*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

At the very beginning of a panel to camper conversion

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

At the very beginning of a panel to camper conversion

Postby j&k » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:39 pm

Greetings, I and a friend have recently taken a transit van to our bosom, never had one before. A mutual aquaintance had bought it, was driving it home and couldn't start it after stopping for refreshment so he dumped it in a garage forecourt, j and I rescued it and are planning to turn it into a mobile home type of vehicle.

It's a transit190 (94-00), no idea yet what that means, It's a LWB, Long Wheel Base and HiRoof made in 1998.

I think it's a Mk 4 and it looks like the front top part has been replaced, can see loads of rivets all around it, single rear wheel and a couple of welded patches.

I plan to have the AA inspect it as I want it for more than a few months and don't want to waste energy and money.

That's it for now, except we are in Cornwall, UK

Update, it seems the AA won't inpect a van over 15, I'm now thinking of putting it through an MOT, or possibly pay a mechanic to look it over, I'm only really interested in long term issues, things that will mean it will have to be scrapped before we enjoy the fruits of our labour.

From posts on here it appears to be an extended LWB, I would welcome comments from people who have experience of converting, even if it is only, find another project, etc.
j&k

Re: At the very beginning of a panel to camper conversion

Postby spudmab » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:03 pm

I would say 1998 would be a MK5, they call the smiley front as they have an oval grill, the main or worst problems with transits is rust, have a good look under the van and don't be surprised if there is rust, another area that is prone to going is the wheel arches,

As far as the engine they are nearly bullet proof, even if the timing belt snaps they are easy to fix.

I have had 3 mk5s and they ran and ran, just rusted away. Good luck with the conversion remember to take loads of photos
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: At the very beginning of a panel to camper conversion

Postby j&k » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks for post spudmab, I have put some pics in the gallery, I believe you are correct about it being a Mk5
j&k

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!