*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Mk5 1997 rear floor and inner wheel arches

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Transit Mk5 1997 rear floor and inner wheel arches

Postby sportscott » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:20 pm

I decided to do the rear floor on my Van and got stuck straight into it with the idea of saving money. I bought one inner wheel arch as it was too far gone to repair
First regret was the repair on the other one was a lot of work and the bought repair section expensive. I did not have the benefit of hind sight but now still not finished patching have realised it would have been much easier to make the wheel arches myself and replace at least the whole back section of the floor in two halves. Also toying with the idea of making Van floor panels and chassis/repair parts as it is a lot easier to remove the whole section and weld in a new one than trying to patch up a rotten one and all much easier when you get the floor up. I have the time and place so if anybody would like to sponsor the venture and let me know what you need. postage from my place DHL to UK for up to 30kg is 40 pounds, A rear half of floor is 131 x 171 cm complete and with wheel arches is no more than 25kg
Here are pictures of the learning curve, wasting time, money and effort as you see it would be easier to change the whole floor panels.

Transit the everyday mans van....
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Transit Mk5 1997 rear floor and inner wheel arches

Postby Keef » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Nice work but I couldn't be bothered making the parts just to save the few quid that ready made parts cost

https://www.centralpanels.co.uk/product ... eel-panel/

https://www.centralpanels.co.uk/product ... heel-arch/
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby Jay2018 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:06 pm

Solid work!
2012 MK7 Transit Trend 125 T350 6 SPD FWD MWB MR (Frozen White) :D
2010 MK7 Transit Jumbo 100 - SOLD :(
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:05 am

Keef wrote:Nice work but I couldn't be bothered making the parts just to save the few quid that ready made parts cost

I didn't think floor panels were available, floor plus wheel arches for 230 pounds, or for me that's 1150 zl. equivalent of a monthly State pension in Poland. It is a lot of money, especially for a floor panel that will rot out just as quick or quicker than the original, the worst flaw is around the seat mounts where the ribs lie on top of the reinforcing, the water is channeled in and lies between. A sheet of 0.7 mm galvinised costs me 17.60 pound for 2.5m2 so it's more than saving a few quid.
And for a Van that on the face of it is a 23 year old Trannie with a face value of a couple of hundred quid. My woman wants to buy me a new Van but think it is not worth it as you can hardly repair yourself, won't last long and you won't get one on lpg.
Also about the 230 quid for the panels it is 230 quid on top of the cost of repairing what little surprises lie underneath, it is fabricating and messing about that costs time and money and if you were paying somebody to do it.
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby hetman » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:30 pm

sportscott wrote:
Keef wrote:Nice work but I couldn't be bothered making the parts just to save the few quid that ready made parts cost

I didn't think floor panels were available, floor plus wheel arches for 230 pounds, or for me that's 1150 zl. equivalent of a monthly State pension in Poland. It is a lot of money, especially for a floor panel that will rot out just as quick or quicker than the original, the worst flaw is around the seat mounts where the ribs lie on top of the reinforcing, the water is channeled in and lies between. A sheet of 0.7 mm galvinised costs me 17.60 pound for 2.5m2 so it's more than saving a few quid.
And for a Van that on the face of it is a 23 year old Trannie with a face value of a couple of hundred quid. My woman wants to buy me a new Van but think it is not worth it as you can hardly repair yourself, won't last long and you won't get one on lpg.
Also about the 230 quid for the panels it is 230 quid on top of the cost of repairing what little surprises lie underneath, it is fabricating and messing about that costs time and money and if you were paying somebody to do it.

And the items are for pickup only in England, can't be shipped. I imagine that there are no ready panels in Poland for these vans?

Good work.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sportscott » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:56 am

Getting there :D Almost worked all around the bottom. still have drivers sill and wheel arch, rear offside wheel arch and bottom corner of sliding door scuttle, tailgate and a few small chassis patches. plus there is a couple of places still on the rear floor that will be a problem in the future. It all looked ok in the beginning until I started tapping with a hammer.
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!