*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My Mk7 140ps Crew Cab conversion Jumbo

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: My Mk7 140ps Crew Cab conversion Jumbo

Postby furnitureman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 pm

wexican wrote:Nice job- What or how did you mount the step, I'm thinking of getting one but dont know how to fit it!

The step was relativly easy to mount just needed two short lengths of angle to bolt the back of the step frame to one of the chasis members and bolted the front straight into the sill, i have replaced this fold down step with a cassette type as the fold out one was too low so the step was too close to the floor the new cassette type is almost equal distance from the floor to step in the van, i can take some pictures of the new step and how i fitted it and post them in the morning.
MK7 2006, 2.4 tdci, 140ps + TUNIT box = 165ps jumbo rwd known as "Big Blue" to the kids.
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby furnitureman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:40 pm

paulrichardson wrote:"Big Blue" looks really great, love the colour and the work you've done.

Also noticed the side window behind the driver has sliding openers at the top, is this a Ford window or from someone else?

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul i had the windows fitted by a fitter up north but they are available from most van window fitters.
MK7 2006, 2.4 tdci, 140ps + TUNIT box = 165ps jumbo rwd known as "Big Blue" to the kids.
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Azer van man » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 pm

furnitureman wrote:
Azer van man wrote:Nice job done there mate :wink:
Very smart,don't suppose you could make me a Fold up bed..... :wink: :lol:

Being a cabinet maker and upholsterer amongst other things i doubt it would pose too much of a problem :D

See u about 8am tomorrow then.... :lol: :lol:
I'll see if I can get some pics of it... :wink:
Choose life, Choose a Transit, Italian Job Done ,Its the Irish in me.....I only listen to Above and Beyond
Now with A 5 pot Beast.......I started off with nothing and I still got most of it left...!!
Azer van man
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby wexican » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:09 pm

furnitureman wrote:
wexican wrote:Nice job- What or how did you mount the step, I'm thinking of getting one but dont know how to fit it!

The step was relativly easy to mount just needed two short lengths of angle to bolt the back of the step frame to one of the chasis members and bolted the front straight into the sill, i have replaced this fold down step with a cassette type as the fold out one was too low so the step was too close to the floor the new cassette type is almost equal distance from the floor to step in the van, i can take some pictures of the new step and how i fitted it and post them in the morning.

Thanks- I'm actually trying to decide between the folding and sliding step, my main consideration is that the sliding types are still too high for older passengers compared to the lower height of the bottom step on the folding ones. I'm trying to have the step when working, at about 1/2 way between ground and van/bus step, if that makes sense.

What do you think in that situation??? Thanks again, good to hear from someone who has experience with both types!
wexican
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby furnitureman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Azer van man wrote:
furnitureman wrote:
Azer van man wrote:Nice job done there mate :wink:
Very smart,don't suppose you could make me a Fold up bed..... :wink: :lol:

Being a cabinet maker and upholsterer amongst other things i doubt it would pose too much of a problem :D

See u about 8am tomorrow then.... :lol: :lol:
I'll see if I can get some pics of it... :wink:

Get me some pics and il see what i can do.
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby furnitureman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:03 am

wexican wrote:
furnitureman wrote:

Thanks- I'm actually trying to decide between the folding and sliding step, my main consideration is that the sliding types are still too high for older passengers compared to the lower height of the bottom step on the folding ones. I'm trying to have the step when working, at about 1/2 way between ground and van/bus step, if that makes sense.

What do you think in that situation??? Thanks again, good to hear from someone who has experience with both types!

If yours is rwd with the higher floor then the fold down single will be too low about 8" of the ground and something like 14" to the step in the van (just finished my 2nd glass of port so dimensions may be out) with the slide out step it was almost dead in the middle you could look into the two step fold out omni step do, check out there web site they will give the dimensions on there i also found that the slide out was much more solid in use i take the mother in law with us a lot and shes pushing the scales on the heavy side and the new step has gone down well as its only the van that moves now when she steps on it not the step then the van :shock: :lol: :lol:
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wexican » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:44 am

[/quote]
If yours is rwd with the higher floor then the fold down single will be too low about 8" of the ground and something like 14" to the step in the van (just finished my 2nd glass of port so dimensions may be out) with the slide out step it was almost dead in the middle you could look into the two step fold out omni step do, check out there web site they will give the dimensions on there i also found that the slide out was much more solid in use i take the mother in law with us a lot and shes pushing the scales on the heavy side and the new step has gone down well as its only the van that moves now when she steps on it not the step then the van :shock: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Port on a Friday night, Nice.........
Mine is a twin rear rwd and is high, so I had a look at the omnistep site and have fairly decided on the bigger one of the fold down step models because of that.
But I do take some robust people on board, hope it doesnt break! I will be using yards of angle iron for attaching it!
wexican
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Guy88 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:33 am

i had the same step on my RAC van :wink:
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby G40GES » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:32 pm

cracking job boss... im proper :mrgreen: over big blue!
Gadge in the shed... STILLfreezing me bits off...
G40GES
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby furnitureman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks for all the replies its good to know others like what i have done with big blue my kids are always in the back playing give them a tree house or climbing frame and all they want to do is play in the van, but i dont think its down to what i have done they used to be the same with my old ldv luton kids just like playing in vans then again so do i keeps me out the pub.
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby G40GES » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:39 pm

LOL... it's true my boys 4+5 love playing in my bus... trouble is when i get back into it EVERYTHINGS everywere it shouldnt! :roll:

least it keeps em busy for a bit :D
Gadge in the shed... STILLfreezing me bits off...
G40GES
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Azer van man » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:16 pm

http://www.ilston.net/pdfs/Van%20Overni ... leeper.pdf
That's what I'm after :wink:
If you go on Hatchers website and go into downloads there's a few more pics i think..
Choose life, Choose a Transit, Italian Job Done ,Its the Irish in me.....I only listen to Above and Beyond
Now with A 5 pot Beast.......I started off with nothing and I still got most of it left...!!
Azer van man
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby wexican » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Guy88 wrote:i had the same step on my RAC van :wink:

Is it strong??
wexican
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby furnitureman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Azer van man wrote:http://www.ilston.net/pdfs/Van%20Overnight%20Sleeper.pdf
That's what I'm after :wink:
If you go on Hatchers website and go into downloads there's a few more pics i think..

Looks simple enough hardest part would be the enclosed curtain but thats not that difficult to sort and either altering the origional bulkhead or getting a low one, if you dont use the passenger seat loosing it would give you more room and alow for other things to make life on the road more comefortable, i found swaping the double for a single passenger seat gave more room and allows me to get from the drivers seat ito the back.
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cormie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:19 am

Hey folks, saw this and was looking to do something kinda similar, would really appreciate any feedback on my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=188601
cormie
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!