*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


I HAVE A VERY NOISEY TRANSIT MK 2

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

I HAVE A VERY NOISEY TRANSIT MK 2

Postby baycrew » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:17 pm

My Tranny is really noisey..Not big ends...just pure deisel noise...its ear bending at 65 miles an hour on motorway
Can anybody help me...I have set the tappets on my mark 2 1979 Travelhome (motorhome) transit.

It has a 2.5.litre DI engine..
It looks like it has never had any sound proofing under the bonnet...has anybody else had this noise fault

is there a cure???...I have added carpets inside the cab but it makes no diference...

I live in Morecambe..can i get hold of sound proofing around here??
User avatar
baycrew
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: I HAVE A VERY NOISEY TRANSIT MK 2

Postby madmark » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:03 pm

:? because the van wasant a factory fitted diesel it will be noisey ,unfortunatly they are allways like this :(
you could try some sort of sound proof under the bonet it might help a bit! :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 15467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:29 am

Re: I HAVE A VERY NOISEY TRANSIT MK 2

Postby ligule » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:44 pm

Hello,
I had the same problem with my motorhome Transit 1983.
I used a sort of foam rubber all around of the engine compartment and under the bonnet.
Now i don't need protections against noise, the number od decibels has fallen.
Sorry, I am french and I don't speak and write correctly English.
Au revoir and good luck,
Ligule
ligule
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:20 pm

Re: I HAVE A VERY NOISEY TRANSIT MK 2

Postby Luke » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:22 pm

remember tho if you use the type of foam that soaks up water to seal it so it cant be a water trap :(
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44570
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: I HAVE A VERY NOISEY TRANSIT MK 2

Postby bazw » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:35 pm

i've been fighting the induction roar of the di for 6 months now and i am starting to think the only way to get it down is to switch inlet manifolds to a banana or the other ones with the 90 deg turn in it and fit a filter box

it is better now than it was but still hurts the ears on a long run , oddly though it is ok at 80 + but drinks too much up at that speed
350L Series 56 plate
2.4 duratorq 115 ps
A.R. 4.27
User avatar
bazw
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:46 am
Location: sunderland

Re: I HAVE A VERY NOISEY TRANSIT MK 2

Postby redeemer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:32 am

But the noise is coming out because of engine roughness?? I have a problem of noise but because of vibration which comes from a fu** up in the injector pump. And I suggest that if you put foam or someting to eliminate the sound, you apply some anti rusting wax or oil on the regions where water might sattle down for a long time before drying. My reciept altough dirty is, used engine oil mixed with some wax and heavy gearoil.
1982 MK2 SWB 2.5 DI 5 SPEED 70PS now with turbo
1982 MK2 LWB PICKUP 2.5 DI 4 SPEED

Image
User avatar
redeemer
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Malta


Return to Mk 1 & 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.