*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 tourneo jag-van mk2

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk5 tourneo jag-van mk2

Postby Pocketrocket » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:39 pm

DodgeRover wrote:Any news yet?
It might be worth trying for a bit of a good will discount on the repair if the boards are known to be faulty?

Sorry been on holiday with the family.....and the van, yes the ms has returned, came back on the Wednesday 27th, it was the expansion part that was faulty I got my wires crossed (in my head that is :lol: ) and the main board is OK (must've been the failed cap that's damaged the expansion?, he's sent the old expansion board back so I may be able to get it repaired. ....I dunno :roll:
I'm hoping to get the ms re-fitted and trialed before mania but as the rear crank oil seal is now leaking that will take up a days work 1 weekend now too........fingers crossed I have enough time
1999 mk5 tourneo (previously jagvan, now Vw PD powered)
2000 mk5 with a jaguar twist :wink: (now dead but will live on)
1996 disco 300tdi 1.2 offroad toy :D
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Result!!
The van is alive.....after much swearing and stamping my feet this week she finally fired up this evening! (Even went for a little drive round the block)
I could've bloody kicked myself as I've been tracing what I thought was a power fault to the coils for the last 2 evenings....... turned out to be me not even putting a bloody fuse in the slot!! :lol:
Could've slapped myself round the face for being so stupid! :roll:
Anyway she was idling at around 2500rpm but I could here a hissing noise pointing towards maybe a vacuum leak somewhere.
I swapped over the inlet gaskets as a first port of call but didn't get time to retry as it was late and didn't want to wake the dead! :lol:
Also fitted a little chin spoiler to the lower bumper, think it looks OK?
I'll do a quick video tomorrow once she's idling nicely :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:23 pm

So as promised (well not quite as it's a day late :lol: ) here a link to a Lil video of the van running/ticking over.

https://youtu.be/brn-OjhNCdI

Apologies for the state of the van, she hasn't had a wash since before our hols :roll: :lol:
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blue74 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:38 pm

I have been following your progress for quite a while now , nice to see it running nicely now. The tuner studio software is well worth the cost.
Good work keep it up.
blue74
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun May 12, 2019 11:51 pm

blue74 wrote:I have been following your progress for quite a while now , nice to see it running nicely now. The tuner studio software is well worth the cost.
Good work keep it up.

Cheers buddy!
It's running, not quite as nicely as I'd like it to be but it's getting there, it seems every time I run the auto tune on stunerstudio it gets that little bit better......which is to be expected.
It still has a few snags to sort out in the lower rev range like a stumble on acceleration and cruise but it's getting there.
I'm still watching lots of vids on YouTube and picking up a few tips here/there and I think I'm going in the right direction with it.......that said I'm still a complete novice! :lol:
The tunerstudio is free to down load but yes I did pay and upgrade to the extra features.
That's basically all I've done the last few weeks, I've done a few odd jobs that needed finishing like the wiring to the inverter so that I can run/charge the laptop all the way down to mania while having the auto tune running and also had a couple of new tyre fitted to the rears (245-45-17) as they kept scrubbing the arches but that's about it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:46 pm

So I haven't updated in the last month........ and oh boy what an eventful month it's been! :shock:

So we set off for mania on the 17th, got about 10miles or so when the fuel pump decided to give up, luke arranged a tow for me and we arrived 7hrs later!
Managed to borrow a high pressure pump from a friend that was coming to pod for the day on the sunday just to get me back up and running purely so that I didn't have to call the rac! :oops:
Then on the journey home in convoy with luke and the mania trailer home the clutch cable snapped right after he'd told me over the cb he'd had a blow out!........ What a weekend!!! :roll:

So....... the week after thought I'd get the rear crank seal done as it was dribbling oil onto the exhaust and burning off causing a stink........job done.....and in the meantime new wahlbro fuel pump ordered and new clutch cable too.
Great stuff.......now it was the turn of the megaquirt to act up, wouldn't run properly and wouldn't idle either, played around with the settings a little and managed to get her to idle nicely again.....but drove like a pile of turd! :x
Made the decision to refit the old ecu for the time being (now a days job) as what the ms really needs is a wideband lambda, and as I need reliability and don't have the funds just yet I thought it was best so I didn't run the engine from what i think may be extremes of rich/lean all the time.
So again, just before I pulled the ms out I started getting a strange vibration through the rev range which got worse as the revs risen. My 1st thought was that the pressure plate had come loose or at least thrown a bolt and was out of balance........but no, this is now becoming the cursed jagvan, it turns out it the dmf! :roll:
I do have a spare from the 1st engine that was fitted but if this fails anytime soon I'm afraid it may be curtains for the jag lump :cry: as I can't afford to keep throwing money at it......

So that's where I am at the minute......in other news she did redeem herself and pull in 5th spot in the mk3/4/5 category which is my 1st trophy ever so was chuffed with that 8)

Just a few pics to try an sum up
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:17 pm

So just a little update, not much has changed in jagvan world, it's now back on the mondeo ecu till we've been on our hols again, it's a little heavier on fuel but it is reliable, I haven't given up on the ms just yet as it will be going back on towards the end of next month, I've ironed/tidied out some wiring that I had as a temporary so I'm hoping g this was giving a bit of a bad earth feedback.
I'll hopefully be in a position to buy a wideband by then too so will be able to watch the afr-s a little more closely.
Not much has happened other wise, she passed her mot with flying colours, I fitted new track rod ends beforehand as 1 had a slight play and fitted a new lower ball joint on the ns as this developed a knock a few days after the mot.........seems she doesn't like being poked around with :lol: but other than a bath or 2 it's business as usual 8)

Oh Yeh and the clutch/flywheel seem to be holding up too :wink:
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blue74 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:58 am

Good to see you have it running again.
What injectors are you running with the Mondeo ECU for it to run properly, with the 2.5L ECU on the 3.0L engine?

