*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK 2 troubles

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: MK 2 troubles

Postby dumper » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:06 pm

You should have fuel in the top of the pump .what’s the oil level like I’ve had one with a pin prick in the diaphragm and let diesel into the oil and overfill the engine what’s the oil level like to much oil can give problems. I had a similar problem to yours on a A series with 4 cylinder York it had badly worn pistons and the crankcase pressure blowing oil passed the rings as well as pushing oil down the breather pipe into the inlet manifold it was so bad it blow oil out of the dipstick as well.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby shawn67 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:05 pm

dumper wrote:You should have fuel in the top of the pump .what’s the oil level like I’ve had one with a pin prick in the diaphragm and let diesel into the oil and overfill the engine what’s the oil level like to much oil can give problems. I had a similar problem to yours on a A series with 4 cylinder York it had badly worn pistons and the crankcase pressure blowing oil passed the rings as well as pushing oil down the breather pipe into the inlet manifold it was so bad it blow oil out of the dipstick as well.

I would have thought there would have been fuel in there too....anyway Oil levels are fine....decided to do a filter and oil change today, don't think its an oil problem to be honest....I'm gonna check the exhaust system this week, remove the manifold and replace the gaskets...not to sure it will change anything but it's worth a try....

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
shawn67
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby DougT » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:40 pm

A slightly left field suggestion. What about the fuel tank breather ? Might be worth just checking or waiting till engine stops and then undo the tank filler to see if there is a suck of air into the tank.

Engine would be able to restart after a bit as it would never be a total seal and air would bleed in.

I think it is unlikely but just worth a check. I have had it on a "CF" (wash my mouth out !) when the tank actually collapsed due to the vacuum when the breather got blocked.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby doggypaddle » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:29 pm

Did you clean the gauze under the rubber seal for the glass bowl too?
mine always filled up with what can be best described as snot.
Also check the non return valve is working, another long shot, I once had injectors replaced by a garage and they omitted the heatshields.
the nozzles overheat and the needles stick, then the compression can push air back up the injector line and the engine dies.
once cool the needles free and it all works again........
doggypaddle
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby shawn67 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:30 am

I decided to take it to a mechanic...and he has just gotten back to me saying it's it a problem with the injectors overheating...so for a total of €350 he will sort it out for me.

Thanks for all the help fingers crossed my problem will be solved..

shawn67
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby doggypaddle » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:46 pm

shawn67 wrote:I decided to take it to a mechanic...and he has just gotten back to me saying it's it a problem with the injectors overheating...so for a total of €350 he will sort it out for me.

Thanks for all the help fingers crossed my problem will be solved..

New injector nozzles and most importantly new heatshields then :D
I have come across this only two or 3 times, once on a 2.2BMC once on a toyota landcruiser and for the first time on my old york.....
who would think a little stainless washer would make so much difference :lol:
doggypaddle
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2