*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ex John Lewis MK5, 2.5TDi 85ps Automatic & Air Con.

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Ex John Lewis MK5, 2.5TDi 85ps Automatic & Air Con.

Postby Nadjenka » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:27 am

So here we go... :twisted: I've had this van for couple of months now, decision to keep it has been made, so it's about time to start a progress report. :D

My "new" MK5 ('cos they are worth saving :P ), ex John Lewis van, 2.5 TD, 85ps, Automatic with toys including leccy windows and air conditioning. Weirdly enough - no central locking :shock: and... oh yeah... it's GREEN :mrgreen:

As you can see, he had a hard life after retiring from John Lewis fleet :( Bruses, cuts and several bodges indicate some inconsiderate owners or maybe a blind man behind the steering wheel in the past :evil: Despite this being a MK5, it has all it's original arches, sills, steps, crossmembers etc, even the inner arches :shock: Surface rust showing, but comparing to many "younger siblings" MK6s, not bad at all me thinks :mrgreen: Luckily (yeah... I say that now... :roll: ) all of it appears to be surface scars, hopefully easy to get rid of... Image

:shock: :shock: :shock:

It has some metal left even underneath :shock: :shock: :shock:

Progress has already started, pictures and more stories to follow :D :D
1995 Mk5 150 LWB Minibus - camper-to-be - Lola's story :mrgreen:
1999 Mk5 190 LWB 2.5TDi, automatic, story has started :twisted:
Nadjenka
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Ex John Lewis MK5, 2.5TDi 85ps Automatic

Postby Nadjenka » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:50 am

Bodge after bodge was revealed when we started to take it apart...

Instead of intake grill, there was ductape covering it (ductape - MK5's best friend :roll: ).
Air intake pipe behind it was cut, screwed with 100mm long screws and covered in filler :shock: Filler in the engine bay - now that's new :?
But it didn't end there... EPIC pump was leaking (now - that one is not new, is it? :lol: ), automatic gearbox is due for some upgrade and overdrive fix, so the decision has been made to take the engine out and do it properly :D

As you all know I'm useless when it comes to mechanics, so AndyG - man of the year, came to put a bung on my wallet and stop the EPIC pump from leaking the precious diesel all over the place :evil: 8) He located the leak on this pump from the most common place - square seal. Removed the mischievous Epic pump and repairs started... Here it is, looking all innocent :twisted:

Andy unscrewed the bolts on the plastic cover and removed it

Mark the position of the sensor and remove these two bolts underneath

And - voala - who would think that such a little seal can cause so much trouble...? :roll:

Aaaaall flat and not sealy at all now... :evil:

New replacement square ring goes on :D

And Andy closes the case of leaking Epic pump, all below 10 minutes and wayyyy below £5 8) 8) 8)

Refit is reversal of removal :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

No more diesel leaks, no more trouble :!: You'd need 5 spanner skills (ref. Haynes) OR AndyGs hands to make this happen 8) Good time to change the timing belt, water pump, tentioner and - of course - set the timing 8)
Nadjenka
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:58 am

yes very common for that seal too leak, change the auto to manual and put some 100ps injectors in. :shock: :D
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby madbri » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:09 am

so will this van replace lolo? hope not after all ure hard work! but what ever you decide good luck :wink:
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madmark_50484 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:25 am

Got to love the green ones :D I used to have one myself but it was a murphy one

that van used to do well when I done removals. Anyway like the new one it looks a bit more solid than lola was he looks like a good friend for her.
Past
MK5 98 R reg Transit 190 LWB Semi hi Top
Mk5 98 S reg Transit 190 LWB High Cube
Present
Mk5 96 N Reg Transit Luton

Forum for bus enthusiasts and preservationists
www.busesuk.co.uk
madmark_50484
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:28 am

