*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Windscreen rubber seal - ebay offers quality question

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Windscreen rubber seal - ebay offers quality question

Postby michal.konieczny » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:14 pm

Hi,

I need new rubber. I can see there are two offers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172609230077
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363881039260

The first one is from UK, and advertised as "Top quality rubber seal made in Great Britain".
The second one is from Turkey, half the price, origin unknown.

The one from UK is sold already to 95 users, and probably some part of that group reads this forum? Could you please advise about quality, fit, etc?
Any experience with the Turkish one?
michal.konieczny
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Windscreen rubber seal - ebay offers quality question

Postby Neil » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:13 pm

uk rubber
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby michal.konieczny » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:51 pm

Terse suggestion, nevertheless, thank you, that's also my uneducated guess. Any more verbose opinions?
michal.konieczny
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Ralph.9 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:03 am

I stock the MK1 windscreen seal with the chrome insert, I own the tooling & they are made in UK £75 inc the chrome insert & postage. Both the Ebay ones are listed as for MK1 & MK2 when they are different seals.
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:44 am

michal.konieczny wrote:Terse suggestion, nevertheless, thank you, that's also my uneducated guess. Any more verbose opinions?

well theres not a lot to say about a screen rubber, maybe the uk guy buys the turkish rubbers and adds £30 ? or just buy both and return the one you dont like :idea: is it for a mk 1 or a mk 2 ?
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby michal.konieczny » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:33 pm

It is for Mk1. Later Mk2 seals have "ears" in upper corners, are there any other differences?

Ralph, I'd prefer the seal without chrome insert (as I understand, you don't have one?), as my car came with one without insert. But chrome insert is a nice visual touch, so I'm seriously considering it. I'm quite relaxed about 100% original, my car already is somewhat modified, albeit visually correct. Do you have any idea about cost of shipment to Poland?

Neil wrote:well theres not a lot to say about a screen rubber

Well, some aftermarket parts are of such mediocre quality, that early warning is very welcome in such situation. Nobody here with this ebay seal with a comment?
michal.konieczny
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Ralph.9 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:26 am

I do stock solid MK1 windscreen seals but you get a better seal with the insert as the insert tightens it up when its fitted. I can get a price to post to you.
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:15 pm

michal.konieczny wrote:It is for Mk1. Later Mk2 seals have "ears" in upper corners, are there any other differences?

Ralph, I'd prefer the seal without chrome insert (as I understand, you don't have one?), as my car came with one without insert. But chrome insert is a nice visual touch, so I'm seriously considering it. I'm quite relaxed about 100% original, my car already is somewhat modified, albeit visually correct. Do you have any idea about cost of shipment to Poland?

Neil wrote:well theres not a lot to say about a screen rubber

Well, some aftermarket parts are of such mediocre quality, that early warning is very welcome in such situation. Nobody here with this ebay seal with a comment?

most aftermarket parts are poor quality thats just the way things are today , but like ralph says the insert gives a better seal
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 1 & 2