*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My Mk7 v2

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: My Mk7 v2

Postby dantranvan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:50 pm

RustWidow wrote:Umm, I hate to be a killjoy but it doesn’t look like you have any rubber in that there wheel sir lol looking good though

Wondered why people were flashing their lights at me :lol:

Was hoping to paint them today so I can sort some tyres next weekend but rain put pay to that. If I'd pulled my finger out in getting my other garage put up I could've been painting them in the dry right now
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RustWidow » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:52 pm

dantranvan wrote:
RustWidow wrote:Umm, I hate to be a killjoy but it doesn’t look like you have any rubber in that there wheel sir lol looking good though

Wondered why people were flashing their lights at me :lol:

Was hoping to paint them today so I can sort some tyres next weekend but rain put pay to that. If I'd pulled my finger out in getting my other garage put up I could've been painting them in the dry right now

I know that problem, why do you think I’ve only got paint on one wheel? Lol
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dantranvan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:38 pm

Last few years, I've tried getting into the habit of stashing some cash away for January. A lot of people get paid early in December, forget that it'll be six weeks and not four til they get paid again and go mad over Christmas and new year. This often means there are some bargains to be had come the last few weeks of Jan with people limping to pay day :lol:

So last night I picked this up for £50

Full Focus ST Recaro interior. I'm not wanting to lose a seat in the front and there is definitely not room for 3 front seats, so I've got two options.
1. Fit a set of covers to the bench I've seen on eBay that compliment the Recaro
2. See what can be made with a mix of the transit bench and Recaro rear bench. The 2 seat bit of the split (so normal and middle seat) seems to be very similar size to the transit bench so will maybe see what I can come up with. Vehicle upholsterer down the road from me so might even go down to see what can be done for not a huge amount of money

Option 1 would also give me the option of selling the other front seat to another van owner and possibly keeping the rear bench in case I decide to put Mk2 FRS Recaro's in my Mk1 FRS

Van going in for an overdue service tomorrow. Hopefully not too many surprises come up
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:41 pm

Surprises came up :shock:

Get a voicemail to call them around 10.30 which instantly got me worried. Surely can't be done already so its probably bad news.

"We wanted to speak to you before we did the service as the van has quite a few issues......... underneath is rotten all over the front end and around engine mounts...................blah blah blah"

Went up to have a look at lunch time to see said rust expecting the worst and, whilst I'm happy they didn't do any work, part of me thinks they overreacted a bit. I've seen rusty vans and the bits they pointed out really dont look that bad. If they don't scare me, I can't see them scaring my mate who is sh*t hot with a welder :lol:

So results from the safety check list:

Tyres - Guess which was the spare when I got a puncture :lol: With new tyres going on the new wheels, I'll blast the previous spare with good tread with a wire brush wheel and hammerite before putting back in the spare cradle
Mirror - Had the same inch long crack in it when I bought it.
Engine - Injector either needs a new seal or replacing
Lights - Rear fog bulb gone I suspect
Washers - Washer pump gone
Header Tank - Need new cap
Gearbox oil leak - Hopefully, as they suspect, just the seal which is not something I'll attempt myself
Brake Fluid - Brake lines are corroded so no point changing til they are sorted
Alternator belt - Needs changing
Brakes - Not anything scary. He said discs cost a fortune, but they look cheap enough to me and can probably wait a few months as I only do a few hundred miles a month atm
Bottom arm - Was going to fit a new modified pair for when it gets lowered
CV Boot - I'll fit a new boot and clip
Chassis corrosion - Nothing I personally am massively worried my mate can't fix

Estimated repair bill
Mirror Glass - £3.69
Injector Seals - £9.50 (worst case scenario - new injector £120)
Washer Pump £7.49
Fog Bulb - £4.49
Header Cap - £4.59
Belt - £12
Welding - £Pizzas

Ended the day a lot more optimistic than after getting off the phone this morning
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Tyres on the new wheels. Just need to finish painting them and wait for my locking wheel nuts to arrive :D

dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RustWidow » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Nice, like them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dantranvan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:25 pm

They're on. Although one tyre isn't holding air so will be going back to get sorted at the weekend

Definitely need some transit connect arches, especially at the front :lol:
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RustWidow » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Weird, one of mine keeps losing air too!
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dantranvan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:10 pm

dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:02 pm

Booked in to get the rear lowered in a few weeks time so thought I really need to sort out what I'm doing with the front end.
From my research online it always looked like 2 options
1) A "strut drop" - Lowering the strut within the hub mounting. Apparently a commonly done thing by guys lowering transits with it being free to do. Despite a large number of people adamant it's fine, the idea always just seemed iffy to me :shock:

2) VW T5 coilovers - I'm told a straight fit although you need to drill the top mounts out a few mm to fit the bolt through. You can get them on eBay for as little as £160 a set now and if you can sell the rears on to a T5 owner, you're maybe closer to the £100 mark. Obviously you've got a better and less iffy range of heigh adjustment, although I've seen a couple of horror stories about top mounts cracking and obviously, cheap eBay coilovers are going to give a harsh ride.

Option 2 it was then, until by total accident I came across modyourconnect.co.uk who make a fair few bits for different vans. To my surprise, they sell 50mm front lowering springs, which is near enough the exact drop I'm after. So I'll have to get some of them ordered.

Also found some Auto Glym interior shampoo in the garage so gave the drivers recaro a scrub. Need to see how much work is needed to get it in at some point

dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 pm

Postman brought my arches today

Because I have the patience of a child I've already been out in the dark to hold them up to check they'll do the job and it looks good (I think)
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:42 pm

Bit of tiger seal and suspension drop and happy days me thinks

dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dantranvan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:17 pm

Front lowering springs ordered through ModYourConnect. What a company!
Went to order them online last night and the website wasn't happy with my address, so sent them a facebook message and almost instantly they replied and then spent the next hour and a half trying to fix their website so my order would go through.
Finally managed to order them this morning and then after a few messages back and forth, they offered to drop them off at midland road springs for me to collect in a few weeks time when I go to get the leafs decambered.
Can't wait :D
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Uber_Beluga » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm

Looks great, very impressed with your rust repairs.
2008 Mk7 GLX 130 MWB High roof
Uber_Beluga
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dantranvan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Good and bad news.
My leafs were in pretty bad shape and near enough fell apart at the front bushes when removed :(

So I sucked it up and went for new ones

Just need to get the front springs changed now
dantranvan
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!