*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How restored the Moscow MK2 for a cold climate from Finland

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

How restored the Moscow MK2 for a cold climate from Finland

Postby Pablo-pilot » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:47 pm

I bought it in 2012. I brought him in a tow truck and after a brief revival, I started registering him with the traffic police. Then came the winter, during which I started collecting information and buying spare parts and a donor. And with the spring sun, the work began to boil. Transit was dismantled almost to the bone. Cleaned, brewed, and restored the missing elements of the interior. The amount of work was not small and because of this, we started painting in the late autumn.
Along with the bodywork, work was carried out to replace the gearbox with a type N box from Ford Sierra 2.3 diesel. A spare wheel attachment to the rear door and a ladder were also made. This was done to increase the load on the rear axle. Since the owner of the donor got into a skid passing the turn at not the highest speed. If his car had been loaded with anything, it wouldn't have been a disaster.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: How restored the Moscow MK2 for a cold climate from Finl

Postby Pablo-pilot » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:55 pm

We can say that we were lucky, there were no holes, and besides, the super-deficient front wings were not so long ago digested for new ones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pablo-pilot » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:01 pm

Some more illustrations
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pablo-pilot » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:09 pm

With transmission, oddly enough, there were no big difficulties. I had to re-drill the holes in the clutch housing and sharpen the spacer ring. And then everything fell into place. Except for the hole in the floor under manual transmission handle .
Last edited by Pablo-pilot on Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pablo-pilot » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:15 pm

Despite the fact that there were not many holes, the putty took quite a lot. Exactly as well as the time for fine-tuning. But the result exceeded expectations.
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pablo-pilot » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:22 pm

Since we did not have the number of the native paint, we had to choose the color "by eye". It worked, but not immediately.
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pablo-pilot » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:30 pm

And then the assembly went on.
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pablo-pilot » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:34 pm

Collected, started and moved to another box for the winter.
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pablo-pilot » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:38 pm

In the spring, they began to finish the interior.
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pablo-pilot » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:39 pm

Since the paneling of the front doors was quite decent, it was decided to do the rest of the paneling in the image and likeness. Leatherette and foam rubber were bought, and the remains of hardboard were found in the country. With the help of a Singer sewing machine, foam rubber and leather were sewn in the places of the native lines made by thermal stamping. And then this blank was pasted on a pre-cut element. We glued each seam separately, and then glued the edges. You can see the result in the photo.
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Nordic Blue » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:32 pm

Looks like a really nice job you're doing there. I especially like your replica interior door cards.

I feel for whoever was in that donor van when it crashed. I imagine there are not many straight parts left for it to donate!
2009 Renault Trafic Sport Crew Cab

Vans I have also owned:
1982 MK 2 SWB Transit
1992 Fiat Ducato
1993 MK 4 SWB Transit
2005 MK 6 SWB T280 Transit
Nordic Blue
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pablo-pilot » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:36 am

Nordic Blue wrote:Looks like a really nice job you're doing there. I especially like your replica interior door cards.
Thanks! The concept was as close as possible to the original.
I feel for whoever was in that donor van when it crashed. I imagine there are not many straight parts left for it to donate!

Yes, there are only two whole parts left: the Hood (which I put on my own) and the front panel. But nevertheless, a lot of things from him I went to work. And most importantly, he was unharmed!
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pablo-pilot » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:42 am

As a result, the skin turned out like this. And immediately reduced the noise level in the cabin.
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pablo-pilot » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:56 am

The next step closer to the original was the sewing of seat covers. Since the seats were not original, but quite decent and it did not make sense to drag the entire skin of them, it was decided to simply sew covers for the entire interior. To do this, we bought a fabric with a pattern that is closest in meaning. And they went back to the sewing machine.
I will also add that all the work on the salon was carried out on their own, and did not resort to the help of professionals. In particular, my mother was engaged in sewing work.
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pablo-pilot » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:51 am

As a result, the salon began to look like this:
Pablo-pilot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!