Nadjenka wrote:maybe a blind man behind the steering wheel in the past :evil:
or blind woman :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

the van doesnt look that bad at all 8) i know the dark green helpis it look better in photos but it still looks a tidy base 8) plus it will have the high spec loom for future upgrades i'd have thought :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Nadjenka » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:50 am

psv-hgv-flt wrote:yes very common for that seal too leak, change the auto to manual and put some 100ps injectors in. :shock: :D

:? :? Never gonna happen, this replaced my automatic Audi! I'll tell you what - automatic transmission slows down ageing and decreases stress and mortality... 8) Especially when doing deliveries in London :evil: Far less likely to kill the learner in front of me on the road who is only using second and third gear, AND - looking better doing that, 'cos I have less stress wrinkles to worry about Image

The automatic is staying,, so is the Epic :!: :wink:

madbri wrote:so will this van replace lolo? hope not after all ure hard work! but what ever you decide good luck :wink:

Nooooo :!: :shock: To be honest, I probably would never look other way when it comes to vans, but Lola was giving me such a grief back then, she broke down when we were busiest with deliveries and I sinned... :oops: I looked at another vans and found this one to be a bargain of the year. But it's not replacing Lola, Lola was supposed to be a camper, so she will :wink: This one will take her workload :D
Nadjenka
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Nadjenka » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:02 am

madmark_50484 wrote:Anyway like the new one it looks a bit more solid than lola was he looks like a good friend for her.

Thanks, it is much more solid, but it also has soooo much more scars on the bodywork... :shock: Main thing was - he doesn't need any welding underneath 8) 8) I hear Luke shouting "Waxoiiiiiiil" from Rotherham... :mrgreen: That's what we're going to do at some point :wink:

Luke wrote:or blind woman :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

the van doesnt look that bad at all 8) i know the dark green helpis it look better in photos but it still looks a tidy base 8) plus it will have the high spec loom for future upgrades i'd have thought :D

Oh it's unbelievable how BOTH of my vans photograph better that they look in reality :!: Don't get fooled, there really isn't a panel on that van that wouldn't have a dink or more serious builder scar. :roll: It's not plylined from the inside, so you can imagine... :( But after Lola, who looked GREAT on purchase, I thought - it's so much better to see what you'll be up against! Seller didn't attempt to hide anything. Still don't know if it was a good buy or a nightmare, the time will tell I suppose :lol: :lol:

Yes - high spec loom helps - he will receive some more toys later on 8) , but this is going to be very long progress... :lol: :lol:
Nadjenka
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MurrayXmas » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:35 am

You are a glutton for punishment :lol: :lol: Good luck!

WHEN I NOD YOU HIT IT!!

'96 190 lwb banana '99 Lwb Luton Banana
MurrayXmas
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmark » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:45 am

i am a big fan of auto,s you just cant beat them :wink:
the epic is good if you get a good one :wink:

i had a lwb auto with ac but the box started to play up ,this wasnt a problem till i looked undernieth the van and wow it was rusting like nothing i had ever seen so it was sold very quickly ,shame as it was a rare van with all the options! :(
1999 v reg :(
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby AlanN » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:47 am

Hmmmm! Aircon :lol:
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby matthew2riches » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:49 am

I can see this is going to be a good one. Nad - you've had the practise with Lola so lets see another gooden! :D
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Ex John Lewis MK5, 2.5TDi 85ps Automatic & Air Con.

Postby AndyG » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:41 pm

The worst part of that particular repair of the EPIC pump has to be doing the cam belt :!: :lol: as the part that needed access was on the engine side :evil:

So anyone that can change their cambelt on one of these can certainly deal with a silly little pump leak :wink:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby AndyG » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:42 pm

MurrayXmas wrote:You are a glutton for punishment :lol: :lol: Good luck!
I think so too :!: :lol: :lol:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Re: Ex John Lewis MK5, 2.5TDi 85ps Automatic & Air Con.

Postby MattBlackMinibus » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Nice wagon Nada.
Auto Turbo :twisted:
Lucky Cow 8)
Starting All Over Again
MattBlackMinibus
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!