*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

6 wheel van

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

6 wheel van

Postby astra » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:32 pm

Hello all,

After the long drive back from Sheffield, the next day, starting it in the morning it appears the engine smokes a lot ( a real lot - constantly, will post a vid). I have not had time to see the colour of the smoke, but perhaps it may need a new engine. Now I assume it has MT75 gear box, what engine us a direct fit to this gear box? Many thanks Dave/Ben
astra
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 6 wheel van

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:53 pm

:(

Luke knows the history of the engine - he used to use it.

Unfortunately the 2.5di is the only engine that will bolt straight up to the gearbox, ford did an adaptor plate to fit Pintos (easy to find) and 2.9V6 (rocking horse). Dieselhead123 has made adaptor plates to fit essex v6 and rover V8s.

If its the engine itself that is at fault I have a lowish mileage 2.5di you can have - but other than the inlet manifold it has no ancillaries etc (not even a crank pulley)
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:10 pm

The engine should be good - it has been stood a while but it was a crackin engine when it was my van when it had 4 wheels - i'd try a diesel filter 1st before pulling it out - i only laid the van up as i bought a tourneo engine was mint :D

this was the van+engine Image
and also this but without the trailer on :lol: Image

and yes it has the MT75
Luke
Site Admin

Postby astra » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:17 pm

Going to have a play on the weekend, see if we can work out whats going on.
Thanks
astra
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby astra » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:19 pm

MinorMatt wrote::(

Luke knows the history of the engine - he used to use it.

Unfortunately the 2.5di is the only engine that will bolt straight up to the gearbox, ford did an adaptor plate to fit Pintos (easy to find) and 2.9V6 (rocking horse). Dieselhead123 has made adaptor plates to fit essex v6 and rover V8s.

If its the engine itself that is at fault I have a lowish mileage 2.5di you can have - but other than the inlet manifold it has no ancillaries etc (not even a crank pulley)

Ok thanks
astra
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby astra » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:43 pm

Good afternoon all, Right this is a video of the van started from cold after just having a new fuel filter fitted, There is no smoke on start up but if you hold the revs at different points it sounds to me like it's misfiring. The smoke doesn't smell like burnt oil more like diesel.

I hope someone could possibly shed some light on this please
Thanks Ben :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9wPBzagbJw
astra
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby smokeytransit » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:00 pm

If the smoke is grey/white in colour and smells of diesel I would be guessing that u may have a bad injector as this is what happened to my mk5 pickup when the injector tip was starting to split.
Ford, all the power beyond the world.

Mk6 transit 85 t260
smokeytransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby astra » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:25 pm

smokeytransit wrote:If the smoke is grey/white in colour and smells of diesel I would be guessing that u may have a bad injector as this is what happened to my mk5 pickup when the injector tip was starting to split.

Is there a way to test the injectors in situation or do they all need to come out,
astra
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby smokeytransit » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:37 pm

What I done when I had symptoms similar to u is with the van running crack the injector union one at a time engine tone should change tighten up. Then on to the next one and so on if engine tone does not change well then u have a problem with that injector.

Mk6 transit 85 t260
smokeytransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby astra » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:45 pm

smokeytransit wrote:What I done when I had symptoms similar to u is with the van running crack the injector union one at a time engine tone should change tighten up. Then on to the next one and so on if engine tone does not change well then u have a problem with that injector.

So I am guessing that if i rev the van up so its missing and smoking and then loosen a injector union one at a time the smoking should stop and it will just be running on 3 cylinders but no smoke.
astra
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby smokeytransit » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:51 pm

It should be done while idiling. Smoke won't disappear but engine tone should change if that injector is good it's the one that the engine tone does not change that will be ur problem if it is injector related.

Mk6 transit 85 t260
smokeytransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby astra » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:58 pm

smokeytransit wrote:It should be done while idiling. Smoke won't disappear but engine tone should change if that injector is good it's the one that the engine tone does not change that will be ur problem if it is injector related.

It seems to run fine on idle and not smoke but when it is revved at just over idle it smokes so should i perform this test when it is slightly revved. I know the diesel will leak everywhere and at high pressure, but that might be good for getting the injectors out bit of penetrating oil and all that :shock:
astra
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby smokeytransit » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:23 pm

U wont be removing or loosening the injector body for this check as u are are simply cracking the injector union where the fuel line meets the top of the injector as if u were bleeding the fuel system.

Mk6 transit 85 t260
smokeytransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby astra » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:26 pm

smokeytransit wrote:U wont be removing or loosening the injector body for this check as u are are simply cracking the injector union where the fuel line meets the top of the injector as if u were bleeding the fuel system.

Yes I know that but if the injector is faulty the smoke out of the exhaust will stop, I assume? it will just run on 3 and not smoke.
astra
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby smokeytransit » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:37 pm

When I performed this test on my truck I did it on idle when there was no smoke and engine idled fairly ok it was under acceleration/ revved up it smoked. If the injector tip is cracked/ split like mine was the engine note wont change.
Last edited by smokeytransit on Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mk6 transit 85 t260
smokeytransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!