cut the wood that was in when I got it to cover under the bed then something nicer in the front half.

Next steps are to start working out where other things will go and partitioning etc.

I took it for a trip on Friday too, sold a Vectra body kit I've had for years on eBay and agreed to meet at gretna green services as they were in Stranraer. Bout 2hrs each way 110miles ish and it was quite happy the whole way no issues other than watching the strange driving of others.

Got a Nessie's for the van and a highland coo for my mum cause she likes em hahaImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:01 am

Little bit more done but made quite the difference.

Got 1 pack of laminate for £15 reduced from £29 as it was a bit damaged, went down good enough but there are a couple of spot that it can sink where the ridges aren't there but should be ok. I stuck both the laminate and the rear boards down with grip fill. Got a few bits to finish round the seat with the offcuts and a threshold strip to stick between the front and back.

Spent most of today just moving bits around, looking and thinking. Decided the sub will go there on end as it should fit below the counter and won't have to extend the power and earth or relocate the speaker amp, cool box accessable from first rear door, will have 2 black boxes the other side and some extra space between.

Will partition of a section under bed for a wardrobe and set up shelves/drawers under the counter and a base to keep the water hog barrel in place.

I'm going to get a small electric tap sort of thing that I can supply from the barrel to use with a collapsible washing up bowl for a sink.

Should get a bit more tomorrow ImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!