*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 tourneo jag-van mk2

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk5 tourneo jag-van mk2

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:06 pm

Update for today, the new rad/cooler combo and frame is all bolted in, the carbon dipped slam panel that I've had for ages is fitted too.
I also made up a bracket for the golf header tank that luke donated, the passat 1 is an awkward shape so the golf 1 suits the position better. (I'll just have to extend the wiring for the coolant level sensor)
Tried for a 1st start last week but something was obviously a miss as the fuel pump wasn't running with the ignition so went through it again and found a loose earth.
Hey presto she's a runner! :D
Chuffed is an understatement! :lol: (short video as there's no coolant in just yet)

https://youtu.be/0WufSXlM6CI
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1999 mk5 tourneo (previously jagvan, now Vw PD powered)
2000 mk5 with a jaguar twist :wink: (now dead but will live on)
1996 disco 300tdi 1.2 offroad toy :D
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby waerhy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:51 pm

Just finished reading from start to finish, and your conversion has certainly got my interest. I currently drive a mk7 2.2 fwd trend, but the mk 5 has always been my favourite! the only thing is the need for ear defenders when driving the buggers. I recently had a spin in my dads old mk5 that my brother is running and I forgot how loud and slow they are. (I still think it will be running long after my mk 7 has had engine failure :P
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:16 pm

So I finally managed a test drive in the tourneo today.

Did a few odd jobs beforehand like fitting a non return valve to the fuel line, bodged together a 90deg boost hose as the 1 I'd ordered didn't arrive in time.

Took some templates for the brackets for the grill to mount to aswell, fitted the egt and boost guages and refitted the dash back together.

Here's the link to YouTube for a short video of the test drive on our street and a few pics too 8)

https://youtu.be/qIjpLmP3rYE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby waerhy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:38 pm

would you say there was ample power from the 1.9?
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:41 am

waerhy wrote:Just finished reading from start to finish, and your conversion has certainly got my interest. I currently drive a mk7 2.2 fwd trend, but the mk 5 has always been my favourite! the only thing is the need for ear defenders when driving the buggers. I recently had a spin in my dads old mk5 that my brother is running and I forgot how loud and slow they are. (I still think it will be running long after my mk 7 has had engine failure :P

Thanks for taking the time to read, I never actually drove this van with the di fitted so I've nothing to guage the noise level on, it's certainly not a nice noise to listen to at the side of the v6 that was in before! :lol:

waerhy wrote:would you say there was ample power from the 1.9?

It seems so at the moment, it was literally the 1st time I've driven it and couldn't really get the turbo spinning up fully as the boost hose I've bodged would've probably popped off but 1st impressions feel like it should be more than ample.
I am intending on having it mapped etc further down the line so should be more than adequate by then 8)
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby waerhy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:28 pm

Are these engines mostly controlled from an Ecu? Dont suppose theres an option to run it purely mechanically?
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:09 pm

waerhy wrote:Are these engines mostly controlled from an Ecu? Dont suppose theres an option to run it purely mechanically?

I think they did an earlier pre pd mechanical pump version but I'm not completely clued up on the vw lumps :?:
Last edited by Pocketrocket on Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:22 pm

Had a good few hours on the van again today, fitted the boost pipe that I was waiting for and finished off the last bits of wiring for the transit water temp sensor and oil pressure sensor.
Also fitted the vac pipe I'd made up using ½ transit and ½ vw.

Had her running up to temp and and got a few test drives up and down the street, was able to put my foot down a little and was pleasantly surprised at how pokey it was! :lol:
2nd test run saw a boostpipe blow off so just shows its producing boost 8)

I do have a few snags to address later down the line, it seems a have a weeping crank seal and a noisy thrust bearing (was a reused 2nd hand part :roll: ) so will sort both these at the same time.

Boost and egt guages fitted, dash reassembled, radio fitted, small brackets I'd made up to support the grill fitted and all of the crap I'd collected in the boot removed too. :lol:

Shes desperate for a good wash after being stood for nearly 18mths but is all but ready for an mot, just a new set of wipers as the others have perished due to being sat.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby waerhy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:36 pm

Do you have to change the log book or anything now that it's a 1.9?
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:15 pm

waerhy wrote:Do you have to change the log book or anything now that it's a 1.9?

I haven't as yet and didn't get round to it either when the jag engine was fitted :lol:
Can't see it affecting the tax etc as its now a smaller engine but the insurance have been informed of it and all the other mods 8)
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:25 pm

So a small update.....she now has an mot!! 8)

Had her booked in for Thursday afternoon then realised Wednesday evening I hadn't sorted the binding handbrake cable! :shock:

Luckily I had some hours owed at work and I'd already booked a half day too so spent the morning trying to sort it.....
After messing around trying to free the cable off on 1 side I had to fit a new 1,.....mot that afternoon and she passed!

She's definitely showing her age in places since she's been stood so I'll have a few spots that will need attention but she's still solid underneath 8)
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:52 pm

Time for a small update,
I've had the van running for just over 3 months now and all was going great, had a few teething issues like the used friction plate I used to mock up the flywheel/clutch assembly started to rattle in the centre so a new plate was fitted, the rear crank seal has started weaping (even tho I replaced it when the engine was out) and the power steering pipe from the res was weaping too (loose jubilee clip).
Even had a vibration coming from the gearbox, but a revised centre bearing mount has just about sorted this (I think part of the noise is now coming from a worn gearbox).
These all in its still a nice van to drive, plenty of power and pretty good on fuel considering the van weighs neigh on 2 ton.

Anyway me and the family were at a local classic car show on Tuesday just gone and just as we hit the main road to leave the bloody timing belt has gone bang! :x
On closer inspection it looks like the tensioner has failed.....to hold its tension.....and this has taken the belt out too!
I've got all the parts on order so I'm hoping I can still make mania as after these long last 2yrs I'd hate to miss it now :cry:

Apart from this not much else has happened I've just been using it and getting some miles under its belt.......
Oh and I've painted the front bumper........ :lol:
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:52 am

So after investigating the damage it turned out the tensioner had let go which made the belt let go/snap (which I can only assume its snatched on it while running) which then took out a couple of hydraulic lifters.

I set about replacing all this and once it was up and running it was was still knocking a valve and missing, it turns out after a deeper investigation its kinked at least 1 valve stem in the head......... :(

Pricing all the parts up it soon became apparent that it was gonna be cheaper long term to buy a whole car for the replacement engine than shell out for whole new gaskets/belts/bolts again.......so that's what I did! :lol:

1 scrap passat later a whole load of headache and a bucket of spares for the van and she's back up and running again! 8)

Small video of the 1st start here too.........https://youtu.be/xtVw4dIdJIs
Last edited by Pocketrocket on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:55 am

Also fitted the rooftent off my disco ready for Mania 8)
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby spudmab » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:01 pm

It was good seeing this at mania, wanted to chat with you but couldn't find the time.

Its strange looking under the bonnet but if you remove the vw badge people wouldn't really know. You done a good job with the install

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!