*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 Transit Restoration

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk6 Transit Restoration

Postby dieselhead123 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Three pictures to show how the front wings were made, all from genuine panels and new steel!

Hope this helps to show what was done to achieve this.

Bonnet next!

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Scooby doo » Fri May 03, 2019 9:37 am

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out
Well done Tim, let’s raise a glass
Scooby doo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dieselhead123 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:31 pm

Now for the Bonnet!

From the side view of our original 'mock-up', you can see that we have a gap between the Mk8 bonnet and the Mk7 scuttle panel we fitted;

The 'gap' we need to fill has been coloured in RED as it might not be too clear in the first picture;

We acheived this by adding the rear part of a Mk7 bonnet to the rear edge of the Mk8 one.

Mk7 hinges were bolted to the rear part of the Mk7 bonnet and to the Mk7 inner wing panels, the Mk8 bonnet was then placed so it fitted the lines of the Mk8 front wings and two pieces of angle iron were welded between the bonnet parts on the outer face. The 'new' bonnet was then removed and the two parts 'bridged' with a further 26 individual pieces of steel. 1.5mm was used on the inner skin, 1.2 being used on the outer. Due to the bonnet being double skin, it was not possible to get a dolly behind the panels to planish out distortion, so we did have to resort to a small amount of filler.

Once we get a bit of primer on all the parts it will be time for a 'fit-out'.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Scooby doo » Tue May 28, 2019 7:43 pm

Tim
I’m still loving this, bet someone said that can’t be done, I love it when people say that as it gives more enthusiasm to prove em wrong, I do prefer the mk6 front look, but am keen at how this pans out, I got to stop thinking ldv for some reason.
You going for the rs-mt look on the front? Bit of stance and grawl should give it a nice touch
Scooby doo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dieselhead123 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi Scooby.
Thanks again for your kind words and motivation.

As much as I like the Mk6 'look', we felt that the van deserved something to make it stand out from the crowd and a Mk7 front would just make it look like a Mk7, (or a converted Mk6!).

No doubt, the Custom front would have been easier, if only because parts are more readily available, but the Mk8 front has given us the desired 'longer snout', far easier to accommodate a decent RWD engine in the future.

The lower edge of the front bumper ended up a little close to the ground for my liking, the van is a FWD Mk6, so RWD Mk7 front suspension has been fitted. Front legs, ARB, drop links front hubs and the larger discs have all been fitted. Fitting the Mk7 front legs and springs required the re-drilling of the 'turrets' as the bolt pattern of the top mounts is different. Mk7 drive shafts were also fitted to suit the Mk7 front hubs.
This has raised the front bumper to an acceptable height and placed it where it would be if the van was a RWD Mk7.
We will have to see what it looks like when on it's wheels again, but I doubt it will have a 'stanced' look with the existing suspension fitted.
It has certainly been an interesting exercise so far.

As Transit repairs constitute the main source of workshop activity, we often find our regular customers inspecting progress, one is adament that he wishes to purchace the completed parts for his vehicle, a Mk6 skip loader.

Once painting of the wings and bonnet are completed, we will be able to re-assemble and get some pictures posted for you all.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Scooby doo » Thu May 30, 2019 7:43 pm

With all modifications, I find not everyone drinks the same brew, some people will say what’s the point, then others saying that’s atrocious, but we make them our own and I find the more negativity I receive the more adamant I am at succeeding.
I grow up with transits mk1 & 2s, but know full well they is out my price plan, so have got the humble mk6, tho fwd and 75bhp, she is slow, but she does the ticket, might do a sport engine replacement next year just to match the looks,.
I like seeing different projects as it makes me remember the 80’s when everyone modified their transits and I did countless school projects about them..
Keep up the good work, and if you get bored of welding that mk6, you can always have a bash at mine, welded a few years back and resprayed, it’s come to the time it needs doing again, bloody fords, but I’d rather weld up my ford than drive a Vauxhall lol
Scooby doo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dieselhead123 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:47 pm

Bit more on this.

Bonnet is 'almost' ready for paint, both front wings completed and in base coat, windscreen pillar trims done and also in base.

One headlamp fitted;

LED 'side lamp' working;

Also got the rad and intercooler mounted, used the stock Mk6 rad support panel and moved it forward so as to use the rad mounting points in the Mk8 front panel. Just needed to extend the hoses.

Need to sort out an improved camera, and some better lighting in the workshop :lol:

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Scooby doo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:50 pm

Excellent work again Tim, love watching this progress, would so love this to be an in ya face colour too, black or Kawasaki green cos I is biased..
Keep up the work...
Scooby doo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jay2018 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:34 pm

Can't wait to see this finished!
2012 MK7 Transit Trend 125 T350 6 SPD FWD MWB MR (Frozen White) :D
2010 MK7 Transit Jumbo 100 - SOLD :(
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby transitabout » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:47 pm

going to turn a few heads when finished this one. good work
transitabout
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:17 am

Tim, your dedication, spirit, drive, willingness to help others, and everything else.... all over the top. What amazing talent you have, and I admire your sacrifices so others can benefit. Have you done any body panels for the earlier generations, 3, 4 and 5?
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dieselhead123 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:11 pm

hetman wrote:Tim, your dedication, spirit, drive, willingness to help others, and everything else.... all over the top. What amazing talent you have, and I admire your sacrifices so others can benefit. Have you done any body panels for the earlier generations, 3, 4 and 5?

Hi there, thanks for your kind words.

We have produced a few panels for earlier Transit models, where the parts were unavailable from other suppliers. These parts have mainly been used for customer's restorations, so have effectively been 'one offs'.

If you have a need for any hard to get or unavailable parts for older models then we would be happy to help where we can.

Best bet is to send us a PM with details of the part(s) you need and the model they are for together with pictures that might help identify what is needed. They might be parts we have produced before.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jay2018 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Hello mate, do you still have this project?
2012 MK7 Transit Trend 125 T350 6 SPD FWD MWB MR (Frozen White) :D
2010 MK7 Transit Jumbo 100 - SOLD :(
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dieselhead123 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:07 pm

Jay2018 wrote:Hello mate, do you still have this project?

Yes we have!

Progress on the body work has been a little slow lately due to the cold, Brrrrrrrrrr.

Working on a PCD change for the front, 5 x 120 with 14mm studs, so we can use LR Disco 3 19 inch alloys. Will be using RR front discs, 360mm, undecided on calipers and mountings yet.

Machined Disco 3 drive flanges to accept the Mk6 front wheel bearing housing.

Disco 3 outer CVs have been altered to accept the Transit ABS rings. Hybrid front drive shafts will be required as our van is FWD.

Pictures of wheels in place on the front soon!

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dieselhead123 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:10 pm

Right then, been struggling with a camera to upload viewable images, unfortunately the 'Big Man' forgot to visit on the 25th, so had to resort to an old phone! But......

I have a picture of the D3 19 inch wheel in place on the front;

Looks a bit high, stands under the front crossmember, but you get the general idea.

D3 front drive flange, modified to accept a Mk6 front wheel bearing, so now 5 x 120 PCD, load rated wheels, (hub centered), and the proper studs and nuts to secure them.

Got 360mm RR Sport front discs, should have some 4 pot Brembos from a D4 in the new year, will need caliper mounts manufacturing. Hybrid front drive shafts also in the new year!

Pictures of the modifications required will be here soon, now I have sussed out how to use the 'old' phone.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!