*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby snakemaster » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:59 pm

has any one got info on the Vin plate identification MK1/2 seen this in the scrapy
160 mk2 camper type vfpclg rear axle typeD ratioD its the rear axle i am intrested in and will it fit strate on the mk1 190
Wanted manta A front spoiler , i now theres one out ther for me
User avatar
snakemaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 8:13 pm

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby Clem » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Snakemaster, here you go:

Type VFPCLG decodes as:
V = Transit
F = 160
P = 3100 kg GVW
C = Chassis Cab
L = LWB
G = 2,0 liter OHV Engine + M11 Gearbox (if before 1984) or M26 Gearbox (as of 1984)

The Rear Axle Code D is for the Type 52 axle, which, as the number implies, is the 5200 lb axle (= 2360 kg).
This would have been the axle used in the Type 175. If I'm not mistaken, the 190 uses the Type 53 (5300 lb axle).
The rear axle code is for the 5,14:1 which would be correct for a 190.

Cheers
Clem
Clem
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby snakemaster » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:21 pm

thanks for that clem , some one must of changed all the running gear ,it has a di with a 4 speed overdrive box , i jacked up one rear wheel and turned the wheel 20 times and the prop turned round 46 times and a we bit. so it looks like a 4.6 rear end
Wanted manta A front spoiler , i now theres one out ther for me
User avatar
snakemaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 8:13 pm

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby madmark » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:49 pm

b is 4.63 on a mk2 mate! :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 15467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:29 am

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby snakemaster » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:51 pm

chears mark its a 4.63 on this old mk2 now and it will be mine soon , your mk1 looking well nice , i seen one in aberdeen last week thot it was you , then rememberd your mk1 would not make it up that far :lol: :lol:
Wanted manta A front spoiler , i now theres one out ther for me
User avatar
snakemaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 8:13 pm

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby MrMPuk » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:53 pm

snakemaster wrote:i seen one in aberdeen last week thot it was you , then rememberd your mk1 would not make it up that far :lol: :lol:

Probably another one of Marks.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29105&start=0
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 27856
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:50 am

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby I_hate_rust » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:28 am

Just to add to this topic....

has no one sat down and compiled a chart for decoding old Ford chassis numbers :?: :?:

If it was done then we could all look up our van details :D

Or am I missing something :!: :!:
Oh how I long for the day when the rust is all gone!!!!! :-)
User avatar
I_hate_rust
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: Saintfield, Northern Ireland

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby FredTransit » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:58 pm

yeah I would be interested in that, never seen one though. There is one for the Cortina on Buy Sell Cortina, something like that would be very useful.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby I_hate_rust » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:05 pm

I've found the manufacture dates here

http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/ ... chart.aspx

but have yet to find the rest.

Though what I've found out so far is that the last 5 numbers are the actual serial number which, if I'm write, relates to the original engine number.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me :D
Oh how I long for the day when the rust is all gone!!!!! :-)
User avatar
I_hate_rust
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: Saintfield, Northern Ireland

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby I_hate_rust » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:32 pm

Just found this link for post 1982 VIN numbers

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/ ... efault.asp

Still looking for a pre 1982 decoder
Oh how I long for the day when the rust is all gone!!!!! :-)
User avatar
I_hate_rust
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: Saintfield, Northern Ireland

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby Clem » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:02 pm

I_hate_rust wrote:Just found this link for post 1982 VIN numbers

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/ ... efault.asp

Still looking for a pre 1982 decoder


Except that this only works for North-American Fords.... :D

I will sit down and put together a decoder for the Mk I Transit in the next days..
It's all in the Workshop manuals, but I will need to put it in a simple form...

Cheers
Clem
Clem
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby I_hate_rust » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:04 pm

Clem wrote:
I_hate_rust wrote:Just found this link for post 1982 VIN numbers

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/ ... efault.asp

Still looking for a pre 1982 decoder


Except that this only works for North-American Fords.... :D

I will sit down and put together a decoder for the Mk I Transit in the next days..
It's all in the Workshop manuals, but I will need to put it in a simple form...

Cheers
Clem


Is that the Haynes workshop manuals or the ford dealership ones?
Oh how I long for the day when the rust is all gone!!!!! :-)
User avatar
I_hate_rust
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: Saintfield, Northern Ireland

Re: Vin plate identification MK1/2 diff ratio

Postby Clem » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:26 pm

The Ford ones!
Clem
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:35 pm


Return to Mk 1 & 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.