Transitmania 11 @Santa Pod 17th to 19th May 2019


Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby kiwi_mk2 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:25 am

Finally the transplant has begun, engine bay stripped of everything and awaiting the new engine....
Image
Image

After much measuring the firewall needed some cutting......
Image

Now offer the engine up and.....
Image
Image

Now for some mounts....
Image
I have decided to use 2 of the original mounting holes and fit a new crush tube and captive nut for the rear holes of the new mounts. These two new mounts will be joined together underneath to make a nice strong subframe
I want to take my van to Gatwick and park it in the Transit lounge!
User avatar
kiwi_mk2
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 8:38 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby Luke » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:14 am

top project 8) 8) 8)
i'll look forward to reading this one :D
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 42081
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby rover » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:31 am

Nice work mate 8)

I'm so jealous of the engines you have over there :wink:

Rover.
User avatar
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6403
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:03 am
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby vannut » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:40 pm

I'm just jealous of the lack of rust! :lol:
Where's me anorak!!!
User avatar
vannut
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:41 am
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby kiwi_mk2 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:37 am

Well i'm jealous of all the cheap and readily avaliable 5 speed boxes you guy's have over there...... Need a T5 soon.....
I want to take my van to Gatwick and park it in the Transit lounge!
User avatar
kiwi_mk2
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 8:38 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby Sundowner » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:19 am

kiwi_mk2 wrote:Well i'm jealous of all the cheap and readily avaliable 5 speed boxes you guy's have over there...... Need a T5 soon.....


I dont think you'd want to run a UK spec T5 better off going for one from a falcon or commodore

Very nice van btw 8)
Yeah i know its big green and rusty so move your Porsche before i bash it with 460 cubes of fords finest cast iron
User avatar
Sundowner
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:01 pm

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby kiwi_mk2 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:17 am

After a few more hours work the right hand mount is finished ! Just a little tidying and these can be painted... finally :D :D
Image

Since i have finished using the engine for mounts and firewall mods i can now spend some time ( and $$$ ) and strip it down and see what sort of condition it is in....
Image
Sorry for the lack of photo's too... :oops:
I want to take my van to Gatwick and park it in the Transit lounge!
User avatar
kiwi_mk2
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 8:38 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby WRECKERSTEVE » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:40 am

did you have to fit it that far back or was that optional and iy looks a very narrow engine
you break it i take it
WRECKERSTEVE
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:25 am
Location: cornwall

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby Sundowner » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 am

how do you know if the engine is in the correct position?

once the engine and box are mounted will it have the correct box to pinion angle?

Is the engine going to be EFI or carb?
Yeah i know its big green and rusty so move your Porsche before i bash it with 460 cubes of fords finest cast iron
User avatar
Sundowner
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:01 pm

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby kiwi_mk2 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:54 am

WRECKERSTEVE wrote:did you have to fit it that far back or was that optional and iy looks a very narrow engine

Idecided to fit it that far back to keep the weight back as far as i could , the engine is a Windsor so it it a little narrower than a Cleveland, plus it's only a Small Block compared with Sundowners Big Block!
I want to take my van to Gatwick and park it in the Transit lounge!
User avatar
kiwi_mk2
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 8:38 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby kiwi_mk2 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:01 am

Sundowner wrote:how do you know if the engine is in the correct position?

once the engine and box are mounted will it have the correct box to pinion angle?

Is the engine going to be EFI or carb?


I took a few measurements off the 2 litre to give me some idea of where to sit the new one plus i'll be fitting a 9" axle once the engine and box are mounted so if there is any adjustment to do i can do it then.
The engine will be running a carburettor and electronic distributor,
Cheers for the heads up about T5's too.... looking for a Falcon one now :)
I want to take my van to Gatwick and park it in the Transit lounge!
User avatar
kiwi_mk2
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 8:38 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby Luke » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:09 pm

yeah mate get it sitting as far back as you can - ive got problems getting the power down in mine :o and its only a 2.9V6 :shock:

quality engineering work btw 8)
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 42081
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby vannut » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:54 pm

kiwi_mk2 wrote:After a few more hours work the right hand mount is finished ! Just a little tidying and these can be painted... finally :D :D
Image

:


That's a lovely bit of quality welding mister. :D










:mrgreen:
Where's me anorak!!!
User avatar
vannut
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:41 am
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby Sundowner » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:29 pm

kiwi_mk2 wrote:
Sundowner wrote:how do you know if the engine is in the correct position?

once the engine and box are mounted will it have the correct box to pinion angle?

Is the engine going to be EFI or carb?


I took a few measurements off the 2 litre to give me some idea of where to sit the new one plus i'll be fitting a 9" axle once the engine and box are mounted so if there is any adjustment to do i can do it then.
The engine will be running a carburettor and electronic distributor,
Cheers for the heads up about T5's too.... looking for a Falcon one now :)


With some luck it will work out

With the body level i float the engine and box (box on jack engine on lifter) in its desired position the set the tail shaft angle and make a gearbox x member (it will change slightly one the engine mounts are done)

Once the box is bolted in i fine tune the engine position by sitting a small level on the manifold where the carb mounts and then adjust to make this area level, its important to get it right as the wrong engine angle can effect the carbs behavior and sometimes effect the oiling system and create air pockets in the water jackets

Once its all sitting right its then time to do the engine mounts
Yeah i know its big green and rusty so move your Porsche before i bash it with 460 cubes of fords finest cast iron
User avatar
Sundowner
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:01 pm

Re: Kiwi Mk2 5 litre transplant

Postby vannut » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:59 am

Sundowner wrote:
kiwi_mk2 wrote:
Sundowner wrote:how do you know if the engine is in the correct position?

once the engine and box are mounted will it have the correct box to pinion angle?

Is the engine going to be EFI or carb?


I took a few measurements off the 2 litre to give me some idea of where to sit the new one plus i'll be fitting a 9" axle once the engine and box are mounted so if there is any adjustment to do i can do it then.
The engine will be running a carburettor and electronic distributor,
Cheers for the heads up about T5's too.... looking for a Falcon one now :)


With some luck it will work out

With the body level i float the engine and box (box on jack engine on lifter) in its desired position the set the tail shaft angle and make a gearbox x member (it will change slightly one the engine mounts are done)

Once the box is bolted in i fine tune the engine position by sitting a small level on the manifold where the carb mounts and then adjust to make this area level, its important to get it right as the wrong engine angle can effect the carbs behavior and sometimes effect the oiling system and create air pockets in the water jackets

Once its all sitting right its then time to do the engine mounts


'kin 'ell! Technical innit! :lol:
Where's me anorak!!!
User avatar
vannut
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:41 am
Location: North Yorkshire

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users