*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

son in laws Mk6 Transit High top

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: son in laws Mk6 Transit High top

Postby deadbeatdads » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 pm

i used rust converterhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/land-rover-c ... SwPcVVkTBk which does a good job. i brush painted it on but you can spray it on to get the difficult spots
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:12 pm

that is the rear part of the chassis where the rear step bolts onto, its not easy trying to picture the underside of the transit to get a good view so please excuse my poor camera work
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:23 pm

I then started with the Gravitex on the new step well, which once applied you wouldn't think a new step had been put in. The second picture down from the top is the bare new step, the other pictures are with Gravitex on, the light from the sun makes it difficult to see the Gravitex applied
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by deadbeatdads on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:29 pm

I then proceeded to do the rest with black underbody waxoyl. A big difference if i say so myself, and it makes it look neat and tidy to an MOT tester the next time he takes it in.
I stil have to do the propshaft UJs and the track rod ends and to replace the rear light unit as we have no rear side or brake light.
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Not been doing much to the transit of late, but I managed to get the propshaft sorted by a mate and had a centre bearing replaced. Son in law is now in a hurry to get the MOT done as he needs it for his carpet business so in just been doing some cosmetic stuff like gravitexing the sills ready for spraying them blue so they look neat and tidy.
I tried having a go at putting new track rod ends but that lock nut is solid and trying to get some heat on it when the wind keeps blowing the blow torch out saw me putting an end to that.
oh we also changed the rear lights over for Mk7 back lights as we couldn't get one side brake and side light to work. Now with the lights swapped over we can't one side fog light to work but I don't think that comes under the MOT as it's near side
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jay2018 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:50 pm

You're a good Father In Law mate!
2012 MK7 Transit Trend 125 T350 6 SPD FWD MWB MR (Frozen White) :D
2010 MK7 Transit Jumbo 100 - SOLD :(
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby deadbeatdads » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:32 am

Well over twelve months everybody was telling him to scrap it as it would be too rotten. I saw a challenge and went for it, I keep winding him up now as I've told him I've done about £2500 worth of work on it so it's mine now.
Son in law is supposed to be a petrol head, but knows nothing about maintaining cars, things like oil changes are alien to him so iI've set up a service sheet for him, oil changes, brake pads disks wheel bearings etc etc, just tonight after I finished the sills he was on about putting silly wheels on it, windscreen wind deflecter and a all singing all dancing music system that involves ripping the dash apart. I then said hang on ill get a sign to put in the window that says "please steal me".
I've told him to keep the van original but tidy and keep on top of it now
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jay2018 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:03 pm

Nice one, helping your son in law will obviously lead to less heartache for yourself overall.
2012 MK7 Transit Trend 125 T350 6 SPD FWD MWB MR (Frozen White) :D
2010 MK7 Transit Jumbo 100 - SOLD :(
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby deadbeatdads » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:23 am

I certainly hope so
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:56 pm

She passed her MOT this morning two advisories pitted front disks mainly due to it standing snd a frayed seatbelt
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby PistonMeetValves » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:31 pm

Well done on the pass! Some fantastic work has been done here. Mine has been sitting a few months.. need to man up, sell the Combo abomination I've been knocking about in and get the MWB back where it belongs, attempting to earn me 10% of what its cost me :lol:
~ PMV

'02 MK6 T280 100 in fetching white/rust ♡

Warren: 'These brakes, they're completely inadequate'
Burt Munro: 'I'm planning on going, not stopping.'
PistonMeetValves
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby deadbeatdads » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:11 pm

Ive had to tell him to change oil regularly, do antifreeze, he is complaining the temperature gauge only going a quarter of the way up and heaters barely warm, so i suspect a removed or stuck thermostat to hih we have ordered a new one, so now thats the next job
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!