*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Alternator

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Alternator

Postby sam l » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:24 pm

Hi folks - my alternator has died today. I'm fed up with buying recon ones for £45 and then they pack up after a year or so. What are my options, I expect if I go to Ford they'll charge me an arm and a leg for one - is there a middle way to get one for about £100 that'll last me a good while and that won't need fiddling to even get the thing to fit without short-circuiting like the last one . . . Can anyone recommend something?

It's a 2.5DI about 1986 with the vac pump on the back. What about ebay item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310025157808 or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120226066181 ?

Thanks.
sam l
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:22 pm

Re: Alternator

Postby FredTransit » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:14 pm

where are you getting them form for £45?? I pay about £100, and they do last a bit longer than a year!
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London

Re: Alternator

Postby sam l » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:13 pm

local motor spares shop in heaton. They send them away to be rewound. Where d'ya get yours from? Everything is cheaper in Bradford btw
sam l
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:22 pm

Re: Alternator

Postby FredTransit » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:39 pm

sounds like it! :lol: We get em from Midnight Motors in Wembley.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London

Re: Alternator

Postby sam l » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Actually it's £95 for an exchange one, and £60 to have mine rewound. Price must have gone up! I'm going to bid for the ebay one.
sam l
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:22 pm

Re: Alternator

Postby Luke » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:04 pm

whats wrong with yours :?: can't you just put new brushes in :?:
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44563
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: Alternator

Postby sam l » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:33 pm

That's a step too far for me, I just don't have the time to deconstruct an alternator with no real idea what I'm doing or guarantee of success! In the end I took it in to the garage because of time pressures and needing it to drive around in - not to mention that the novelty of replacing alternators has worn off now for me - and guess what, they've knackered it. Now the ignition lights won't come on (I drove it there with the battery light on) and they seem baffled. Not for the first time . .

If anyone can shed light on this I could seem really knowledgeable and smug!!
sam l
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:22 pm

Re: Alternator

Postby rover » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Asumng all the connections are correct then I would look at the fuses.

Does the van still start?

Rover.
User avatar
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6397
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:03 am
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Alternator

Postby sam l » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:08 pm

starts fine. Apparently it's not a fuse. Nothing has changed with the wiring unless they've chuffed it by mistake. Aaarggh next time I'll do it myself.
sam l
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:22 pm

Re: Alternator

Postby rover » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:18 pm

sam l wrote:starts fine. Apparently it's not a fuse. Nothing has changed with the wiring unless they've chuffed it by mistake. Aaarggh next time I'll do it myself.


Im not saying its a blown fuse :!:

The fuse box is VERY prone to being a pain in the ass, I had exactly the same problem on a Mk2 last year, in the end I took all the fuses out in order...cleaned them, cleaned the contacts, and put them back in, problem solved :wink:

Rover.
User avatar
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6397
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:03 am
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Alternator

Postby Luke » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:09 pm

sam l wrote:In the end I took it in to the garage and guess what, they've knackered it. Now the ignition lights won't come on (I drove it there with the battery light on) and they seem baffled. Not for the first time . .
this might be a long shot but this garage dont seem to have a clue what they are doing :shock: :lol:

whereabouts are you :?:
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44563
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: Alternator

Postby sam l » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:13 pm

It's OK now, they brought in an electrician from outside. Something about a wire to the starter motor that shouldn't have been there, but to be honest it doesn't add up cos it's been fine for 6 years - and they fitted the starter motor (when it was pissing it down and I couldn't face working on the van in the street. I wish I had a nice dry barn . . . . )
sam l
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:22 pm


Return to Mk 1 & 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.