*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My latest project mk2 CI Travelhome LWB

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: My latest project mk2 CI Travelhome LWB

Postby davev6newman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks for that. Its only now that i can sit back and really appreciate this van, and i got to say that i love it, something that i never thought i would as i never really thought that it would turn out this good.
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby davev6newman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Just the last finishing touches to the interior with curtains over the luton bunk, thanks to the good lady.

A little tip she has if you want to make curtains for your van, Buy ready made ones from Ikea as they are extra long and you get far more material and better value. You then cut them down to suit. I had enough material to do lounge curtains and curtain across the cab plus pelmets for £20.00.
I had to buy another pack for the luton ones, but still cheap for 20 quid.

The pole was an extendable shower curtain pole, just pull out and twist and its locked in place
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AlanN » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Wow, that looks comfortable living 8)
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby davev6newman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:27 am

Bugger, i will be sure sad to see one go. Wish i could keep both and the Jennings but im sure my neighbours dont share the same view. Lol
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby davev6newman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:15 pm

davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Skipi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks for this incredible post.
I'm currently replacing both spring hangers and the front cross member which is a painful job.
Seeing the great job that you've done has given me an extra boost to get her back on the road.

Cheers and happy camping! :D
Mk2 Transit Camper - Currently in restoration mode.
Skipi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bigmastif » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:51 pm

id tell the neghbours to go f*** em selfs, could be worse could be piles of scrap
laying outside your gaff instead of tidy vans like that 8)
bigmastif
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby davev6newman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:29 pm

So im off in both vans on sat for a week away in the sun, (well i hope it shines) Jobs never seem to stop tho.

I had a long weekend away in the Ci, Ive called him Reggie, and the white one Ronnie, lol and noticed that theres no ventilation in the gally as the window doesnt open so ive bought myself a skylight.

Its not an easy decision to cut a hole in the roof especially as i spend a very long time getting the roof not to leak, but nothing gained......

I used a grinder to cut the roof piece out and a small saw to cut the ply lining. I bought some mastic on a roll and doubled it up as the roof is a bit wavy.

Seems to have done the trick and no leaks so far, so thats good, and having somewhere for the heat to go whilst cooking is a big bonus.
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby davev6newman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:29 pm

bigmastif wrote:id tell the neghbours to go f*** em selfs, could be worse could be piles of scrap
laying outside your gaff instead of tidy vans like that 8)

Its not the fact that they dont like them, its just im taking up all the car parking spaces. ive already got a car, work van and 2 campers, so the second camper would be the tipping point i think :lol:

Ive parked the white one it on my daughters drive for now.
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby davev6newman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Skipi wrote:Thanks for this incredible post.
I'm currently replacing both spring hangers and the front cross member which is a painful job.
Seeing the great job that you've done has given me an extra boost to get her back on the road.

Cheers and happy camping! :D

Cheers Skipi, you must have sat there for quite some time reading through all them pages.
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby davev6newman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Well.........My first proper outing and a 700 mile trip to Wales and back proved to be a little fraught but it made it, and a great time was had.

I knew the middle 2 into 1 box was suspect, and had just managed to buy one before i went away but no time to fit it, so i took it with me.

So half way there its starting to blow and really vibrate, and by the time we got there the end had blown out of the box and the pipes were just rattling around inside the muffler, it was sooo loud!!

The next day i went down to the kwik fit and they didnt want to know as they wouldnt fit customers own parts nor would a.t.s. So after a few phone calls i manage to find a garage that could fit in the van and he cobbled up the silencer to my original system. Sorted!

Trouble was it was still vibrating really bad and at between 35 and 55 it was shaking my fillings out!

Anyhow i left it like that and enjoyed the rest of the holiday and the sun.

When i got home i put it up on stands and run it up and the Uj was fooked at the diff end.

Ive now sorted that and i also noticed a knocking noise from the O/S rear wheel, this turned out to be the wheel bearing loose, so i tightened that up and all seems ok now.

My white van on the other hand never missed a beat for the 700 miles.
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby peteh » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi Dave, that is a mind blowing restoration you have done there, looking through these 22 pages has really opened my eyes as to what can be done with these campers. I own a 1980 CI Travelhome lwb 2.5DI and seeing what you had to replace and make good is scaring me but i really want to get the old girl sorted. Your camper has made me see what i can try and achieve with mine, myself and my wife are in love with that interior its beautiful, You deserve some real praise and quite probably medals for what you have done, im gobsmacked with your work and the finished article, Superb, fantastic, im jealous!! :wink: 8)
peteh

Postby peteh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:25 am

Hi Dave, awesome restoration mate, i have the rot issues in my CI, how did you attach the wooden frame pieces to the body? Is it very difficult to replace the frames? Cheers Pete
peteh

Postby davev6newman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi Pete, thanks for the comments, im blushing :lol:

Where do i start with the wooded frame issues :?

The first major hurdle is removing the alu trim that runs over the top of the van and down the sides.

If your lucky you will get half of the screws out but half of them will be rusted through and have no screw head. what you need to do is drill out next to the screw and prize the trim off, being careful not to bend it too much.

Once you have the trim off, you need to remove the rubber trim that sit under it. This will be stapled in place, so remove carefully.

If your van was like mine then the timber will be sodden and soggy and the roof will likely detach itself from the side.

So make sure you have a prop ready to take the weight of the roof.

Whats left of the wood will probably just pull out as its only bonded in there in the first place, if not then prise it out inch by inch.

I then glued the new battens in with Stick Like Sh*t adhesive and held them in place with a couple short screws screwed in from the outside untill the adhesive cured. The screws can be removed and filled for painting.

Once you have the timbers in place you can screw through the roof section into your new batten, remember to use plenty of adhesive/sealer.

The rubber you removed will need cleaning up, i used a wire brush on a battery drill and also the alu trim will need the same treatment.
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby davev6newman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:11 pm

After a holidays away in the van, i really missed not having an awning on the van, so decided to splash out on a new Fiamma wind out one. Not cheap but seeing what second hand ones were fetching, paying an extra £60.00 for a new one seems a good deal.

I also bought myself a period trailer for all the tables and chairs and water carriers etc that you need for family holidays.

davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!