*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Mk1 Original Dormobile Resurrection

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Transit Mk1 Original Dormobile Resurrection

Postby JustTrying » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:33 pm

This are a few pictures of 'bad rot' on my 1973 MK1 SWB transit.
It is an original dormobile conversion. Serial No. 67I16-73-689.
The van is off the road at the moment. But running and driving. Brakes working as well.
Near side pillar nearly rotted through to screen.
Front_NearS_Pillar1.JPG

Front_NearS_Pillar2.JPG

Rear door offside hinge mounting completely rotted through and rust working its way down roof gutter.
RearDoorOffS_Frame1.JPG

RearDoorOffS_Frame2.JPG

RearDoorOffS_Frame3.JPG

Continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Transit Mk1 Original Dormobile Resurrection

Postby JustTrying » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:38 pm

Damaged and rotten front offside lower wing. Difficult to see from picture but the wing is out of shape due to a clout on the corner.
FrontOffSideLowerWing1.JPG

Floor is very poor as well but is easier to fab and repair.
Plans are to get it on the road for next may. But no restorations or fancy pants resprays at this stage.
Just the necessary to be road worthy and usable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby oldskooler » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:13 pm

thats an ambitious project for sure, but worth saving an original camper...
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby JustTrying » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:40 pm

Yep, I'm in two minds as to whether the work should be done or the van used as a donor.
The rear tailgate aperture is the worst. It has actually 'broken' with the GRP roof keeping it together.
As I see it the roof will have to come off to do all the welding needed.
But first the rear door needs removing and a temp repair to maintain the geometry (or whats left of it).
I managed to get a Haynes manual. This says that a special tool is needed to release the torsion bars in the hinges.
Has anybody any experience of removing a rear tailgate? Perhaps some advice on what to avoid, especially trapped fingers!
Anybody made up their own removal tool?
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JustTrying » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:50 pm

Thought I would post an update.
I have decided to go ahead with this van.
One of the kind souls on this forum has provided me with a replacement roof that I can use as a donor.
Been stripping parts of the original Dormobile interior to get access to the floor and body.
Here is a picture of the nearside top hinge for the tailgate.
DoorTorsionBarsOffSide.JPG

And here is the Nearside for comparison.
DoorTorsionBarsNearSide.JPG

The previous owner obviously thought that the rust problem could be solved with expanding foam. :roll:
I am going to struggle repairing the hinge mounting with the tailgate off.
The top of the tailgate aperture has dropped so I need the tailgate in place to make sure the mounting is welded in the right place.
Trust me when I say the tailgate is heavy with torsion bars released.
Will post more info as I progress.
Have a merry xmas.
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JustTrying » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:29 am

I could not find any info on the Ford special tool nor any realistic instructions how to release the torsion bars. So I have detailed below how I did it and the final tool I made up.
Problem is alignment of door due to hinge dropped in photo 01 and 02. The Haynes manual gives a very simple 4 line removal procedure for the torsion bars. Its not this easy!
01NearsideTailgateAlignment.JPG

02OffsideTailgateAlignment.JPG

Picture 03 shows assembled hinge/torsion bar in open position. There is a hinge stop which determines the height of the open door. No adjustment.
What Haynes manual calls the 'T' retainer can be seen supporting the end of the torsion bar hoop. The torsion bar effectively operates on a push rod that pushes on the hinge to take the weight of the door.
03T_RetainerInPosition.JPG

First is to remove these 'T' retainers. They are not identical and handed shown in picture 04. Suggest supporting the open door throughout by two props either side.
04T_Retainer_Handed.JPG

The torsion bars literally cross over in the middle of the van shown in picture 05. The torsion bars are 10mm diameter. The bottom bar needs removing first.
05TorsionBarsCrossOver.JPG

continued...
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JustTrying » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:40 am

Having not managed to get any info on Ford special tool. Picture 06a shows what I made up first from a length of 12mm re-bar. I replaced this with the 12mm bar in Picture 06b. A 5mm deep notch is ground in the end of the bar as a saddle for the torsion bar. 55mm from the centre of the notch a bend is made at 65 degree. Nothing special about the angle other than to clear the mechanism to fit in the space. The original re-bar tool was OK but when I used the mild steel 12mm rod it started bending so I ran a length of weld down the back to make it stiffer. Also when I made the bend I was concerned about how close the notch was to the end so welded an 8mm on to make more of a claw. The length of the rod is 570mm from knee to tip. I used a 16" chisel to guide and fiddle the torsion bar as the hinge tension is released. Suggest you do not get your fingers in there.
06aToolsSuperceded.JPG

06bFinalTool.JPG

The tool must go in the location shown in pics 07a and 07b. Can slip or no clearance otherwise. This is levered from the outside.
07aToolInPlace.JPG

07bToolInPlace.JPG

Picture 08 shows the tension taken off the hinge (door now loose and should already be supported). What I have called the push rod is now hanging loose. The torsion bar is now settled on the 'Hinge Stop' but is still under a lot of tension.
08HingeTensionReleased.JPG

This is where the difficulties really start. First go resulted in the torsion bar slipping and springing out.
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JustTrying » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:47 am

