*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby foggy08 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:59 pm

hi i recently had a garage look at my camper ,the guy said "it was all there" ....when i took it home i noticed n/s outer sill as very badly corroded to the extent i pressed it and put my fingers through it.in 2 places.... i asked another mechanic if that would fail an mot test ,he said not really ,as long as its 12 inches away from any body or seatbelt mounts . ,i always thought sills were structural .........is filler ok or should i get the sill replaced for its upcomming mot.....also does the exhaust on a camper need to reach all the way to the rear ,,,,,i fitted an exhaust but its short of the rear doors by about 24 inches,,,will i need to put a small extention on the back to make it clear the back....
ouch ..suarez bit my finger
User avatar
foggy08
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 1:25 pm
Location: midlothian

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby FredTransit » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:16 pm

The sills are not structural, so filer will be fine. Some testers might not even fail the van for it, but no need to make them obvious so it reflects badly on the rest of the van. Not sure about the exhaust, but it sounds fine to me.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby toriitom » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:23 pm

foggy08 wrote: ... i fitted an exhaust but its short of the rear doors by about 24 inches,,,will i need to put a small extention on the back to make it clear the back....


It is probably not a fail item but it is more of a health issue. The CO3 could possibly collect in the interior or the vehicle and poison the occupants. So for safety reasons I would extend the exhaust to the rear or thereabouts. :P
toriitom
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:07 pm

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby The Docmeister » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:41 pm

My exhaust is short as well, was considering one of those exhaust trims that are slash cut facing down the way.
Otherwise it's deciding whether an extension should exit to the side or back depending on whether I decide to go for an awning or not.
User avatar
The Docmeister
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:38 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby Luke » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:52 pm

i'd extend the exhaust too for the cost and difficulty it's a no brainer :D
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44565
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby The Docmeister » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:21 pm

The problem with the Travelhome is the door on the back . A straight extension would potentially let fumes in if you had to run the engine to charge up the batterries when parked up. An exit on the offside would be below the toilet compartment window and the other side would be the prime spot for an awning!
Must be a way around it, I guess somebody on here will have a CI Travelhome with extension etc. complete...
User avatar
The Docmeister
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:38 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby FredTransit » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Maybe that's why it short, I don't think it's illegal, leave it as it is.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby chrisvmax » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:25 pm

I shortened the exhaust on my amby. it now exits about half way down the van out the drivers side.
Less pipes... less cash :D

Regards,
Chris
User avatar
chrisvmax
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: South Wales

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby foggy08 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:45 pm

as the camper has a wooden floor and the exhaust is short ,would the rising fumes not enter the van when sitting in traffic...also the cab,can be entered from the rear so potential poisoning of me,,,,i think ill go for extention to the rear
ouch ..suarez bit my finger
User avatar
foggy08
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 1:25 pm
Location: midlothian

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby toriitom » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:58 pm

FredTransit wrote:Maybe that's why it short, I don't think it's illegal, leave it as it is.


Fred, I was not implying that it is legal or illegal, I don't know. :? All I was saying about is the POSSIBLE health risks with such a vehicle. :wink:


foggy08 wrote:as the camper has a wooden floor and the exhaust is short ,would the rising fumes not enter the van when sitting in traffic...also the cab,can be entered from the rear so potential poisoning of me,,,,i think ill go for extention to the rear


Foggy08, I cannot say whether or not the fumes could enter the inside of the vehicle. As above, I was just pointing out the POSSIBLE health risk with your type of vehicle. :wink:
toriitom
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:07 pm

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby Luke » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:31 pm

end of the day fumes coming into the van say you leave the engine running while parked up then fall asleep you might never wake up :(

im not big on H&S but thats not something i'd do - just pipe it to the side rather than over the rear door :D
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44565
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby transitexpress » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:12 pm

If you extend to the rear make sure the tailpipe end is set to discharge below the rear bumper, as if it is set too high the bumper will divert fumes up towards the doors which dont have a gas tight seal.
I have had fume entry into double rear door minibuses in the past because of badly set tailpipes. :!:
Old transits need never die just keep mending em!
transitexpress
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:02 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby The Docmeister » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:38 am

This is a short wheelbase CI on Ebay and has a non-standard rear step, but it looks to me as though the exhaust comes out between the step and the light plinth. If so, it's very near the door and I think I'll be leading it elsewhere if I go for the extension piece..

Image
User avatar
The Docmeister
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:38 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby chrisvmax » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:17 pm

I'd route it out of the side of the van, that could be at the rear or halfway down the van as mine is. As long as it exits past the edge of the van it should be OK. I'll post a picture of what I did if I remember.

Regards,
Chris
User avatar
chrisvmax
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: South Wales

Re: are the outer door sills structural ( mot failable)

Postby FredTransit » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:52 pm

chrisvmax wrote:I'd route it out of the side of the van, that could be at the rear or halfway down the van as mine is. As long as it exits past the edge of the van it should be OK. I'll post a picture of what I did if I remember.

Regards,
Chris


he's got a window on one side and planning an awning on the other so I don't think side exit is an option.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.