*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My latest project mk2 CI Travelhome LWB

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

My latest project mk2 CI Travelhome LWB

Postby davev6newman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:37 pm

I been looking for 3.0 V6 to put in my camper for ages and saw this one on ebay and bought it over the phone for £900! Now i wasnt sure if that was a good idea when i went to Wiltshire to fetch it!

Anyhow, i said i would have it if the engine was a good as he said it was, and i must admit it sounded real good. He told me it had a slight leak on the master cylinder before i came, but when i got there it was leaking quite bad and the brakes were nearly on the floor, but it did pull up. So i set off down the M4 expecting all sort of trouble, but it got me home no trouble, except for brake fluid stops!
It drove lovely and the v6 pulled like a train. When i got to Reading some putty must have fallen out of the manifold as it started to blow quite bad, but still pulled ok.

When i got it home i checked the seals on the reservoir and it came off in my hands!!! i was bloody lucky to get it home at all. So im looking for some new seals now.

Condition wise, its a bit rough and needs a fair amount of work to get it up to scratch. the doors are scabby at the bottom and the leading edge of the bonnet is shot and its generally been negleted although its had welding done in all the usual places for the mot.

The interior in my opinion had it, and really only good for stripping and starting again. The previous owner slapped on loads of blue emulsion as you can see, with his eyes shut i think! he told me the 3 way fridge didnt work so he cut the wardrobe door in half and stuck and old 240 fridge in there, which fell out on the first corner i went round!!

The hot water boiler is missing, but it still has gas hob and oven and pumped water.
the dinette should of had a double seating area and and a single, but has been modified to fit an old chest of draws in.
The toilet and shower is the only un-molested area in the van
ive given the cab a good clean and it dont look too bad

I have been given a caravan, so i am going to strip the interior and fit the caravan interior
So next job is the strip out, ill post photos, but i expect to find the worst judging by the damp smell it has.
[Image
Last edited by davev6newman on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: I found me a Mk2 3.0 V6 at last for engine swap

Postby chrisvmax » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:56 pm

Is that chest of drawers really held in place with a bungee??? :shock:

Good luck for your MOT

Cheers,
Chris
chrisvmax
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gromit74 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Once you've got the engine out I've got a few chickens you can have!
gromit74
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby davev6newman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:57 pm

At least the chest of drawers we held in place, unlike the fridge. When it fell over the smell nearly choked me!

I think the chickens would feel right at home. lol :lol:

I found some parking for it now, so im well pleased, and he dont mind me doing any work on it. Watch this space, i have some ideas rattling around that could bring this old van back up to scratch
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Gunslinger » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:58 pm

The images are all dead .... so i can't see, but from what i read initially you basically bought this for the engine ? right ?

Does it have a rear anti-roll bar setup and power steering ?
Gunslinger
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: My latest project mk2 CI Travelhome LWB

Postby davev6newman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Images are reposted, serves me right for filing my photos on photobucket!
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

My latest project mk2 CI Travelhome update

Postby davev6newman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:39 pm

O - MY - GOD! What was i thinking off in thinking i could quickly refurbish the interior of this van.

It is like a sponge! I started in good spirits in removing the old seats and wardrobe, but when the wall lining started to tear iwas confronted with some horrors.

Water has been leaking in through a badly repaired patch on the ceiling and running down the walls, the corner stud is rotten and the window frame is rotten. The plywood just peeled off with a scraper.
I done a quick repair on the roof to stop the ingress but i need to remove the window to replace the frame.

Ive been thinking of how to bond the plywood back on after i done the repairs, as it was originally a sandwich construction so it has no wooden noggins to attach it to and contact adhesive doesnt give any structural strenght back into the wall, even if i could get a good bond on the uneven polstyrene.

What i am thinking of is to cut sections of the the poly away and no-nail wooden noggins to the outer wall and glue and staple the ply to that.
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby madmark » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:15 pm

dave most travelhomes are like this :( :(
people cover them up but most have damp!
my twin wheel advantura was rotton and i am going back at least 15 years :roll:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madbri » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:19 pm

dave i used to work 4 a mudular building company who made portacabins and the best stuff on the market 4 want u need to stick ure wood on in my opion is sticks lick sh*t its a1 :wink:
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby davev6newman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Ive seen that somewhere, ill give it a try, cheers
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby madbri » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 am

davev6newman wrote:Ive seen that somewhere, ill give it a try, cheers

jewsons do it or the dreeded flee bay :wink: tip of the day soak in hot water for 5 mins b4 useing makes a world of difrence :wink:
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madbri » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 am

dave of subject i no :lol: did u ever get ure electric ignigtion sorted? if ure going to transitmania id could prop collect the set up from that place 4 u that i mentioned and bring it 4 ya :wink:
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: My latest project mk2 CI Travelhome *UPDATE*

Postby davev6newman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:23 pm

just when i thought things could get no worse, i decided to look in the luton. Having pulled the carpet trim off i found more horrors! The ply just peeled away and the frame was just mush, it had no structure to it at all and you could squeeze it like compost. The bunk base was no better, i started to dig at the timber and i found loads of larvae living in it!

sorry about the poor quality but the white blob is one of the larvae
The headlining for the luton was just as wet as everything else

The reason for all this rot in the luton is the rubber seals around the 2 front windows, the seals are not 1 piece and have a join in them, and some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to have the join at the bottom where the water pools! So over the years the rubber shrinks and no amount of silicone is going to stop that, as silicone shrinks after a time in the open. So the obvious answer is to turn the seal arounds.
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:47 pm

oooooo :shock:

thats a lot of mess, might as well just strip it all back to the shell and start again, at least that way you wont feel like your constantly chasing your tail.... just bite the bullet and go straight to the worst case scenario, then everything you do will not only be, but will look like an improvement, there is nothing worse than working like a dog, only to move on to the next area to be presented with more surprises, get all the surprises out of the way in one go !
Gunslinger
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby davev6newman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:32 pm

O course you are right, and if i was going to keep the camper i would do that. But i bought this initially for the engine and i was going to put a pinto back in and sell it on. But looking at the condition and knowing there would be work for the mot which was due i had a feeling i was on to a loser.
So i wanted to revamp the interior and tidy up the exterior and recoup my money and get the engine for free. This was the plan before i started to rip it out and find the rot, but im not going to give up, but im only doing the bits i need too and on a budget. I will of course cure the leaks and replace the rotten bits so the next owner wont have any damp issues.
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!