I was going to use the Jag duel mass flywheel as well but do you think they are a bit prone to failure? The other option would be a Mondeo single mass flywheel however would have to sort out the ring gear to suit it.
blue74
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pocketrocket » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:49 pm

blue74 wrote:Good to see you have it running again.
What injectors are you running with the Mondeo ECU for it to run properly, with the 2.5L ECU on the 3.0L engine?

I was going to use the Jag duel mass flywheel as well but do you think they are a bit prone to failure? The other option would be a Mondeo single mass flywheel however would have to sort out the ring gear to suit it.

At the moment it's using the jag injectors what it came with as they were swapped back over when I ran the megasquirt, I was using the mondeo injectors in a modified inlet before the ms went in.
As for the flywheel I think the dm is as reliable as any other dm, and a single mass is available from a performance company for around 600quid (can't remember who now), the Mondeo flywheel does bolt up but the ring gear is different and the diameter of where the gear sits on the actual flywheel differs from the jag unit (trying to remember when I researched it :lol: ) so are not interchangeable.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:17 pm

Evening all, some of you may know via Facebook but for those that don't I've decided to pull the jaguar engine/gearbox out of the tourneo.
It's not a decision I've come to easily but after 3yrs of blood, sweat, tears, swearing and more tears :lol: and the future need to be more economical it's time to go.
It's been a cracking project for me and although it's not a new thing in the engine swapping world it was a massive leap for me as I'd never done anything like it.
Anyway I'd been thinking about it for a while and deciding what engine could go in next that's pokey, good on fuel, plentiful, and cheap enough to find in a donor car.
Between me and luke it was decided a vw 1.9pd would be a good all round compromise and as he's already done the conversion it seemed the best way to go instead of putting back in a standard Di.
It'll be coupled to the transit mt75 via a custom adapter plate to keep standard parts/mounts/prop etc and the speedo will work again, it should make for a nice motorway cruiser coupled to the 4.11 rear diff.
Me and luke will making a custom adapter plate as he's on with another project that's using the same engine too.
All that's left to do is to think of a new name as it won't be the jag-van anymore.......
I did think about the vag-van but........

Well you know!!!! :lol:
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:27 pm

Ok so the jag engine is out and is with its new owner, but before that happened a donor car was had in the way of a B5.5 passat estate.
It's a 1.9 130pd highline so has leather seats (hopefully worth a couple of quid) and was in Newcastle of all places so a road trip was in order for its collection!
Me and luke are currently in the middle of making our adapter plates so for the next few weeks progress will be slow but I'm hoping the conversion is in and done drivable before Xmas :?
Anyway I've got an mt75 ready to go in we just need to determine which clutch setup to use.
So as usual a few pics 8)
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Love the van and the thread. Keep up the great work! I can understand why you'd not be satisfied with putting a 2.5 Di engine.... I'm trying to get used to my newly-purchased 76 hp banana engine in a SWB high roof. The slowest vehicle I've ever driven, save for tractors. I intend to eventually adapt a turbo to this engine but I need to get it roadworthy first. Enthusiasts like you are an inspiration.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:49 pm

hetman wrote:Love the van and the thread. Keep up the great work! I can understand why you'd not be satisfied with putting a 2.5 Di engine.... I'm trying to get used to my newly-purchased 76 hp banana engine in a SWB high roof. The slowest vehicle I've ever driven, save for tractors. I intend to eventually adapt a turbo to this engine but I need to get it roadworthy first. Enthusiasts like you are an inspiration.

Thanks for the kind comments, Yeh although I have pulled the jag engine I do still want it to perform a little better than a standard Di (although this wouldn't be hard :lol: ) and do intend on doing some towing with her in the future so a little more power and economy was a must, the rest of the van has just evolved over time, there's still plenty I want to do and intend on doing but getting the pd in and running is top of the list :wink:
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:27 am

So progress on the tourneo is slow....well slow is not entirely correct, it's stopped! :lol:
Since I removed the jag engine I haven't done a single thing with it other than move it from my drive to storage while I pull the engine/loom from the passat.
Basically that's all that's happened as I've been busy rebuilding my 300tdi disco for the winter (but the way it's going it will probably be after all the snows come and gone!!)
Some progress has been made with the passat up to the point where most of the internal loom is out and free, it just needs thining and then refitting to the engine block just to make sure it's still good....... 8)
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:37 pm

Quiet Sunday after freezing my knackers off after doing some of the loom for the tourneo so thought I'd post an update.
The loom is all but thinned bar the dash cluster but as it contains the immobiliser it will have to stay till I can get that removed from the ecu.
I've started removing the front off the passat to get at the engine and on 1st looks it looks like it will go into the tourneo nicely, I may have to reroute a few things but I'll cover those when I get to them.
I also picked up a pair of tyres for the rear but being 275s I just hope they'll fit inside the rear arches :lol:
Just a couple of pics to revive the thread too 8)
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!