I removed the other torsion bar with an addition to the tool. This was at the other end of the bar. This time two notches on opposite sides to ensure it couldn't slip. Distance between notch centres is 56mm. After the second notch the bar is cranked to 170 degrees. This is because a straight bar would not clear the hinge support crossmember inside. It is very important that the two ends are cranked as shown otherwise the angle will foul the roof inside.
Picture 09 I have put some labels on that are used in the explanation below:
1. Push Rod
2. Hinge Stop
3. Torsion bar hoop located in its saddle.
4. Hinge metal slope (and channel for torsion bar other end)
5. Door hinge point and Push rod hinge point
09HingeExplain.JPG

When releasing the tension the torsion bar has to be twisted and slid together. Yes GULP. So pic 10 shows a set of long nose mole grips clamped onto the hinge about 25mm away from the torsion bar to create a stop. Looking at this pic, what is needed is the torsion bar to be tensioned to release it and then pushed/prised towards the molegrips (with the 16" chisel). When it touches and the hoop has come out of its saddle, the bar can now be rotated downwards to release its tension. Picture 11 shows the final location sat against the molegrips with the tool notches located on the hoop. Levering is from the inside. The torsion bar can now be removed by unhooking at the other side (no tension).
10MoleGrips.JPG

11TensionReleased.JPG

Picture 12 shows the relaxed angle of the torsion bar with the orig end of the tool fitted. As can be seen it fouls the hinge so can not be used for final removal.
12RelaxedPositionAngle.JPG
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JustTrying » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:02 pm

And the last bit of info..
I wish I could say the replacement is just reverse of removal. But a few warnings. With the door loose, when it is raised the hanging push rods will stop the door going to the correct height. Do not force the door higher. Use some tape to keep the rods up so the door goes to the correct height. To get the torsion bar into the saddle ready for the door is very tricky. First fit the mole grips. With my made up tool (175 degree end) I located the torsion bar lever end in its bracket. Offered up the hoop end and fitted the tool ready for tensioning. Also ready with the 16" chisel. On the hinge there is a metal slope on one side. I placed the torsion bar hoop on this and then tensioned up the torsion bar using this slope/mole grips to keep it in the correct place while tensioned (from inside the van). When rotated and can be seen that it can go into the saddle, I used the chisel to prise the tensioned hoop back towards the saddle to finally locate it. Ensure you have a decent point to lever the hoop towards its saddle. A slip and the whole thing twangs out. The hinge push rod can now be located onto the torsion bar by reversing that operation from the outside. Again I used the chisel to move the push rod up just to keep my fingers out of the way.

A bit of a long winded post but hopefully helps somebody else who can't obtain the ford tool. This took me numerous attempts and re-thinks.
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby oldskooler » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:36 am

wow,...thats a great detailed guide and will no doubt be a huge help to someone faced with this task in the future..

i had the door off my van last time i had it painted, but just folded in the hinges to the door closed position and masked them up....

it sure does look like a proper mare to a job to remove and re fit the torsion bars safely as they carry so much weight...
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby JustTrying » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:58 pm

Hey Declan.
Totally correct. Nightmare.
I had to do some temp work on the hinge support but the door is now closing and latch working.
Picture of alignment (compared to above).
13DoorAligned.JPG

Found why the roof gutter is so rotten. The GRP camper roof has been glued on with a bonding paste. No bolts.
To get the adhesion who ever did it ground the paint off for the paste to stick. But have not repainted it after fixing.
Yep bare metal.
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby oldskooler » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:07 am

thats a good bit of progress to start with getting the hatch door back in alignment....fair play..

ive been a bit lazy with mine since christmas, but making little bits of progress...

must get some updates up...
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby JustTrying » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:31 pm

A bit of progress.
I have removed the GRP camper roof to reveal the original dormobile modification.
RoofOpening.JPG

Dormobile left a section of roof over the front seats. The opening is re-enforced with pressed/folded angle with captive nuts for fixings.
Now the GRP is out of the way all the rot can be seen on the roof seam.
SevereRotOnDriversSide.JPG

Loadza wurk ! :roll:
Also some pics of where the GRP roof has caused rot above both the windscreen pillars. Probably due to condensation puddling.
NearSideRotCausedByRoof.JPG

OffSideRotCausedByRoof.JPG

When you look at whats left of the roof, there is not much to save. It is peppered with self tapper holes and more rust. Some is out of shape.
Sooooo....
I have decided to replace the roof as a whole. Which is a lot more work than I wanted. :shock:
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JustTrying » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:13 pm

Thought I would do an update on progress...
Did a load of measuring on the MK2 donor roof and compared to the original roof. There are some obvious differences.
These are the front screen top section is different for the Mk2 screen design. Later is 'squared off'.
Also there is additional bracing for the tailgate door.
Did some 'bent brake pipe' curve checks on the roof shape (Very technical eh? :) ) and there were a few slight differences. This may be due to poor repairs, abuse, who knows?
So I got cold feet replacing the roof as a whole. So have jumped in with doing it in sections...
Worst bit first. Offside.
1_DonorRoofCut.JPG

And for those who might be interested, the profile through the cut.
2_RoofProfile.JPG

The offside roof seam being replaced.
3_OffsideRoofSeam.JPG

Offside cut out.
4_OldMetalRemoved.JPG

Donor section tacked in. Window opening will need cutting out later.
5_DonorRoofReplace.JPG
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JustTrying » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 pm

Donor roof section let into original Dormobile roof mod.
6_DonorRoofLetIn.JPG

Still a lot of work to do though. And still a lot of rust to attack.
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!