*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Vinny mk5 2.0 dohc

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Vinny mk5 2.0 dohc

Postby halla » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:05 am

Vinny is a 2.0l DOHC 1999 SWB semi high top. With a vialle lpg system fitted. On her best day she could get to 111 mph, or
Get me a nice 40 plus mpg. We bought her in about 2004, with 40,000 mile on the clock. Now I'd say 210,000 miles. This is her second engine with about 90,000 on the clock.

Her main use has always been as a family car. We have been to Spain, south Germany and France a few time. I remember how secure she drove, how sure footed and how she pushed through gales and rain to get me home, many times. Thats what I want for her now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Vinny mk5 2.0 dohc

Postby halla » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:32 am

I have tried over the years to keep the rust away. Grinding the wheel arches every year under seal etc etc, I hate the colour of rust, so anything is better!.

The time had come to scrap, sell or do it up. I have decided to get her back, as best I can. Keeping costs as low as poss but getting her back to near new.

Goals

Bought a mig welder, no experience.
Looking for alloys
Looking for Newer seats
New lpg system
No rust
Fix the engine problems
Like to try putting on new panels
Get as much advice from you as poss
Looking for a roof liner
I'm more interest in mpg than mph
Learn new skills
Paint

I will be using this site as a diary and to ask for advice, please feel free
Anyone got spare parts available
Ian
P.s the petrol transit has a petrol engine everthing else is the same
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby halla » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:39 am

started yesterday by washing her down with anti fungus and a scrubbing cloth. Finishing of with caravan cleaner. Came up nice. working on the back doors, I decided not to take them off but work around as much as poss. Their is rust on the bottoms, but not to bad. Lucky here. I have been a regular at a few scrap yards over the years and have chosen some nice pieces, i.e. Doors etc.

Two years ago I repainted the roof with "ford paint", cans, from Andrew page. Followed by lacquer cans. This is working for me. So I will continue. The roof will need a little touch up and lackering. I have a hole in the back, down a seam, these are killers and need dealing with.

My main rust proofing will be "rust reformer? . I have had good results from this. Primer then ford paint then lacquer. I have tried others!.

Today I received my new glue J B Weld high heat. Mostly used for exhausts, metal. I need it to re-glue my temp sender units back in to my plastic inlet manifold. I have tried many epoxy glues none tend to last long.

I have 4 inlet manifolds to play with. The last one I got off a galaxy 2.0. Anyone know of a better glue for plastic inlets and brass fittings, let me know, thanks.

It's raining so time for research.
Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby halla » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:54 am

After two days of rain, I have been able to get going!

Primed the back end, and used bodge for three holes in the roof, kept it rough looking!
The floor has a few holes, I prob will rust proof and paint. I may cover with roof flashing from underneath. I'd like to put in a floor covering for noise protection. Thinking wood.

The back doors are good, light sanding and repaint, cleared out the sliding door tray, luckily,
I filled it with grease 3 years ago.

Mostly until now I think I can do another round of grinding and bodge. She's good for another year. I will keep the welder and learn this autum!

The engine 2.0l dohc with a plastic inlet manifold "boo". I have managed to source a 2.3 galaxy intake manifold, with all
Bits included. Tempting to try it as is. Hoping the temp senders will not fall out, touch wood. This I hope will help the engine big time as she has been a bit rough for a long while.

Ian
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby halla » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Got the engine back in. Inlet manifold re-glued with cold weld. Needs a new cat. Needs new wings. I'm still in two minds wheather to keep it. I'll see how the engine goes first.
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby halla » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:54 am

Engines in waiting for paint and a little plastic filler.
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby halla » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:23 pm

I took the lpg system out, do not know where to dump it!

Got the van put back together, dead engine. After a week of fixing and checking cables. I found that I had not put the plug back into the pats system, doh

The engine turns over now. But not starting, yet.
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby halla » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Still the same! I have been through google and this forum, here was better.

Checked the relays and fuses renewing and checking earth straps. I'm busy repairing the wiring harness of any small cuts.

While I took the lpg system out their were a few wires going into the petrol ecu from the lpg ecu. But the wires did not go anywhere else. Need to read up on dismantling a vialle lpg system!

The main clue is the eml light not coming on with the ignition, tied this to harness and sensors, taking my time but needs mot at end of month, and back brakes need checking.

I have taken the engine out 3 or 4 times and always starts first time. I'll get there
Ian
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby halla » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Put two different coils on.
It's turning over, strongly but not starting.
Re-Read forum.
My next guess is the ignition amplifier, placed in the engine bay, passenger side wing. Nothing obviously broken.

Because it started with cold start it should be fuel related.
Could it be the fuel regulator!
Could it be the ignition switch!

Last time I had the van up on two wheels, the petrol pump needed renewing. Did it dry out!
Their is fuel in the rail and the shrader valve Squirts petrol.

My last guess would be, by taking the vialle system out. Is the ecu stuck in lpg mode. What's the best diagnostic software at a decent price.
Any advice
Ian
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Keef » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Just a thought, as I've never owned a petrol van but it hasn't got an inertia fuel shut of in case of impact/accident that needs re-setting?
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby halla » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:13 am

Yeah I have read about this in other posts, my berlingo has one, in the engine bay, obvious to see. Have not seen anything
Yet. Thanks for input.
Ian
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby halla » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:21 pm

update is no injector pulse.

After reading posts, it could be a bad sensor, crank, tps, or a few others. More likely due to my lpg wiring pulling.
Thinking of scraping or buying a replacement.

I do have a few more places to check like the wires going to the lambda sensor area. Earth points.
Only once did I have something similar. Turned out to be a faulty round wire plug near the battery, I have a spare, might
As well change it.
All the best
Ian
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby V8_Bodge » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:43 am

When you removed the piggy back wires for the LPG injectors have you returned the petrol wiring for the injectors to standard?
Mk3 LWB 3.9 V8
V8_Bodge
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby halla » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:08 am

No
I found about 3 wires from lpg to petrol ecu. I assumed (hate that word) that I could remove them.

If you have any advice
Ian
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby V8_Bodge » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:20 pm

I take it the system that was fitted wasn't a sequential type? Did it have four solenoids or a mixer ring for the gas.

Is there power at the petrol injectors with the ignition on.
Mk3 LWB 3.9 V8
V8_Bodge
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!