*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk2 lhd to rhd conversion.

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

mk2 lhd to rhd conversion.

Postby mk2 transit crew » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:26 am

hi All,

one of the plans for my transit mk2 is to convert to rhd.

so far i have established that i need and i have bought:
new steering column
steering box
steering plate that attaches to chassis and inner wing
peddle box and accelerator.

things i still need presumably are clutch cable? (still running 4 speed and plan is to keep it)

im not sure if a new wiper mechanism is required or if i just reposition the existing one?

thankyou
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: mk2 lhd to rhd conversion.

Postby Luke » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:14 pm

i converted my mk1 to rhd - the mk2 looks easier as the metal part of the dash is the same for both lhd and rhd

i havent done my wipers yet - they are bearable the wrong way but they are on the list - not sure about the mk2 but the mk1 i'll need to redrill the panel

i think also the gearsticks are different but you could modify yours i think to be closer to the driver
Luke
Site Admin

Postby mk2 transit crew » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:38 pm

Thanks Luke, the first thing i found on eBay was a gearstick and it was only a tenner so i bought it. it came off a rhd so i should already have this covered also. is yours road legal? i thought they had to work the correct way to get through an mot?

appears the metal part of the dash isn't quite symmetrical one side to the other as there is a recessed part of the dash next to the air vents and it isn't the same left to right but its only a minor detail. might be tempted to cut those parts out and swap it round too.
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Adam mk1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:49 pm

Ive got a RHD wiper motor complete £40,plus post and packaging 07532890909 adam
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:50 pm

mk2 transit crew wrote:appears the metal part of the dash isn't quite symmetrical one side to the other as there is a recessed part of the dash next to the air vents and it isn't the same left to right but its only a minor detail. might be tempted to cut those parts out and swap it round too.
yeah but if you look at a rhd and a lhd the metal is the same - ive not done the conversion on a mk2 but ive looked into it - as far as i'm aware you won't need to do any cutting

mk2 transit crew wrote:is yours road legal? i thought they had to work the correct way to get through an mot?
yeah mines mot'd, as far as i know they dont have to be converted, cars like peugeot 206 only have lhd type wipers so long as it clears the area which it does i can't see an issue with the mot - it is something i'd like to get done tho.
Luke
Site Admin

Postby mk2 transit crew » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:08 am

i wasn't aware of the dash being the same. i thought seeing as everything else was specific to left and right the metal part of the dash was as well!!! that's one less job then!!

that's handy to know regards the wipers but im pretty determined to do it once, and do it right!! it looks all pretty easy to do especially when its a full strip out job anyway that's being done.
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby LANCETHEGAS » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:11 pm

I’ve just done the conversion on my mk2, yes you will need steering box, but make sure it’s from a mk2 as the column length is different and the mk2 box is held to the body with M10 bolts whereas the mk1 box uses M12, it will still fit but expect to drill out the mounting holes. I bought a used wiper motor/linkage assembly but you will only need the mounting bracket and flip over the existing linkage. Obviously, pedal box, accelerator pedal with cable bracket that fits in the engine bay on bulkhead, dash is straight forward enough as the speedo binnacle will just swap to the other side although trying to find the plastic trims either side of the binnacle is very difficult, these are handed so yours will not fit. I moved the handbrake over to the right side (including the bracketry underneath), gearstick is cranked over for red. Also I swapped the mirror mounts, lhd vans have the left side mirror mounted on the wing with the right side mirror mounted on the door, you will need to swap them over as you won’t be able to see the left mirror from the right. I found the biggest job was modifying the loom behind the dashboard, pain in the arse but doable.

Any parts you need I would recommend Ralph who does use this forum..

Good luck
Lance
LANCETHEGAS

Postby LANCETHEGAS » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:23 pm

Forgot to mention, your clutch cable should be ok if you swap the clutch fork to the right hand side of the bell housing, you may need a speedo cable, mine was way to long. If you wanted to be really fussy the bonnet catch should be on the right on rhd vans ( I didn’t bother), handbrake outer cables will need swapping over too, oh and you’ll need the mounting bracket for the servo.

Hope this helps
Lance
LANCETHEGAS

Postby Neil » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:15 am

Adam mk1 wrote:Ive got a RHD wiper motor complete £40,plus post and packaging 07532890909 adam

is that brand new ,, or gold plated
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Adam mk1 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:28 pm

Go and bore someone else Neil
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Adam mk1 wrote:Go and bore someone else Neil

was that boring adam ? why ? i have wiper motors £20 plus pp
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mk2 transit crew » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:06 am

Hi All,

thank you, pretty much what i thought but hadn't realised the brake servo needed a bracket so will start looking for that.

i have just managed to pick up a low milage banana engine which come with a 5 speed box. wasn't originally planning to swap the gearbox but as i have it i may as well do this also.

hopefully start some welding tomorrow on the rear wheel arches. first easy job. i hope!!! :D :D :D :D
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby J P A » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:47 pm

Does anyone know if LHD & RHD servo are the same , like length of the rod that connects to the pedal ?
J P A
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby DougT » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:12 pm

For the mk1, the parts list indicates LHD and RHD versions of the support bracket. But the only differences identified for the servo itself are based on date of production (71-73, or 74 onward) and whether the servo is for discs or drums.

I think this would indicate that you should be OK with the LHD servo on the RHD but it is not guaranteed.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby oldskooler » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:41 am

J P A wrote:Does anyone know if LHD & RHD servo are the same , like length of the rod that connects to the pedal ?

the rod is longer on the lhd servo...i cut the rod and shorthened it to the correct length using a sleeve welded on....i used a scrap rhd servo to determine the length the rod should be...
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2