*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1995 Transit SWB High Roof 2.6t cargo 2.5 Di

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: 1995 Transit SWB High Roof 2.6t cargo 2.5 Di

Postby Keef » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Here a guide to changing a clutch

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18935&p=179149&hilit=clutch#p179149

I'll try to look up your van details later when I get some spare time
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby hetman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:48 pm

Keef wrote:Here a guide to changing a clutch

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18935&p=179149&hilit=clutch#p179149

I'll try to look up your van details later when I get some spare time

Thank you so much. I will read up on that in a jiffy.

I have questions about how to change the fluid in the differential as well. Do I have to unbolt the driveshaft in order to loosen up the carrier to allow the fluid to drain out? Why isn't there a simple drain plug or something? I'm just wondering because it seems a lot of effort to service the rear axle. It's a limited slip differential as well, according to the codes, and I need to make sure it's got the additive when I change it. So, if I have to remove the driveshaft to change the differential oil, then it makes sense to do it while I'm changing the clutch.

Thanks for the advice.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:07 pm

Don’t loosen the diff housing to drain the oil it may not seal again you could remove the half shafts pull out the diff unit and clean the axle casing out and fit a new gasket or suck it out thro the filler plug unless yours has the diff pan at the rear of the axle and yes the oil does have an additive for the lsd when I fitted a zf to a mk3 I struggle to fine anywhere that stocked lsd oil you may have to look at something like Demon tweeks or someone who prepares competition rear axles
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hetman » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:29 am

dumper wrote:Don’t loosen the diff housing to drain the oil it may not seal again you could remove the half shafts pull out the diff unit and clean the axle casing out and fit a new gasket or suck it out thro the filler plug unless yours has the diff pan at the rear of the axle and yes the oil does have an additive for the lsd when I fitted a zf to a mk3 I struggle to fine anywhere that stocked lsd oil you may have to look at something like Demon tweeks or someone who prepares competition rear axles

Dumper, thank you for that tip!! How in tarnation did Ford expect us to perform a simple oil change?!?! That's ludicrous. So I will have to suck out the old fluid through the filler hole?? Wow.

LSD additive is already acquired, years ago, in the US.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:40 pm

It’s what they call a top up only and replace oil on rebuilds they expect the van to rust out before it needs oil changed :D
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hetman » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:54 pm

DSC_3708.JPG
DSC_3688.JPG
DSC_3688.JPG
DSC_3691.JPG
So I managed to accomplish a whole lot less today than I had hoped for. LOL. I did good on the tea.... but unfortunately less mechanical work. I decided to first change the transmission fluid, and possibly tackle the rear axle as well, but soon realised that would be more grief than I needed at the moment, since the whole purpose of this van is to be able to use it reliably ASAP, so down-time should be held to a minimum, and in fact I have little faith in my own abilities to be able to get this back on the road by Wednesday like I'd hoped. Anyway, I took her for a drive this morning to warm up the fluids, and my younger son happily went along, and I dropped him off at a friend's and returned home. So, the clutch seems to have failed completely. Toward the end of the drive each time I came to a stop I had to shut off the engine in order to shift it into first and then turn it on again to be able to start and go..... so I decided to go ahead with it immediately with your help. ;) The transmission gear oil was only 900 ml and dirty but no metal. I suspect it's been there for decades. I filled it up with about 1300 ml.

So, getting to tomorrow's tasks. I have read the tech article (why can't I respond to it?) and find it very useful - the info I need. But in my Sachs kit there are only 3 items, the clutch and flywheel and bearing. What are these items (listed in that thread)?
Spigiot bearing
Rear oil seal (Di)
Oil seal housing gasket (Di)

I need to go to the parts store Monday morning? I thought, incorrectly, I assume, that all I'd need was the kit and grease. The salesman at the parts store counter didn't mention anything else related to a clutch replacement. What if these items are not in stock? So far I've noticed even Ford doesn't offer many parts, so I'd hate to not be able to find parts. But since I can't drive the van anyway, I might as well have some fun and take it apart. ;) What might be the likely cause of the oil leak that seems to be present under the rear of the engine? When I take off the clutch, I'll probably be able to find the source, correct? Should I go ahead and buy some kind of rear main seal? This might be one of the 3 items listed above? What else needs attention underneath?

I don't seem to have a clutch alignment tool, and I'll have to buy one on Monday I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:56 pm

dumper wrote:It’s what they call a top up only and replace oil on rebuilds they expect the van to rust out before it needs oil changed :D

Yes, and they are doing a marvellous job in this engineered obsolescence. Most of these vans look like they've spent 20 years at the bottom of the ocean. I'm surprised so many are still left, and mine, though having been repaired in many places, needs a complete going over....sigh.... but first mechanical things... sigh sigh sigh... LOL
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:05 pm

DSC_3731.JPG
DSC_3728.JPG
DSC_3726.JPG
DSC_3723.JPG
DSC_3720.JPG
Greetings. Today's report is not very substantial, like yesterday's. I simply don't deserve to lick the boots of the likes of that forum member who said he managed to perform this whole operation within 35 minutes with air tools. So... ;) I will toil on as fast as I can but that is more like a snail's pace. At least I haven't screwed up anything yet. Following that thread linked above, I have found some differences but I'm almost to the point of removing the transmission. I've disengaged the clutch cable at both ends actually (marking the spot where it was adjusted to just 4 days ago), the backup signal wire, speedometer cable, and shift lever. Also the driveshaft from the transmission. The instructional thread shows 6 bolts but mine was 4, and a 16 mm hex bolt (with T45 inside, which I couldn't access in any case due to the U Joint blocking proper access to the Torque inner thread. So, fortunately I had a 16 mm Craftsman (from the US - forged and never let me down) wrench (spanner?) and that took my extender bar just fine, and it seems that not only all 4 of these bolts needed it, but many more. And, the instructional thread indicated that it's necessary to leave the transmission in gear, which I did, but that blocked access to the two top bolts, so I took the risk of shifting back into neutral, moving the driveshaft around 180 degrees, putting it back into gear, and then removing the last 2 bolts. I hope I didn't screw up anything too bad. :) That came off without much ado, but the thread mentions something about now removing some other bearing seal with a Torx bolt? Please instruct me on that one.

