*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Maltese pup mk1

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Maltese pup mk1

Postby ventadorn » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Well I am not new to classics but certainly new to transits, this is my Maltese mk1 pickup that I am working on. The chassis is very good with only some surface rust so Bilt Hamber is sorting that out. The back was largely ok with 2 rotten planks so the local shipwright scarfed in a couple of planks and epoxied them in. There was barely any paint on the wood so have managed to prime and undercoat it so far. Plan is to keep it grey and do the metalwork in black.
I am not sure exactly what the pickup was originally and whether it was a bullnose as it is now or a flat front. How do I tell? It has a 2.5 di and an mt75 fitted at the mo. Another curious thing is that I have a perfectly good windscreen wiper motor and linkage under the dash but inside the engine compartment......I have another one! (see pic) What is going on here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ventadorn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Maltese pup mk1

Postby Neil » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:16 pm

malta was its second life it was used here before it went there
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ventadorn » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Neil wrote:malta was its second life it was used here before it went there

Yes I know perhaps I should have said Maltese (re) import.....I think it's kind of half Maltese in a way as those pickup backs are so distinctive. Lots of nice patina on the planking.....perhaps I should have towed the new planks down a gravelly drive on a long chain before fitting them so they would match the old planks... someone suggested that after the job had been done and maybe it would have been a good idea :D
ventadorn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ventadorn » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Well been racing against the clock to get bilt hamber on the chassis followed by red oxide primer and a thin coat of underseal with waxoyl. It's starting to come together. As I don't have a workspace it all has to be done outside and the winter is approaching. Fortunately the chassis is excellent with only surface rust or no rust at all, the cab has a few issues mostly under the driver's side step and 2 bits of guttering. Unfortunately there was a small fire under the dash because of faulty wiring so part of the harness will have to be replaced. Have now fitted a 30a midi fuse in the main feed and a quick release connector on the battery, should have done it first thing really. Lesson learned. The pickup back had a lot of loose flaky paint and surface rust underneath. I am scraping off and treating what I can, next year I will have the back lifted off and do the rest. Not going to drive it in the wet until then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ventadorn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!