*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1995 Ford Torneo

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

1995 Ford Torneo

Postby frank_sumner » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:08 am

Update on the Torneo. Its taken a while but:

Seats - sorted. Bought two new 3 seat units which turned out to be for a LHD bus (sit too far to the left) :? So took the seat covers and foam off the new chairs and fitted them to the old frames (what a job that was!). The benefit of this was that I retained the fold forward rear Torneo seat which is great when carrying a load :)

Heated Windsreen - Couldn't work out why the old one wasn't working, but then fate intervened and a stone chip at the edge of the screen caused a big crack. Windscreen replaced on the insurance and now works fine :)

Heater - only working on position one. This one was easy. Read the website, buy a resistor and hey presto...

Juddering starts and lots of stalls. New clutch, now like a new van :)

Coolant disappearing - turned out to be a radiator leak. But then the radiator turned out to be full of crud. New radiator, all OK :)

Water Temperature Gauge. Not working. Sender replaced, working fine :)

Have scrubbed and scrubbed the carpets and they now look clean, same with the headlining. Fitted phillips xeon bulbs to the headlights (makes a fantastic difference from standard bulbs) plus fitted a pair of Ring Angel eyes driving lights, so have the angel eye effect + extra lighting when required.

Jobs for the spring. Sort out the wheels arches. I can't justify the expense of replacing them and having a respray :( so it will be rust treatment (already applied) and then filler and spray can work when the temperatures improve.

Other than that, love the beast, gives me between 25-30 mpg (seen 35 mpg from one tankful), whistles along quietly and is about to chug down to Austria for an end of season ski trip :D :D :D
frank_sumner
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby rover » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:25 pm

So wheres all the pics then? :D

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Valsheda » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:17 pm

Well done Frank , looks like you have alot of ticks on your to do list now :lol:

But as Rover says " wheres the pics " :D
Valsheda
Top Tourneo Owner

Postby frank_sumner » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:48 pm

OK, I get the hint.

Front, with the Angel eyes driving lamps (don't show up too well in the pic sadly).

Rear, note the forum stickers!!

I also now have 4 real Torneo wheel trims (just finished spraying and lacquering those) which I will put back on when I refit the summer tyres (on seperate wheels).
Side View

Re-covered seats + correct trim parts (not there when purchased)

Front with the Transit Teds (they have been with us since our first bus). Single passenger seat replaced the double.

Front Left and Rear Right arches (spring job, I think)

Final view inside a pristine rear (nearly had no skin left on the fingers after all the scrubbing!).

frank_sumner
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby crazyscoot » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:45 pm

crackin bus Frank :D is that carpet in the front i see :?: and is that a home fitted carpet or do ford do a carpet for it :?:
Your Bus is a credit to ya kidda :D
Negative reality inversion
crazyscoot
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Valsheda » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:54 pm

Looking well nice Frank 8) bet your pleased you got the van , have you thought about trying to get hold of some Tourneo alloys for it ????
Valsheda
Top Tourneo Owner

Postby Valsheda » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:55 pm

crazyscoot wrote:crackin bus Frank :D is that carpet in the front i see :?: and is that a home fitted carpet or do ford do a carpet for it :?:
Your Bus is a credit to ya kidda :D

Tourneo's have carpet fitted through out the van as standard :D
Valsheda
Top Tourneo Owner

Postby frank_sumner » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:21 pm

Thanks Mark. Alloys would be nice, but I have to be a little careful with the amount I spend on vehicles. Already got two sets of steel wheels!!

Just got to get around to fitting the DVD player and screens (bought for the previous bus) before we head off to Austria.
frank_sumner
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby rover » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:58 am

Very nice :D

Looks like you might just about get away with stripping the arches back and treating them..

Good luck with matching the paint if you're doing it yourself!

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frank_sumner » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:18 pm

Well, got back safely from Austria, no problems en route at all 2,500 miles but then got beaten up by a car wash in Cheltenham :oops: A little bit of damage to the front left paintwork but sorted with a spray can.

Anyway, back to the real reason for this mail. I have 4 used alloys (Ford 14") which all need a little bit of loving care. Anyone know what colour the paint should be. I have couple of cans of Halfords Aluminium paint which was to be used on my bike wheels!
frank_sumner
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Valsheda » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:33 am

Glad you had a good trip Frank, shame about the car wash mate but glad you got it sorted, regarding the wheels, there are alot of different finishes to them, if your happy to go with the paint you have then give it a go mate, try one wheel first to make sure its the finish you want :wink:
Valsheda
Top Tourneo Owner

Postby rover » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:28 am

They will want a couple of coats of Acrylic laquer after painting too, you wont see the right colour until the laquer is on.

Glad you had a good trip :D

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!