*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

son in laws Mk6 Transit High top

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: son in laws Mk6 Transit High top

Postby deadbeatdads » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:59 pm

The newly shaped inner sill going in
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:01 pm

a different angle. As you can see i plug welded the new inner sill at the bottom to the bottom of the outer sill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:06 pm

welds ground down flush etch primered, seam sealed then etched again
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Now onto the near side step, this was bad just near the door, so rather than replace the whole step, we decided to cut out the rot and then cut out what we needed from the repair panel and welded in the new section
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:07 pm

Now onto the front inner wheel tub which there were a couple of holes and the join from inner tub to outer tub needed some attention
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:37 pm

and now round to the front off side step, it was worse than the nearside so we bought a new step panel and cut out the rot ready to place the new step in place. Once cut out it gave me better access to the inner sill for repairs that were needed to that
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:57 pm

I was surprised how well this panel fitted, it was a neat fit with no modification at all. As you can see i plug welded the step in to keep it neat and factory finished looking. It was a tight fit but looked good once in
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:07 pm

some more work to the off side inner wheel tub, Again the two parts of the inner and outer tub that meet as the lip had to be shaped and welded in
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:32 pm

The outer sill was cut out and the new panel drilled on the edges ready to be plug welded into position.
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:44 pm

At the moment all the welding has been etched primed seam sealed,and etched primed again, We have order some gravitex to spray the welded parts and then then the whole of the underbody will be sprayed with black waxoyl and the cavities done with clear. The outer sills will be blown in with Arden Blue paint to blend in with the rest of the van for the time being. All that needs to be done now is track rod ends and ujs on the prop shaft and the rear light unit needs to be looked at because the near side brake and side light isnt working and then we are good to go with the MOT
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Brains_transit » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:30 pm

Good work on the welding and fabricating and when I fixed my drivers step I cut the entire section back to near the chassis leg as my floor edge was also too far gone then cut the same section from a mk7 and got it welded in
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ABA » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:57 pm

give tim webley a shout he makes sections
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby deadbeatdads » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:11 pm

i will certainly keep that in mind. Just the Gravitex and waxoyl to be done bodywork wise and then a few blow ins on the paintwork. We have just got the track rod ends so thats to do and then the Ujs on the propshaft. I believe the prop has t be taken off first and the old Ujs taken out to match them up
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:23 pm

got a start removing the rust with a wire wheel in the drill followed by a coating of rust converter
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby deadbeatdads » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:32 pm

and more
deadbeatdads
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!