*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Offroad MK3 Camper

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Offroad MK3 Camper

Postby greenyamochop » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:27 pm

I thought Rockwool was a no no?
greenyamochop
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby axxez » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes and no ;-) This company Rockwool(R) has different products, for example the rockwool, but also some isolation-mat. First is a no-go in most cases. Second is great, another company sells something similar as "X-treme Isolator" which is often used in DIY campers. As I bought the wool before knowing about this (was quite cheap) I just used it for few parts where everything else would be bad to assimilate (the horizontal holms). The problem if you only use the wool is that it can keep water, also it shrinks and falls down so useless if you do the whole side of your car. Also bad on the floor. Anyway, old campers where done like that. Also my '91 Westfalia Transit had insulation with glas wool. So it's not too bad, but still there are much better materials to use. The isolation mats where quite expensive, like 100 Euros for one Box..
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:47 am

I really hate big campers with tight living space but a lot of storage room. I need some space to breath in my van! That's why I always prefered the Nugget and disliked those Reimo vans. In the Nugget you can walk a few steps behind the seats, which gives a feeling of space. That's why I reconsidered my ideas. I definetely want a shower, but why haveing a separate room for it? A shower can be realized with a curtain as well! The tub will be on the floor, covered by wood to step on if not needed. Also it's near to the sink, so water is close. It's also possible to leave the shampoo on the cooking-furniture. I didn't mesure yet, but the roof window should be just over the shower. Looks like that:

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jonochap » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:20 am

I liked the design with the seats in the same line as the front ones, safer to carry passengers :) ive also seen them where the worktop section next to the shower flips over to help space and open the back door. You may want to put an upstand at the base of the shower to stop ingress and also weight the curtain :) lovin the thang though
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby axxez » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:58 am

Carrying passengers is out of question here in germany :( There are too many rules to make that legal (for example 1 windows on both sides, original seats --> no bed or expensive camping seat/bed, possibility to talk to the driver...), so it will remain a 2-seat car.

What did you mean by upstand, I don't understand that one..?
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jonochap » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:12 am

Just a bit of a step to stop the water getting back into the kitchen area and give the shower curtain something to sit behind at the bottom :) unless you have a tray with one built in
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby axxez » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 pm

The problem with your idea is that the car is not too high. In total it will be sth. like 1,70 + some few centimeters while on the shower-part another 10-12cm are missing. So the higher this shower-platform will get the less you can stand straigt. I even thought about cutting a hole into the floor (wooden plate and insulation of course, not the metal) for the shower, which could save me maximum 4,3cm but no insulation to the floor then. Putting some insulation into the shower while not using it would be the way to go. But still i'd have lots of thermal bridges then... So maybe not worth it. And very cold feet during showering btw :D

I also finished some work today. The wooden sides and the floor are now complete, though still some parts of the insulation missing in this area. I'm still trying to find a solution for the roof... I want a big window so I can watch the stars before falling asleep, but the roof has a very stupid construction so usual big camping windows of 90cm x ? won't fit without risky isolation (might cause water problems!). The idea of having 70cm x 2cm of free space underneath a 90cm window is not an option for me as I don't believe longtime waterproof isolation is possible. Was looking for some plexiglas as well, but quite expensive and not that good for me. Any ideas are welcome!!!

Here are the pictures of today:

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jonochap » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:21 am

See what you are saying about the shower...i was thinking just a lip to the opening :) you could put a lip in and some vinyl up the upstand (wet room) to save height...maybe a couple of sun roofs for the sky?
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby axxez » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Let's see about the shower, right now I build the couch/bed. It's just an easy box, but a lot to think about! It's possible to remove it again.

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Kitchen - not done yet, but a start. All details missing of course, like drawers and so on.. Next step is to finalize the roof, as soon as my other window arrives. If it doesn't arrive soon, I'll build the door to the front then. Removed the window also, anyone interested? ;-)

The dots on some of the pics seem to be the wooden dust in the air that I'm breathing. Cleaned the camera-lense several times, but it didn't help..

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:12 pm

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:08 am

From a theoretical point of view I'm not very satisfied with the position of my speaker: too close to the seat, can only see the speaker on the sight I'm sitting on --> no direct sound from the other one! But sound-quality is so good that I really think about not improving it anymore by reconstructing the case.

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Panel.

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:42 pm

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Second big roof window & some interiour stuff...

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!