*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 tourneo jag-van mk2

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk5 tourneo jag-van mk2

Postby spudmab » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:19 pm

What size wheels are you running, im guessing they are 16" wheels

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:51 pm

spudmab wrote:What size wheels are you running, im guessing they are 16" wheels

Nah I'm running modified landrover 17s, fronts have been narrowed to 7j so they sit inside the front arches
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1999 mk5 tourneo (previously jagvan, now Vw PD powered)
2000 mk5 with a jaguar twist :wink: (now dead but will live on)
1996 disco 300tdi 1.2 offroad toy :D
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Hellblazzer » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:24 pm

So, how is the pd130 going? This a conversion I have thought about a lot myself.

Any news on the adaptor plate for the mt75? I bet that You would sell some if You "assembled" a kit.
Any ideas on how to manage the shafts coupling within the clutch?
-1986 Mk3 2.5di 80ps banana engine and some more mods-
Hellblazzer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pocketrocket » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:35 am

Hellblazzer wrote:So, how is the pd130 going? This a conversion I have thought about a lot myself.

Any news on the adaptor plate for the mt75? I bet that You would sell some if You "assembled" a kit.
Any ideas on how to manage the shafts coupling within the clutch?

Not much progress with the conversion other than removing the engine from the passat the other day, progress has been slow due to rebuilding my discovery from a bare chassis but as that's nearly finished the van should now start progressing a little more.

I'm still debating on what clutch/flywheel assembly to use as it would be nice to do away with the duel mass and replace with a solid unit, I can get a solid unit to fit directly to the pd engine but then I need to source a friction/pressure plate to suit both that and the mt75.
The other idea I had was to have a di flywheel machined to fit the pd crank and then just run a complete standard di clutch/starter, it still depends on how much room I have for the mt75 at the back of the pd too.
I was pretty confident I wouldn't make transit mania this year in the van but now it has been cancelled I'm hopeful it will go ahead later in the year which gives me chance to try and get it in and running 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Hellblazzer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:20 pm

I am not experienced with swaps but the last idea seems good, it's the closest to the original clutch setup. Probably a bit expensive getting the flywheel adapted and, probably its also a good idea to check flywheel weights and so on.
The 2.5di flywheel is probably heavier than the original 130pd one, better safe than sorry. The pd engines are tough but I don't know how it would behave rotating a way heavier flywheel.
-1986 Mk3 2.5di 80ps banana engine and some more mods-
Hellblazzer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:33 am

What diameter is the standard VW clutch plate Pete?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pocketrocket » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:51 pm

Hellblazzer wrote:I am not experienced with swaps but the last idea seems good, it's the closest to the original clutch setup. Probably a bit expensive getting the flywheel adapted and, probably its also a good idea to check flywheel weights and so on.
The 2.5di flywheel is probably heavier than the original 130pd one, better safe than sorry. The pd engines are tough but I don't know how it would behave rotating a way heavier flywheel.

The transit di flywheel is the way I'm gonna go with it, I've got a friend with a machine shop that will be able to do the machining for me and also incorporate the spacer that required to clear the adapter plate

I weighed the 2 complete clutch setups and the passat dmf comes in at 16kg where's the di comes in at 22kgs so there's 6kg difference, at 1st I was a little concerned and considered having the flywheel lightened but then it would require balancing afterwards too.
It was only the other day that I came across a us company that do pd adapter kits for various (us spec) gearboxes for 4x4s and they actually supply a heavier solid flywheel as it improves lower down torque and helps with engine stall 8)
I'm hoping my di flywheel will be ok on the same principle :wink:
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:42 pm

MinorMatt wrote:What diameter is the standard VW clutch plate Pete?

Sorry matt, just noticed your post, i think its 225mm across (if I remember correctly) I think the di is 230/240? Not sure off hand I have both at work if your interested?
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:12 am

Small update on the pd engine,
Got some stuff stripped off the block and bolted upright on our makeshift stand ready for the adapter plate to be bolted up.
We can then get the mt75 bell housing clocked up central and the dowel/bolt holes drilled.
The di crud/dust plate is just placed on but is round abouts where it's going to be (gives an idea of where the bell housing will land) as is the flywheel.
It looks like I'll have to build complete custom mounts too, I was hoping to use the existing passat mounts but the di starter will be in the way
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Fri May 15, 2020 11:41 pm

So after a few weeks my plans have changed again (or they have for now :lol: ) I have gone back to the plan of using a vw solid flywheel (well valeo branded) in the form of a 6sp spec.
I recently found 1 for sale on eBay and realised it takes the bigger size 240mm clutch plate which is standard size for the di, much messaging backwards and forwards to the seller means I now have it on its way to me!
I'll have to modify my adapter plate to accommodate it as it sits closer to the block than a standard 5sp flywheel but should be fine as its still inside any mounting holes.
I'll also be using a land rover 240mm plate as the central spring hub is smaller than the di's so won't foul on the insides of the cover plate.
It also uses a different type of starter with a shorter throw but mounts in the exact same place. This also means I've more room for routing the exhaust once its in.
I did manage to get the plate trimmed and fitted to the block ready for the mt75 to be clocked up 8)
More pics to follow on the next instalment :lol:
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Thu May 21, 2020 9:39 pm

So the flywheel has landed!
The land-rover clutch plate fits like a glove and the solid mass clutch cover fits as it should too! 8) all standard off the shelf parts, I still have to trim the adapter plate but with a rough draw around the flywheel it looks like around 10mm extra....... exciting times! :D
Couple of pics too........
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:45 pm

Small update,
I've now got the scrap mt75 broken down and lopped the end case off to give me access to the main shift bearing housing which I'm gonna use for the dti.
I've got a couple of dowel pegs ready for the mt75 too so all that is left to do is get her centralised and the holes drilled 8)
Watch this space........ :D
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:59 pm

OK so update time, the adapter plate is finished and clocked!!!! :D

There's just the shape to profile out where the starter sits but this can be done on the bench.

Then it's onto fitting the flywheel/clutch/gearbox together for good and shoving it in the hole! :lol:

The x-member is standard and so is the prop so happy days there!

Couple of pictures as usual 8)
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:22 pm

So its been a while since the last update due to being flat out getting my bare chassis discovery rebuild ready for an overland trip round the alps but it has been progressing bit by bit.
So much so its at the point now where the engine/gearbox are finally bolted together for good 8)
I'll be doing the timing belt (and possibly the water pump if that too runs off the same belt.....yet to research) and giving the engine a good clean/degrease before it gets sat in the bay.
I'll also bin off the egr stuff while I'm there too :D
I've still got to make a mount for the di alternator to sit where the air con pump used to sit just so I can keep my rev counter functional :lol:
Anyway, hopfully I don't bore too many people and the swap will soon step up a gear in the next month or so......
Couple of pics,
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby oldskooler » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:08 pm

excellent work mate...ill be watching this one with interest..im planning one of these conversions some time down the road..

ive got a passat donor, valeo solid flywheel kit and i my case a clutch disc from a mitsubishi pajero/l200 which is 225mm and mt75 splines..

great project so far..
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!