*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Red Ven

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Red Ven

Postby DG-Unit » Mon May 10, 2021 4:12 pm

Nordic Blue wrote:Loving your work, as ever DG-Unit! If that donor van you got the doors from has a side door with glass in it, I'd be interested!

If it did I would’ve taken it! Why do they seem to be so rare all of a sudden?
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Mon May 10, 2021 4:15 pm

DG-Unit wrote:
Nordic Blue wrote:Loving your work, as ever DG-Unit! If that donor van you got the doors from has a side door with glass in it, I'd be interested!

If it did I would’ve taken it! Why do they seem to be so rare all of a sudden?

Might have something to do with the newest ones being 15 years old, and they rot at least (if not worse) as badly as the earlier ones. They are at the bargain basement end of the scale at the moment where they are utterly disposable and only nutters get involved with fixing them to a reasonable standard :lol:
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Nordic Blue » Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 pm

DG-Unit wrote:If it did I would’ve taken it! Why do they seem to be so rare all of a sudden?

I know......

My SLD is bent where I believe the lock was sticking and the previous owner has tried to prise it open.

It works, somehow keeps the rain out but it doesn't sit right and looks dodgy. The previous owner had fitted a big tinted window in it so would prefer to get another the same. I'm not sure if I'll be able to transfer my window to another plain door without smashing it or the door - as I'm a bit clumsy! Therefore I think I would prefer to sit it out and wait for the right door!
2009 Renault Trafic Sport Crew Cab

Vans I have also owned:
1982 MK 2 SWB Transit
1992 Fiat Ducato
1993 MK 4 SWB Transit
2005 MK 6 SWB T280 Transit
Nordic Blue
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DG-Unit » Mon May 10, 2021 5:22 pm

Nordic Blue wrote:
DG-Unit wrote:If it did I would’ve taken it! Why do they seem to be so rare all of a sudden?

I know......

My SLD is bent where I believe the lock was sticking and the previous owner has tried to prise it open.

It works, somehow keeps the rain out but it doesn't sit right and looks dodgy. The previous owner had fitted a big tinted window in it so would prefer to get another the same. I'm not sure if I'll be able to transfer my window to another plain door without smashing it or the door - as I'm a bit clumsy! Therefore I think I would prefer to sit it out and wait for the right door!

Yeah I’m not mucking about with glazing. I do have the benefit of it being pointless trying to colour match the paintwork :lol: I wasn’t going to go with windows but it’s a bit grim without them and on Y junctions I need the visibility not to crash. Not sure guessing is a long-term strategy.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Tue May 11, 2021 8:57 am

DG-Unit wrote:
Nordic Blue wrote:

I know......

Yeah I’m not mucking about with glazing. I do have the benefit of it being pointless trying to colour match the paintwork :lol: I wasn’t going to go with windows but it’s a bit
grim without them and on Y junctions I need the visibility not to crash. Not sure guessing is a long-term strategy.

Exactly why I fit windows in the SLDs on mine - it makes for a far more pleasant driving experience

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Tue May 11, 2021 11:54 am

I know......

It works, somehow keeps the rain out but it doesn't sit right and looks dodgy. The previous owner had fitted a big tinted window in it so would prefer to get another the same. I'm not sure if I'll be able to transfer my window to another plain door without smashing it or the door - as I'm a bit clumsy! Therefore I think I would prefer to sit it out and wait for the right door![/quote]
Yeah I’m not mucking about with glazing. I do have the benefit of it being pointless trying to colour match the paintwork :lol: I wasn’t going to go with windows but it’s a bit
grim without them and on Y junctions I need the visibility not to crash. Not sure guessing is a long-term strategy.[/quote]

Exactly why I fit windows in the SLDs on mine - it makes for a far more pleasant driving experience[/quote]

I’m the opposite every camper I’ve built I’ve only had windows to comply with getting it logbooked and have always closed the curtains on van I even boarded them over with driving hgvs for years it’s all down to how you approach the Y junctions and set up you position on the road to get a good view of vehicle Approaching from the left it’s all about good road craft .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Tue May 11, 2021 12:00 pm

There is one particular junction that did it for me... because of the angle and where the vegetation is, its totally blind.

Its very common on the little single track roads where I am - but most can be managed easily enough as you say. Not all though!

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Tue May 11, 2021 1:13 pm

Yes matt your right sometimes there is not the room to manoeuvre and you have to go with what you’ve got as you say it’s a advantage to look out the side window but with doing more miles in panel vans and trucks I’ve never bothered opening the curtains and my latest van the curtains are thermal stick on it’s not so easy to move for driving and I prefer to leave them on when van is not in use.or maybe I’m just lazy :lol:
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DG-Unit » Sat May 15, 2021 11:15 pm

Now I knew it would be raining this weekend so didn’t seem like a good time to much about with insulating the back. So instead I got myself a Mk7 dash. Wasn’t planning to do this swap for ages but now I’ve started I’m into it. Found a nice Facebook ad for a breaking Mk7. Dismantling myself, for £130 walked away with the dash, gear linkages, dash loom, stereo, gear selector top, a bunch of wheel caps, some corner floor rubbers, a handful of extra fixings, b-pillars, brake fluid cap, steering fluid cap and probably hepatitis.
230E0EEE-605A-4BBC-8021-5F93360317D5.png

Got to work vacuuming the Chernobyl dust from under the dash and put sound sound deadening and insulation behind the rubber mats. Stocked up on some Halfords black vinyl paint (expect to regret that by the end of the summer), jet washed the lot with some mcguires multi purpose and gave it a little spray. I don’t think I’ve ever had so many parts off a vehicle at one time. something is bound to go wrong but I don’t know what yet.
571CFEAF-7F37-480B-9D78-4E1E20E5F4AE.jpeg
B3E1CCAA-0B41-418B-858F-A67FF0952671.jpeg
C451CF81-C42A-4244-9FF0-7E6CCCBB8FBC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Sun May 16, 2021 8:27 pm

So for a little while this will be a ‘things I wish I knew about the Mk7 dah swap before I started and couldn’t find on the forum/some tips’ thread...

