*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby matthew2riches » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:55 am

I just thought I'd re-write my thread as the other was filled with useless crap :lol:

Keep checking back!
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby matthew2riches » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:58 am

Pics when the van was purchased for £650. Nearly a years MoT and 6 months tax. Runs fine but in need of some bodywork.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

With a mk4 Grill on I had:

Image

I also put some better rear doors on without windows in and it's also had a better bumper, sliding door, drivers door and bonnet which were all salvaged from another Transit I had. I also added the compulsory towbar step as well as a drivers captain seat :lol: It's also had a brand new rear bumper and end caps.
Last edited by matthew2riches on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby matthew2riches » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:02 am

To get the van to a useable state for carrying my stuff, it just needed ply lining and carpeting.

Image

Image

I ditched the idea of having board halfway up the sites in the end and opted for taller sides to stop possible damage to the metal. You'll also see the dodgy carpet... Not the nicest colour or pattern but it does the job :lol: It'll be black soon.

Image

Image

From the photos, you'll see what a strange order things are being done in... I tend not to have very much time so I normally do all the odd bits as and when and then when I get a full day, a big bit gets done :wink:

From here on, it's just bodywork :x Not my favourite job :lol:
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby matthew2riches » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:23 am

So, the only real way or sorting out the rust is to cut it out and replace it :( It's going to be a long slog :x

Oh dear:

Image

Image

Image

Cut it out:

Image

Image

Image

Just a few bits that were photographed... not including A LOT that wasn't!

Weld and fill:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Arch Repair:

Image

Image

Image

Filler time:

Image

Pasted on nice and thick! Did I mention? I HATE FILLER :evil:

Image

I have to keep looking at the other side every now and then to keep morale up We'll get there 8)

Image
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby matthew2riches » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:24 am

Some welding from the inside:

Image

Easy sand filler...?? My left eye!! Bloody stuff..... We're getting there :? I think :lol:

Image

A few little dings filled.

Image

Big gouge from previous owner filled (just a few low spots and digs in the filler to re-fill).

Image
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby matthew2riches » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:34 am

Next up will be more filling along with more filling and a bit of filling. After that, I'm hoping for new wings and front arches.

I'm rather busy with work at the moment but will update as soon as something gets done :D
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby MrMPuk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:49 am

The other thread's better as a progress report.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 27856
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:50 am

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby matthew2riches » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Had part of a day free so I've done a little more to the passenger side wheel arch... it's getting there, slowly.

Image

This is the next part after arch is finished :roll:

Image

I feel so demoralised and scattered at the moment. It's taking the pleasure out of what should be a pleasurable pursuit :(

And then the dog pissed on the airline :lol:
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:52 pm

looks good mate 8) you can see your obviously putting the effort into doing a good job :D
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44563
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby matthew2riches » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:24 pm

I purchased a far superior sliding door for £50 as I couldn't be assed with repairing the rust, dent pulling and filling my old one. We have progress..... but as soon as I got the tools out to finish - it rained :(

Image

As you can see from the photo, there is just 2 pieces in both bottom corners that need treating and a little wipe of filler followed by some stonechip :D

So when the rain clears off, I'll finish the door and passengers arch when I take the old door off.

All that's left is around the fuel cap, back doors and wings :D I'll hopefully finish before the winter :lol:
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby Nadjenka » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:39 pm

Image Keep at it 8) 8)
Image
1995 Mk5 150 LWB Minibus - camper-to-be - Lola's story :mrgreen:
1999 Mk5 190 LWB 2.5TDi, automatic, story has started :twisted:
User avatar
Nadjenka
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 11:59 pm
Location: West London

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby v8rick » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:54 pm

nice work :) looks like you are doing a good job, and doing it 'right first time'
v8rick
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby matthew2riches » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:32 pm

v8rick wrote:and doing it 'right first time'


Almost... there's a few work-arounds that need fixing once the bodywork is finished. It's just taking me soooooo long being self employed and all that :roll: :lol:
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby matthew2riches » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:35 am

Do not under-estimate the power of Jenolite!!!!!! I've given the spots on the sliding door 4 coats and look what it has done to the rust :D

Image

Image

Just need to wait for it to dry and then I'll fill, sand and paint :D
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Transit Antics - A Smallish, Majorish Rebuild

Postby matthew2riches » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Lots of Jenolite, filler, primer and a bit of stonechip later.... WE HAVE A DOOR!! (Marks are just dust from some other sanding I'm doing).

Image

I'll give it a wash and fit it tomorrow :D Next up is around the fuel filler cap and sill of the sliding door to rear wheel arch :)

We're nearing a re-spray 8)
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.