*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My Mk1 Transit's Restoration Project

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

My Mk1 Transit's Restoration Project

Postby malta transit » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:10 pm

Hi everyone,this is the story of my transit. My van was born in England in 1968 and registered as FGL451F it came out in grey primer and it's new owner had it resprayed in black. In 1977 it was brought to Malta by a van dealer who sold it to my dad. The van was white when we got it,as it is today. Some day in it's early days it was up graded from 1700cc to the more powerfull 2000cc engine, always V4s. The van never gave us any problems and as so we always bought Transits. After nearly 40 years of great service i decided to give her a total nut and bolt restoration and preserve her.

Well this is her a few years ago!

So, a few months ago, i started to remove off everything.Here, below, she is in my garage being dismantled.

When i started taking parts apart, i realized it was not going to be an easy restoration, and rust had eatan away most of the parts.

The back outriggers had disintegrated, every place where mud had accumilated by the wheels, holes were there. As my place is tight and narrow i tried my new mig to the gutters, as i have never done any welding before. I went to my friend Karmnu who breaks Transits and got 2 long gutters from a donor van, to keep the edges as original as posible.

After some time, continued stiping the van.

And took of the engine.

Then took off front wings and cross member

Here was the time, i thought i d scrap the van as i was giving up. My child who's 5 years old used to go to a summer play school and my wife knew some parents. One day, me,my wife and son went to a festa and met parents of a child, and the women started talking. My wife introduced me to them and told me the chap Sebbie, was a Transit nut like me. We got talking and told me that he had done his van some time ago, and so convinced me to sand blast the van. This method is the best as it will show all sins as we say. The bloke agreed to do the job for Lm100 and will spray it afterwards with green zinc phrosfite with added tinner. I wanted it in etching primmer but he refused, so settled for green zinc. My New friend, Sebbie offered me to tow the Transit with his Transit Mk2 and with a special trailer made to measure, could not refuse such an offer.

What a sight it was, it was like road train and me at the back in my car watching that everything was OK. By the way the film in my camera was expiring and that's why there a bit faded.

In Malta it hardly rains, but when it rains it showers cats and dogs. The sand blaster promised to do it in a week and had done a small amount of work on the van, as i used to go daily. One night i could not sleep as my van was in that yard uncovered and it did not stop raining. Next day visit i nearly fainted as my van was all rusty brown and had some pools of water in it. The man laughed a bit and said its only surface rust, a quick do over will do the job and that's how it came, back to bare metal and shining silver.

Ater a couple of days, the blaster called to pick up the van. He done the edges of the doors, the front wings from inside the grill and the 4 spare wheels. When we went for the van, it was in green and looked realy great to start from. It was clean and tidy, no rust, lighter and with more holes. Patches with pop rivets were visible, were i sweared i had no rust, but at least its clean now.

Till now i think that's that. I will continue to inform you on my progres and send you up dates now that i got a new digital camera. So long mates 8) 8) 8) 8)
TRANSITS KEEP YOU GOING!!!, GOING!!! AND GOING!!!!!!
malta transit
Our man in Malta!

Postby transitgeoff » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:18 pm

8) nice work, keep us informed on your progress mate :D
transitgeoff
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:21 pm

:shock: wow - you are putting some effort into that 8) good work and stick with it, it will be worth it in the end 8) 8)

i'll look forward to reading this one too 8) :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby djswampy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:41 pm

Magic. like the green zinc. Good luck.
Mk5 LWB 190, 2.5di banana SHR, 3 seats, SLD, Twin rear doors (rusted bottoms), manual locking & windows. For sale £700, comes with replacement set of doors
djswampy
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Location: Colchester. Transit: mk5, '96, 2.5di banana, lwb, semi roof, 190

Postby malta transit » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:58 pm

Thanks mates 8) 8) 8) 8)
malta transit
Our man in Malta!

Postby rover » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:06 am

You were thinking of scrapping it :shock: That would be classed as a 'mint' shell over here :wink: :lol:

Good work, keep it up :D

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Neil » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:20 pm

looking good,does it need much welding :?:
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby malta transit » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:45 pm

Yes Neil,it needs a bit of welding. I just bought 2 new steps, the splash front outriggers are half gone, the back ones too, the back corners from the inside have 2 big holes, i have found 2 rear quater panels second hand which fixes to the wheel arch. The bottom back doors and front need to be cut out from inside and out due to rust, and the roof gutters where i had the roof rack with weight and rust they need to be taken care of. :? :? :? :?
malta transit
Our man in Malta!

Postby pete_the_4x4 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:30 pm

i think i have seen that van before :shock:
if you think my van is dirty you should see my pants
pete_the_4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FredTransit » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:36 am

Looking good, and nice to see a Mk2 at work too!
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Re: My Mk1 Transit's Restoration Project

Postby Luke » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:26 pm

how are you getting on with this Gerald :?: any progress :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby malta transit » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:15 am

Hi Luke, progress is very slowly. The guy who promised me to work on van and had done my Mk2 now has gone full time and is on his own and employes 2 other men. I have been going every 2 months for more than a year and he seems to be very busy, and i don t blame him,as he is doing crash incidents,changing panels and enlining the cars straight. So its quick job and good money. My van would be time consuming for him.
Any way, i decided to do it my self, slowly and tackle a part bit by bit and if i m stuck i 'll just leave it and tackle it another day. Mind you after work, after 8.30pm, i go down in the garage and do something and sometimes i spend lot of time watching and thinking how to tackle the problem.
First i started by doing the rear number plate panel. I got a second hand replacement,but this had 2 holes for the rear lights and i prfered the one i have with one hole in the middle so i repaired mine.This had rust at the edges and 2 non standard holes for a custom bumper. So i cut pieces of metal and fit them in shape,and miged welded them. I just need to make 4 new oval holes for rear braket bumpers.

Next thing i have done were 2 front panels as these aren't optainable. I haven't fixed them though.

Next thing was the rust next to the footwell, where the shockabsorber is attached from the upper bolt, but from the inside, the patch which holds the shockabsorber is a rust trap, and i have seen shocks going through the body next to the drivers right leg. Mine weren't that bad maybe because they were worn out. i cut also a top part, but first i have to stich weld all the surround were rust has got in.

Today i removed by hammer and chisel the remains of the outrigger which attaches from the chassis to the front foot step, now i need to go to a sheet metal worker and fabrikate 2, one for each side,natrually one in reverse for the other side. I noticed that in a tread NIGHTMARE SWB MK1 CUSTOM VAN page 5 , is pictured an outrigger in silver colour is it a piece of hollow section iron or ??. Can you tell me [ Luke ] how long is it as mine are disentigrated, i'm trying to go very next to original.

Will take pictures of progress tomorrow. :| :| :|
malta transit
Our man in Malta!

Postby Luke » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:24 am

nice work mate 8) are you going to do the welding :?:

is this the piece you need measurments off :?:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby malta transit » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:36 am

I'm going to do the welding. By measurements, i think you mean measure my Mk2, the thing is i don't know how long it protrects as it's invisable behind the vertical panel which also is disentigrated. Well i think it needs more thinking :? :?
maybe I ''ll come up with something :idea: :?:
malta transit
Our man in Malta!

Postby malta transit » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:39 am

Yes that's the part!!
malta transit
Our man in Malta!

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!