*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1995 Mk5 Tilt & Slide Recovery truck project

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

1995 Mk5 Tilt & Slide Recovery truck project

Postby bringmycar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:13 am

Olivia.jpg
Here's my new project called Olivia. It's in a bit of a sad state but i'm hoping to get her looking her best with some improvements. As I got her, she needs welding and some rust on the bed taken care of. The wiring has been vandalized and ripped out. The fuel tank had been drilled by a thoughtful individual who decided to save me some weight by taking the heavy fuel out for me :x so a new tank is required. The interior is best described as minimalist having lost some fixtures and fittings and the seats are home to a variety of algae and mold. I can get it to start by applying power to the start solenoid and the starter motor and the fuel hoses into a bottle filled with diesel. To stop it it needs to be stalled.

It came from Wales to Manchester and after being excited for it to come home, I was rewarded with a weeks wait and frantic calls trying to arrange transportation. Finally after much calling, it was recovered the 137 miles to Manchester for £400 and 2 days wait.

I would like to freshen the looks of it. I originally wanted to try to convert the front end to a Mk7 one but i've decided against that now and want to keep it a Mk5 but with a some nice touches like maybe a sports bumper, louvered bonnet, glass headlights for HID or the twin headlights i've seen on another transit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bringmycar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 1995 Mk5 Tilt & Slide Recovery truck project

Postby mrepson » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:10 pm

looks a good long bed, 8) is it 16ft long :?: has the chassis been extended 2ft,to make it fit on,
mrepson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bringmycar » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:18 am

The bed is 14 feet long, and I can't see any signs of a chassis extension. Maybe once it's washed down and the chassis more cleaner it might show signs of an extension but from brief exam it looks to be standard factory.
bringmycar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bringmycar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Bought the fuel tank today and apparently its the later 98 model tank that fits and not the 94 one?? Also the dash has been changed from a 94 to a later smiley one according to the guy I bought the parts from. Anyway the tank's in and whilst laying underneath the truck in a puddle of rain, oil and muck I noticed one of the hydraulic pipes for the bed was dangerously close to the prop, so i've double cable tied it out of the way (was a failure waiting to happen). I also picked up a spare wheel, a glove box and passenger window winder and including the tank, the total spend was £85. Pleased with that.
2015-10-21 20.38.01.jpg

I'm tempted to keep the plastic headlights and just install the HID kit into them instead of putting in the earlier glass headlights. If anyone has a pair of glass headlights to fit going cheap and in good condition, then let me know - I might just go for it anyway.

Next on the list is some wiring and aero wipers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bringmycar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mrepson » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:02 pm

got a brand new glass nearside headlight, £10 if you want it, am in blackpool,got a few scrap turbo smileys,if you need any parts, :)
mrepson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby transitandy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:28 pm

Nice tilt and slide m8y :)
TRANSIT M8, SAY NO MORE YOUR IN...... FORD THROUGH TO THE BONE......
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby davew2 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Nice truck that looks to me like a proper mk5 cab with the vents on the back so will be a smiley :wink:
If it ain't got leaf springs it in't a commercial
davew2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby truckcreation » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi mate looks like one of our trucks built many years ago !! Has it pro on engine???
truckcreation
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:26 pm

A 95 should be a MK 5
That certainly looks like a MK 5, as said it's got the cab vents, it also has the correct wings, mirrors dash etc
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby bringmycar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:34 am

mrepson wrote:got a brand new glass nearside headlight, £10 if you want it, am in blackpool,got a few scrap turbo smileys,if you need any parts, :)

Wish i'd seen your response in time. Gone and bought a pair of ebay
bringmycar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bringmycar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:36 am

truckcreation wrote:Hi mate looks like one of our trucks built many years ago !! Has it pro on engine???

Searched all over the engine but didn't find the letters "PRO" on the engine, unless i'm looking in the wrong place?
bringmycar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bringmycar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:48 am

Started the stripping of the cab to reveal where I need to replace or repair metal.
Bought some sections of ebay and as soon as they arrive and its not raining, i'll start the welding.
2015-10-28 10.22.12.jpg

2015-10-28 10.20.16.jpg

2015-10-28 10.22.53.jpg

Meanwhile, the alternator was only reading 12.2 volts and creeping up slowly to 13v so I bought a new remanufactured unit that came this morning so i'll be replacing that today (raining so mechanical jobs only) hopefully.
2015-10-28 10.23.24.jpg

The one I bought of ebay was supposed to be 95amps but it turned out to be a 90amp. Not complaining as the price was £52 inc post.
bringmycar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bringmycar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:50 am

mrepson wrote:got a brand new glass nearside headlight, £10 if you want it, am in blackpool,got a few scrap turbo smileys,if you need any parts, :)

Power steering is not working so I might need the pump. Once I confirm this and get it off i'll let you know.
bringmycar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dieselhead123 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:48 pm

bringmycar wrote:Bought the fuel tank today and apparently its the later 98 model tank that fits and not the 94 one??

Hi there, you might need to swap the fuel sender with the original one. The later senders, (used with the later electronic drive speedo clusters), are wired in 'reverse'. As a consequence the fuel gauge will read in reverse, full = empty, empty = full.

If your cluster is the early cable drive speedo type then you need the sender with a part number starting 95VB, later one, (to suit electronic speedo cluster), is 97VB.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bringmycar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:58 pm

dieselhead123 wrote:
bringmycar wrote:Bought the fuel tank today and apparently its the later 98 model tank that fits and not the 94 one??

Hi there, you might need to swap the fuel sender with the original one. The later senders, (used with the later electronic drive speedo clusters), are wired in 'reverse'. As a consequence the fuel gauge will read in reverse, full = empty, empty = full.

If your cluster is the early cable drive speedo type then you need the sender with a part number starting 95VB, later one, (to suit electronic speedo cluster), is 97VB.

TIM

Thanks for that. The cluster is fully electronic and the wires of the fuel sender matched the one in the new tank. Have not finished the wiring yet but once done hopefully it will work.
Thanks
bringmycar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!