In fact, can anyone confirm that I actually have a MT75 at all? I have no idea what any of these transmissions would look like, nor my axle. Is it the proper one according to the code? I had the engine running while on all 4 stands at the beginning of my work today, and in gear, both rear tires spin, and when I grab one, the other keeps spinning. So this is limited slip? I've decided to hold off on the replacement of the axle fluid just yet because my goal is to have this van on the road ASAP, so I'm just trying to do the necessary repairs now. Does anything look out of place in the pictures? I see the front axle seal is probably leaking, and the driveshaft rubber mounts are cracked, but that's probably not a safety issue.

Tomorrow I will try to buy as many of these seals as I can, and the clutch alignment tool. Enjoy the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:26 pm

If you grab one wheel and stop it turning and the other turns you have not got a LSD the idea of a LSD is that both wheels turn when you get stuck in mud or snow that’s why you get stuck with a standard diff it transfers all the power to the wheel with the least grip and all you get is one spinning wheel
That’s why you can’t weld up a diff for the road you need some slip to get round corners
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Keef » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:34 am

hetman wrote:Keef, thanks again for that info; I saw it in another thread and copied it here. Do you possibly have access to my body code? I"m very curious what it is.

Keef wrote:I'll try to look up your van details later when I get some spare time

Box 4 - Model Type Code

E = Range - Series: E Transit
B = Model - 100S
B = Gross vehicle weight - 2650kg
S = Engine - 4HB 2.5L 75PS engine
A = Body type - VAN
S = Wheelbase - 2835mm

Box 14 - Door combination

J = Mid height roof - Front doors hinged - Right hand sliding door - Double hinged mid height rear doors
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby hetman » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:42 am

Keef, thank you so much. The J confirms that it's a medium-roof cargo van.

Now if I could only figure out why the LSD is not working in my axle. :) First things first: replace the clutch. I went again to InterCars (major supplier of parts) and they keep telling me there is NO bearing behind the flywheel - just a gasket/seal. When I take off the flywheel I will take a picture.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:53 am

Day 4 of clutch change: Success! Well, another small step accomplished without breaking anything. I managed to remove the transmission. This was yesterday. So far, I have had to use a breaker bar on virtually every bolt and nut, and I'm becoming more familiar with Ford's engineering during this time period. I have come to the conclusion that they purposely designed everything to make it very, very complicated (thus attempting to dissuade people from doing any job themselves). I'm finding tolerances of half an inch or an inch needed to take any given element out, whereas it removal could have been accomplished by designing each subsystem slightly differently to accommodate easier dismantling and removing. You all know what I'm talking about, certainly. As evidence to support my bickering, I recall 10 years ago I removed the whole drivetrain (minus the axle) in one day, by myself, in a very similar van, my 1972 Ford Econoline which is 20 years older and has twice the power. On that van, everything was designed "normally", in other words, with an eye on repairs. Now they still have an eye on repairs, but design instead to throw away, or at least to make it hard to work on.

So be it.

I"ve been using the Haynes manual, and the "how-to" thread linked earlier, and I've noticed some things are different than in the instructional thread, but mainly things are much more complicated than what Haynes claims. I'm referring to having to remove just about every single subsystem under the van in order to get to the clutch. I've had particular difficulty with the nuts that hold on the exhaust downpipes from the exhaust manifold. I don't see how to access these 3 nuts easily. Essentially, I gave up and removed the transmission leaving the exhaust system unmoved. I dropped the transmission as carefully as I could sideways and at an angle to get it to clear the exhaust pipe aft of the cross-member. It cleared, finally, by tenths of an inch. I will now remove the exhaust system to help get it mounted back together, now that the tranny is out of the way. Today I have a couple hours and will try to remove the clutch itself and the flywheel and see if I can access that bearing inside. Wish me luck. ;)

First pictures are of my removal of the 302 cid V8 and 3-speed Top-Loader manual transmission from my 1972 Ford Econoline.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:06 am

Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:23 am

Does everything seem OK? The throwout bearing had a lot of play to the shaft.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hetman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:42 am

Of course I encourage any and all advice, tips or otherwise. ;) Please tell me if you see anything unusual, or if I"m screwing up (especially if I have already accomplished that!). The mechanic who helped me replace the clutch cable remarked that the end of the fork was not perfect. Was he referring to the spring mechanism not being tight enough to retain the fork into position? I am aware that the stud can wear and would need to be replaced if that were the case, but mine doesn't seem to show any abuse or wear that would preclude it functioning properly. Actually, the fork had fallen off that pivoting stud when the cable snapped. Anyway, I'm curious if I need to make any repairs to my fork, or if I need to buy another one, in which case any used one could be worse than my own. I will tighten down the spring mechanism but let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks! And, are there any material differences in the model number of the fork? Mine ends in JC, but I've seen JA for sale as well, and if I were to buy another one, are all versions compatible or interchangeable?
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!