*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fitting a Duratorq Diesel in a Mk5 Transit

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Fitting a Duratorq Diesel in a Mk5 Transit

Postby dieselhead123 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:09 pm

A forum member contacted us recently regarding fitting a Duratorq diesel engine from a Mk6 into his Mk5.
This thread is about the development and fitting of an adapter plate between the Mk5 Di Mt75 gearbox and the Mk6 Duratorq engine. Once the adapter plate has been finalised it is hoped that the member will add to this thread with information regarding fitting of the engine into the van.

The first stage of the process was to 'overlay' the CAD drawings form the two engines, after a few measurements were taken, it was decided to use a 10mm thick steel plate, a 'first cut' was produced.

Here we see the plate bolted to the rear of a 2.0 Duratorq engine;
You can clearly see the familiar shape of the Di bell housing in the plate.

Many modern engines, the Duratorq included, feature cast alloy sump pans that accept bell housing fixings, with this in mind our Di bell housing plates have been altered to accommodate this, all new plates will feature a 'complete ring' fully enclosing the lower part of the bell housing avoiding the need to install an additional steel plate below engine block level.

With this conversion we have decided to use the existing Duratorq starter motor, the large 'hole' that can be seen in the plate is needed as the Duratorq starter 'overhangs' the gearbox;

With the plate fitted to a Di gearbox you can see that a section of the casing will need to be removed to accommodate the starter;

As this is intended to be used with both the 2.0 and the 2,4 Duratorq engines, we next looked at the flywheels. The 2.0 and 2.4 flywheels are interchangeable as regards fitting to the crankshaft but the 2.4 unit is 'thicker' than the 2.0. The increased thickness of the 2.4 flywheel places the clutch further inside the gearbox bell housing and was deemed more suitable for this conversion. In both cases the flywheels we checked were factory Ford 'solid' units.
If you are using the 2.0 engine you will still need to use a 2.4 flywheel.

More later,
TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Fitting a Duratorq Diesel in a Mk5 Transit

Postby paul2012 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:55 pm

Interesting. I assume it we be with mech pump.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ffsagain » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi tim it's good to see some pics of the adapter plate you are doing for me and I see it's all coming together nicely, and I see what you meen now about removing some of the di gearbox and some removal of the starter fins.
Any help from other member is encouraged as im not sure if I will need to install a lift pump.
It's going to be a mechanical pump so nasty electronics to complicate things
Once again cheers tim
ffsagain
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dieselhead123 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:58 pm

paul2012 wrote:Interesting. I assume it we be with mech pump.

In this instance the member has opted to use the mechanical pump but I am sure the Tddi management system could be retrofitted if desired. Sufficient 'clearance' can be provided in the adapter plate for the installation of the CKP sensor.

We do still need a spigot bearing, the 2.4 rwd one will also fit the 2.0 crankshaft, but will not extend far enough towards the clutch to fully support the input shaft of the Di gearbox. A longer bearing of the same O.D/I.D is not available so we will provide a bearing 'pre-assembled' in a bearing housing, similar to that provided with our RV8 conversion. A spacer will also be required under the clutch arm 'pivot'.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:20 pm

dieselhead123 wrote:

In this instance the member has opted to use the mechanical pump but I am sure the Tddi management system could be retrofitted if desired. Sufficient 'clearance' can be provided in the adapter plate for the installation of the CKP sensor.

We do still need a spigot bearing, the 2.4 rwd one will also fit the 2.0 crankshaft, but will not extend far enough towards the clutch to fully support the input shaft of the Di gearbox. A longer bearing of the same O.D/I.D is not available so we will provide a bearing 'pre-assembled' in a bearing housing, similar to that provided with our RV8 conversion. A spacer will also be required under the clutch arm 'pivot'.

TIM

Hi Tim had a spigot bearing west on a mk 6 damaging the shaft a few years back when engines were scarce .Removed the shaft and bored the hole to fit a smiley bearing :) Fitted a clutch to said van last week and still flying.
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby V184 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Would it not be a lot cheaper to fit a 2.4 duratorq complete with its original gearbox (mk6) & modify the crossmember etc ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:40 pm

V184 wrote:Would it not be a lot cheaper to fit a 2.4 duratorq complete with its original gearbox (mk6) & modify the crossmember etc ?

You would need two drivers one to steer it and one in the back to change gear :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby V184 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:42 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:
V184 wrote:Would it not be a lot cheaper to fit a 2.4 duratorq complete with its original gearbox (mk6) & modify the crossmember etc ?

You would need two drivers one to steer it and one in the back to change gear :wink:

How was that neat mk1 done with the 120 horse 2.4 ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ffsagain » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:28 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:

I allready have a 2.0 that I'm rebuilding that way I know it's a good engine
ffsagain
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ffsagain » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:31 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:
dieselhead123 wrote:

TIM

Hi Tim had a spigot bearing west on a mk 6 damaging the shaft a few years back when engines were scarce .Removed the shaft and bored the hole to fit a smiley bearing :) Fitted a clutch to said van last

Did you bore out the crank shaft to fit di bearing??
ffsagain
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Yep but had to remove the shaft .
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ffsagain » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:45 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Yep but had to remove the shaft .

Cranks out so il get in touch with Tim and get his thoughts
Cheers bud
ffsagain
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:27 am

V184 wrote:
bambi mk 1 wrote:

How was that neat mk1 done with the 120 horse 2.4 ?

It's only mk1 above floor level, all the rest is from the original van, doesn't really look right imo
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby V184 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:25 am

You would need two drivers one to steer it and one in the back to change gear :wink:[/quote][/quote]

I cant see the gearstick would be that far out on the original mk6 box :)

Using the 2 litre would you not also have to modify the sump ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ffsagain » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Are the sumps different on 2.0 and 2.4 then ??
ffsagain
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!