*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1995 Transit SWB High Roof 2.6t cargo 2.5 Di

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: 1995 Transit SWB High Roof 2.6t cargo 2.5 Di

Postby hetman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:28 am

I wish I had something positive to report, besides the further detailing of the van. I cleaned and waxed it up real nice but after getting up the courage to pack it full for its hopefully first successful delivery, I have lost 2 perfect days (today and yesterday) in which I had expected to be able to actually use this Transit. This is turning out to be the biggest lemon I have ever had the pleasure of owning, and I'm not sure if any of it is due to my ignorance or ineptitude, or do Transits suck so badly that everything must be replaced? Are they reliable at all? Should I go back to my trusted 50-year old Econoline, which I know to be vastly superior in design and quality? Too bad to have to sacrifice these old museum pieces but they are better than today's designed obsolescence junk. No, I won't put my antique Econoline into service like that. Yet. I will try to fix this pieces of trash so that it's reliable. If that is possible.

The van won't start. It cranks and cranks but won't start. Except with a fully-charged battery AND in the afternoon. Never in the morning. The temp outside is hovering around 40 F in the morning, the last two mornings. Yesterday afternoon it started fine. Temperature not more than 50-55 F. Could this be a factor? What is wrong with my van now? Operator error?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:38 pm

Forgive me for my impatience; I know all the blame lies on me. ;) For not knowing what I'm doing, mainly. This van's maintenance history is unknown and likely not been cared for properly, so I need to check everything and learn more about this van. My fault. :)
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Finally got her fired up, after replacing the fuel filter. The element in the old one was quite dirty, brown. I wonder what kind of fuels were put into this tank?!! It was nearly empty when I filled the tank up last time, and after getting it started, I filled up the tank again (was 1/3). The clutch is working flawlessly, and is actually easier to operate than the old one - shifts smoothly and effortlessly. Actually a pleasure to drive. I just hope this is the end of the unpleasant surprises. Since the fuel filter was so dirty, I imagine that I will be better off removing the tank next spring and cleaning it out completely.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:54 pm

Greetings, friends. I'm sorry for not being around much the past 6 months; I've been using my new-found freedom (I'm speaking of having lost my job due to the "lockdown" begun in March) to work on my van. I know I had another thread somewhere about my mechanical problems (overheating, changing timing belt, adjusting valves) but wanted to express my gratitude to all you who helped me through that very exasperating time in March/April. I finally did manage to accomplish all of that correctly, and the van is running splendidly but since my source of income dried up, I haven't had money for fuel (or food, etc), and while the economic situation has improved (finding another job that at least pays enough to eat and pay expenses), I haven't had any spare income for fuel, so I have spent the past 6 months going through the van to get it ready for inspection (you call that MOT, I believe). Essentially, I was convinced that I needed to do something about the rust-through in the rear frame rails, and I basically stripped all the paint down to the metal on the whole underside of the van, including all 4 wheelwells, and inside the bed of the van as well. It turns out that there were a lot of surprises lurking under one inch of bondo along the whole lower side of the left and right sides of the van, very cleverly hiding some accident damage on both sides, and plenty of rust-through. Though this van was billed as "honestly done" by the previous owner, it is the epitome of the typical con job one would expect to find in Poland (and perhaps other countries). Normally I don't like messing with vehicles that have any rust at all, but I when purchasing this van, I felt a dire and urgent need to get a high-top van and this seemed to be in decent condition. However, the reality is that I have had to redo many mechanical things and then tend to the bodywork, which was in much worse condition than it was represented to me. Since I'm not trying to do a concourse restoration of this van, and only need it to serve me well (and pass inspection), I decided to try my hand at cutting out each and every rust spot and hand-beating panels to fit. I am almost done with the project, and have hand-formed and replaced over 100 body patches throughout the van. Not including the doors, which also need work. There is no rust left, which I take as a success. The result is far from what I'd consider an attractive van, but I've replaced all the rusted areas with metal and seam sealer, and painted and undercoated everywhere. I really don't mind that it looks rather poor, but it should serve me for another few decades, or until Jesus returns, whichever is sooner.

I need help decoding this axle tag. Can anyone point me in the right direction? According to the data plate in the passenger footwell, the axle is D, which should be a limited slip 4.56 ratio T34. However, I don't believe the axle is working correctly. The limited slip part doesn't work as it should, and I've had to be pulled out of soft ground when the van got stuck last winter in a field. So, the codes on the small tag seem to indicate that it's the original axle (I had feared it had been swapped out), with a D in the codes. So please confirm what these numbers mean. I'm very appreciative.

5G 11D 4.56:1 T34
95 VB 4001 GA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm

100 patches Mike... :roll: there's always plenting of welding on an old transit :lol:
If your VIN plate says D in box 6 and it has the axle tag saying the same ratio with a D then I would say it should be the lsd, as for the numbers meaning I cannot help with the first number but the second one is the part no.
see number breakdown from Matt here ...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=195880&p=1663063&c=1#p1663260
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby hetman » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:18 am

Chug wrote:100 patches Mike... :roll: there's always plenting of welding on an old transit :lol:
If your VIN plate says D in box 6 and it has the axle tag saying the same ratio with a D then I would say it should be the lsd, as for the numbers meaning I cannot help with the first number but the second one is the part no.
see number breakdown from Matt here ...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=195880&p=1663063&c=1#p1663260

Greetings, mate! You are one of the heroes who have helped me, many times. ;)

Yes, Box 6 of the VIN plate also has D, which is why I wanted to determine if the axle tag corroborated this, and it does. Now all I have to do is figure out why my LSD differential isn't working. I hope that a fluid change will do the trick.

Yes, the body work has been grueling and exhausting but the benefits are great: I've managed to keep another Smiley on the road!! :D
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!