*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk1 LWB Ex-Feuerwehr Camper Conversion

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk1 LWB Ex-Feuerwehr Camper Conversion

Postby Luke » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:13 pm

oldskooler wrote:looking v cool luke, shes coming along nicely. are you going to get the rear wellers banded?
:lol: dont give me those ideas 8) :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:54 pm

i haven't touched this for 2 days i fitted the front drivers seat on the swivel base and it was a pain without my angle grinder - hacksaw and file is too much like hard work :roll: :lol:

so i decided to finish off cycling the trans-pennine-trail with Sophie on the tag bike we made :D all done now 215 miles from southport to hornsea :mrgreen:

now back on with the van 8)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby camper-man » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:22 am

Luke wrote:i haven't touched this for 2 days i fitted the front drivers seat on the swivel base and it was a pain without my angle grinder - hacksaw and file is too much like hard work :roll: :lol:

so i decided to finish off cycling the trans-pennine-trail with Sophie on the tag bike we made :D all done now 215 miles from southport to hornsea :mrgreen:

now back on with the van 8)

Didn't know you was into cycling luke I would like to do the full trans-pennine trail i go on it every week the bit local to me (The loop-line as its called in Liverpool) i do about 20mile only been cycling about 8 months so think i need more time till i set off no any big rides.How long did it take you to do the trans-pennine trail ?.
camper-man
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:59 pm

camper-man wrote:Didn't know you was into cycling luke I would like to do the full trans-pennine trail i go on it every week the bit local to me (The loop-line as its called in Liverpool) i do about 20mile only been cycling about 8 months so think i need more time till i set off no any big rides.How long did it take you to do the trans-pennine trail ?.
it took us 5 days, but the 1st day i started from rotherham and drove to southport, in hindsight i should have stopped overnight in southport then it would be easy to do it in the 4 days and i'm pritty sure i could do it in 3 days with the tag bike or 2 days with just my bike, i know it has been done in a day but you'd have to be more into cycling than me :lol: the most we did was 76 miles in a day :D

back on the van - my angle grinder has arrived 8) i've dropped the steering column off at a local machine shop for sleeving as it needs to be 60mm shorter. i've also removed all the lhd pedals, and associated stuff, the clutch looks a bit of a pain to make work but as this engine wont be in for long i'll just bodge something together :mrgreen:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:03 pm

got the steering box mount fitted - decided not to weld it in, mainly as they rust between where they are bolted - so i fitted a ring of bolts round where the spot welds would be i was going to make an arched plate to match on the wheel side to give it extra strength but i dont think its necessary - its just as strong if not stronger than spotwelded.
to fit the mk3 box mount it did need the wing cutting and welding as its a different shape to the mk1, but now its done it fits flush.

ive bolted the pas box up and i'll jig all the steering column to suit it and then swap back to the regular box untill i get an engine with pas, the regular box does look shorter so i'm not sure it will fit :?
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:44 am

still plodding on :D

got the servo in
run the front brake pipes
o/s rear brake fitted
handbrake cable in place but missing the 'U' piece that fits to the rod
clutch - problem with this :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=148752 posted there :D
accelerator cable in and working but needs bracketing (easy job)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Still on target for getting it done for Transitmania 6 :D

today i got the n/s rear brake done but the main thing was getting the column back from the machine shop - ive jigged it all up and trial fitted it in position - just need to strip it back and weld it up then re-assemble but it works :mrgreen:

this will be the position of the wheel 8) - utilising all the mk1 instruments - well indicator stalk :lol:

i also got some brake pipe to finish off piping it up so as soon as my master cyl arrives i can drive it :mrgreen:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:15 pm

Luke wrote:still plodding on :D

got the servo in
run the front brake pipes
o/s rear brake fitted
handbrake cable in place but missing the 'U' piece that fits to the rod
clutch - problem with this :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=148752 posted there :D
accelerator cable in and working but needs bracketing (easy job)

Luke can you not pull out the box and rotate the fork and pivot and a standard cable will do the trick.Will sort the bushes by Friday busy with work.
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:33 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Luke can you not pull out the box and rotate the fork and pivot and a standard cable will do the trick.Will sort the bushes by Friday busy with work.
unfortunatly not the bellhousing has only 1 hole in it :( and cheers 8)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:33 pm

well at least i think it does - i'll double check tomorrow :idea: :)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:59 pm

there was only 1 hole in the bellhousing but ive managed to sort it by using a 2.5Di cable - it doesnt exactly fit the pedal end but it rests in place :? and ive made a Heath Robinson bracket the other end - ive got some sort of pedal but i'll not know for sure untill i get it running

all the column is done and ive removed the pas box and fitted the standard mk3 lwb one - the coupling is too short so hopefully a swb one will fit it looks promising but i havent got one to hand to try - job for tomorrow.

ive also extended the wires across for the indicators and main beam - if i had time i think i'd remove the whole loom and turn it upside down and that way everything should be in place but as this is going to be a camper there will be wires everywhere so a few more wont matter

almost getting to the point where i can count the jobs left - might be time for a list :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:23 pm

got the exhaust welded up - its now a side exiting one made from the original but with all the rotten bits cut out :lol:

also fitted the longer swb steering link and it fits a treat 8) couldnt have been a better fit if i'd had it made from scratch :D

so a good tip for anyone planning on fitting pas to a mk3 is fit the mk3 standard steering box 1st with the long shaft save the short shaft then as soon as you get your pas box its a simple swap :D

the only reason i dont have my pas box in now is i dont have the facility for a pas pump on my engine :)

the only thing i'm short of now is the actual drop arm for the non pas box - i have one connected to a box that i need to split but i can't find my puller :evil:

all i have is this photo :( :lol:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby captain hook » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:20 pm

Why not use an electric pump as Robbie C did on his van :wink:
captain hook
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:51 pm

captain hook wrote:Why not use an electric pump as Robbie C did on his van :wink:
i had a quick look but couldnt find one what was it off :?:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby broon4 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:10 pm

Luke wrote:all this hot weather is making me want this done - so i did a bit more today :D

fitted the LPG tank (this is for on board appliances not running the engine)

here it is :mrgreen:

nope its not to close to the ground its spot on :D for those who didnt read the thread when i got the tank 5 years ago its off a mk6 transit :D

7" rs alloy is that a x pack i see aswell luke
broon4
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!