1. You can fit the drivers side Mk7 upper mount in the bolt holes of the Mk6 steering column support bar using washers and not tightening to the Mk7 dash support bar until it’s in place to line it up:
6F89BAED-40DA-4028-A436-C332A60199A2.jpeg
BA8C9082-95E4-4557-A5B4-24E461766BDF.jpeg
. I figured the passenger side doesn’t really need it but happy to sure up the drivers side as that’s where the steering rack attaches.

2. You need to swap the Mk6 heater temp control cable for the Mk7 one because the Mk6 won’t reach. I did happen to have the Mk7 one but discovered after fitting it that the end was broken :cry: Also, fit it while the dash it off. It will help preserve knuckle skin, temper, will to live, an hour of your life etc.

3. Not essential but a nice touch is peeling off the old dash vin sticker and glueing it on the new Mk7 dash.

4. Fit the heater pipes to the dash before installing not to the heater.

5. Although I cut them off, you probably don’t need to worry about the x3 mounting brackets under the windscreen. If they do stick out, a couple of hammer blows will flatten them down. Obviously protect the windscreen from the hammer.

6. Halfords black vinyl spray paint seems pretty good for the dash. Their dark grey bumper paint is a perfect colour match for the A-pillar trims with the sun visors but chips off easily. It’s a low wear area so I’ll coat with a satin laquer.

7. Although this might seem like an alright job to do in intermittent weekend rain it really isn’t.

8. The Mk7 light switch doesn’t appear to be a straight swap onto the Mk6 harness.
Current state of things:
56BA8C41-62BF-4590-A9FC-4E349DE062EA.jpeg
502E306D-3B06-4C70-B8E4-C8AE76998D8C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Tue May 18, 2021 7:51 pm

Getting there slowly. Feeling like the Halfords vinyl paint was a mistake. Looks great but scratches off easily even with clear coat over the top. Might just be it needs more time but knowing Halfords it’s just another waste of money
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Wed May 19, 2021 11:31 am

Anyone else woke up at 4am due to a double rain storm and decided to research Mk7 dash swap headlight switches and scour eBay? Just me?

So found on here some posts about early Ford Cmax headlight switches having the illuminated fog light indicator on the switch (like the original mk6 switch) and not on the dash cluster (like the Mk7 and similar era Ford vehicles). Looks like the telltale sign for the telltale light is the ‘pull’ indicators on the rotary switch with separate illumination indicators below (as seen on the Mk6 switch). I did try to pull apart the Mk7 switch to see if I could put the back of the Mk6 switch onto the faceplate as they are the same shape but I can’t advise this approach as I exploded it trying to get the rotary switch off. I’ve ordered the one on the left:
D26915C2-74B4-4E01-8BF1-84E4D7C789D7.jpeg
I don’t have front fogs yet but will do when I get around to modifying the bumper so the equivalent of a granny knitted jumper - the van will grow into it. Also this switch is shiny new with a dimmer (hopefully that works just plugging it in). I have seen you can modify the switches without the indicator light and as I broke open the Mk7 switch I had I can confirm an LED will glow through the fog symbol on the switch. Just seems like extra faff at this stage and I’ve already broken the Mk7 switch.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Thu May 27, 2021 6:42 pm

Got myself an exciting Saturday driving up to Stoke, my ancestral homeland, to grab a sliding door with glass at a bargain price. Will stock up on oat cakes and return with the goods. In the meantime I’ve been fettling with the dash fascia while I wait for a non-broken heater cable to be available.
B549B7EB-A040-4E52-AA9A-F0AF7D24F02E.jpeg
DB8E9F79-FF0D-4363-AA0B-369888486FBA.jpeg
B483DD8C-461E-42F3-976F-D81495F92587.jpeg
Let’s hope it’s more useful than a card holder.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Nordic Blue » Fri May 28, 2021 8:48 am

DG-Unit wrote:Got myself an exciting Saturday driving up to Stoke, my ancestral homeland, to grab a sliding door with glass at a bargain price.

If they have a second one in diamond white with glass, I'd be interested!

Loving your work with the dash. It has made me realise it is way beyond my capabilities to do it to mine!
2009 Renault Trafic Sport Crew Cab

Vans I have also owned:
1982 MK 2 SWB Transit
1992 Fiat Ducato
1993 MK 4 SWB Transit
2005 MK 6 SWB T280 Transit
Nordic Blue
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 am

Nordic Blue wrote:
DG-Unit wrote:Got myself an exciting Saturday driving up to Stoke, my ancestral homeland, to grab a sliding door with glass at a bargain price.

If they have a second one in diamond white with glass, I'd be interested!

Loving your work with the dash. It has made me realise it is way beyond my capabilities to do it to mine!

You can buy the glass and fit yourself, there only bonded in.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143192593324 ... %3A2334524

I was looking for a long time for an sld with glass, gave up after a few years as now I don’t need windows in the back.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!