*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Chris's medium mk7

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Chris's medium mk7

Postby hilton484 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:09 am

Not as much as I hoped but still a good bit :)

Got the aluminium rail cut and drilled, fitted the riv nuts and mounted, then made the frame to make it a little higher, more space below and not hunched over as much to cook etc

Didn't get the dividing done as the boxes keep reminding me by slamming front back and side to side.

I got the amps mostly wired back up, unfortunately both ground cables and 1 power cable were too short to reach so I had to swap for longer ones, then the brass screw stripped trying to squash the thick wire down so had to tape it back up till I find a suitable screw.

At least I will have the rear speakers back now.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:19 pm

Been a while since last update, didn't have much time in the rush for the festival trying to get as much done as possible.

I ended up finding a second van that my friend would be using. He was looking at sprinters and there just wasn't the right one available at the time (distance + cost Vs problems + time).
My plan was that the second transit would be more familiar, and could either be quickly tidied up and flipped after the festival, or provide upgrades for mine. I'll do a new thread on that van though as that took most of the 2/3 weeks before the festival.

I got a few more bits done in mine, everything worked well and was a great test run of the setup, now I know that some of the bits are worth redoing better.

My friend picked a few bits for the other van and mine ended up with some too. He wanted seats like mine and asked the guy if he had steering wheels too, he had about 6 of them and airbags too. Think he paid about £20-25 each including airbag. Was a fairly easy fit the airbag spring clip is a bit of a pain but once that was out 1 bolt and wheel was swapped :)

He bought a set of used wheels + tyres as a couple were great, got them painted up with some left over black paint and finished with holographic glitter black. Then came to fit and realised that they needed to be 16" for the front brakes to clear and he'd got 15s. So they went on mine. Will swap the tyres at some point as the all terrains are quite cracky but got a bit of use out of them first.

Ordered and fitted 5*7 speakers above the doors, wired to the amp, finishes the sound of nicely, and I didn't stop a hole in them this time lol

Finished paint the silver on the driver's side and scrubbed off the overspray and gave it a good wash. Ordered a small double memory foam mattress, I decided I would cut it down rather than squashing it in. It came in a nice cover so was easy to cut with a bread knife and zipped it back up.

Fitted a usb socket in the d/s dash cubby, fitted another on the bed rail next to counter. And bodged a sink kit in. This was really nice addition but there was a lot wrong with the installation. It leaked a bit and looks a mess, didn't have the right size bit of counter left over etc and didn't want to but more. Definitely worth having but it like bigger tanks and to mount them under the van.

I fitted led strips one above the cab and 1 at the rear didn't wire it up properly just jumped off the interior light. Lots to think about and improve, but no big rush now, next will be to collect part for engine rebuild (clutch, exhaust, cat, turbo etc)

We set off Wednesday night and found a place to park, didn't know really where we were but didn't see signs saying no over night, was empty and we tucked away in a corner so figured we'd be fine. Turned out to be rnli silloth. We only parked up had a brew and sleep, in the morning realised there was a toilet nearby and then went to Asda for breakfast and a bit of shopping for the weekend.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hilton484 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:52 pm

After shopping went went to the festival site and found out spot, as expected the stuards sent us wrong place so we went and found a spot ourselves right behind the main stage. The first sent us to general camping which is for tents, then gave us a spot right by the entrance the the love in field the complete opposite end from the festival entrance, the stuard told Lee to back his up metal fence till hi towbar touched the fence and could use the back doors and he was stuck out into road. :/ our spot was much better right were they should have started from, and we checked the map after too.

We enjoyed bacon sausage egg buttys on Friday and Saturday morning and cooked wagu burgers for tea on Saturday or sunday. It was good food and even the wagu burgers cost a fraction of festival prices so definitely going to be improved for next year. Lee got me a jetboil thing for my birthday which was great for quickly boiling water for brews.

After leaving the festival, we went and found a spot to park up by the beach, there were quite a few and we stopped at one and had a walk along the beach and had some food, pasta and meatballs, it was a huge portion but it was really good. We needed to go shop so went in his van and left the mine there. Kept an eye out for better spots as there were 2 other campers in the opposite corner where we were, we saw a perfect spot and got the other van and moved there.

Woke up to high tide and by the time we were ready we were watching it go out so went to find stones and skim them etc then we headed home :)

All in all considering neither van was really finished, and the short time we had from what the other van started like I consider it a success.
Certainly better than paying about £300 to rent 1 van plus the deposit you get back of about £250.
For 2 vans we would have needed about £1100 and get £500 back after we return them, and we would have been able to modify them so would have just been foam floor mats and airbeds.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

hilton484
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!