*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Wanted power steering box

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Wanted power steering box

Postby emlclcy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:14 pm

I want to put power steering on my A series and a mk1 or 2 steering box can be adapted
Cheers
Carl
emlclcy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Wanted power steering box

Postby dumper » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:06 pm

I think if you could find one a mk 3 transit one would be better option but are very rare I’ve never seen a mk 1 or 2 with power steering.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Adam mk1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:16 pm

Correct it would have to be a mk3 power steering box fitted to some ambulances & minibuses, but only
the twin wheel variant
And not all have it
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:12 pm

power steering was available on any mk3 if you paid the option a lot fit electric power steering on mk 1 or two
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:44 pm

Neil wrote:power steering was available on any mk3 if you paid the option a lot fit electric power steering on mk 1 or two

Well quite - however only the LWB had a steering box, and the vast majority of those were twin wheel (only the 100L was single wheel, and I haven't seen/heard of one of them with a PAS box - although I'm quite sure Ford would have fitted one if you stumped up the cash!)
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby conrod » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:52 pm

MinorMatt wrote:
Neil wrote:power steering was available on any mk3 if you paid the option a lot fit electric power steering on mk 1 or two

Well quite - however only the LWB had a steering box, and the vast majority of those were twin wheel (only the 100L was single wheel, and I haven't seen/heard of one of them with a PAS box - although I'm quite sure Ford would have fitted one if you stumped up the cash!)

Do I understand correctly that the SWB Mk3 had independent front suspension with a steering rack, and the LWB Mk3 had a beam front axle with a steering box, same as the Mk1/Mk2? But the power steering was only available as an option, and very that common on these? (hence the big prices I have paid for my steering boxes! )

Here is a pic of a Mk3 steering box which I fitted into my Mk1 SWB. You need the mounting plate, as well as the drop arm from the mk3.

IMG_4240.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Adam mk1 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:02 pm

Yes correct conrod as fitted to mk3 with a steering box you could option the power steering but most that did opt for this were ambulances or minibus, the only single wheel van was the 100L & i dought it was an option on 100L, do probably only twin wheel variants (steering box) type vans, emlclcy wantsca box to fit on an A series
Think you might have to keep an eye out on ebay & buy an ambulance or minibus with this option but very few had it so your be looking a long time
Don't waste your time looking at swb because there racks
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:26 am

MinorMatt wrote:

thats right matt ford will build it how you wanted if you stumped up the cash,, and they still will today ,,, svo shop was not just for emergency vehicles but for anyone with the dosh, my mk2 even had a radio telephone on delivery
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Adam mk1 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:29 am

Ok so what are we going to find left today, most probably am ambulance with its fibre glass body or a minibus those in that order are most likely survived if your lucky & not all of those will have power steering box, those we're the most common to have it fitted
So what are the survival rates of a 1986 onwards van that not all had it fitted very few
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:05 am

Adam, I think the point was - If you are looking, look at every LWB you can see. How annoyed would you be if you walked past a ratty old lwb van which was had it (albeit a very low probability) to look at a minibus that didn't...
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby caldwelld » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:30 am

Hi, see topic ford transit mk1 1977 v4 powersteering on 17th february 2019. Fit an electric powersteering unit from a corsa B or C. works a treat and sensitivity can be adjusted by means of a small knob fitted on the dash. WE fitted the unit in the engine compartment and looks as if it was part of the original vehicle.Will try and send a photo of it.
caldwelld
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby conrod » Wed May 12, 2021 11:02 am

there is a NOS Mk3 PS box on Fleabay for (cough cough) only £675, plus 100 core charge. No drop arm though :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303992426388?
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby camper extraudinair » Wed May 19, 2021 1:39 pm

57.jpg
64.jpg
I fitted a power steering box from an American dodge left hand drive, It was a plymouth valarie, I fitted the steering columb as well, It was a
gamble if it would work on a right hand drive van, I used the engine driven power steering pump but it was so powerful it had no feeling to it,
it felt as though it was not connected to anything, so i fitted a citroen saxso, electric hydraulic unit which limited the power & gave it more
feel, here is a few pics of the instalation using the drop arm that came with it, by the way i fitted it to my mk 1 Transit, I had to fit the diesel
front or cut a hole to clear the steering box as it would stick out of the front panel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camper extraudinair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby camper extraudinair » Wed May 19, 2021 1:56 pm

171.jpg
ce (542).jpg
70.jpg
Here is a couple of more pics of the convertion using a left hand drive steering box & columb.
camper extraudinair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby conrod » Thu May 20, 2021 9:33 pm

Interesting conversion! Even the Mk3 PS box I fitted to my Mk1 gets very close to the flat front grille, just sneaks in though! I have found that the steering is very pointy and does not have much feel when you fit power steering to these vans. A much thicker castor wedge around 5°between the axle and leaf springs helps a lot I found ;)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 1 & 2