*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How I tune a V6 Essex 3.0L.

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

How I tune a V6 Essex 3.0L.

Postby whitemice » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:17 pm

With todays petrol being what it is then book settings for these engines and similar are no good.
I use Shell Optimax and 1cc's of acetone and 0.5cc's of Xylene per litre and 50% more than recommended Millenium lead substitute in mine but the following is good for your favourite brew.

1)
If you have leccy ign. then ignore this bit for the basic tune of these old skool engines.
In order to start you need to set points dwell and this is between 38 and 40 degrees, use the lower 38 setting which allows for wear to increase to the 40 degrees value in time, this is necessary because dwell values changes timing.

Get a basic points gap setting using feeler gauge at 0.63mm.

Establish dwell at 38 with a dwell meter.

2)
Using a vacuum gauge adjust fuel mixture with engine warm adjust mixture screw for highest vacuum value then richen (anti-clockwise) until level on gauge JUST begins to fall, this sets mixture for optimum power.

3)
Make some marks in white to the left of the timing markings on the crankcase which will be a more advanced position than original 10 degrees and put a dab on the pulley notch.
get tool ready to crack distributor nut and a strobe timing light and run engine.
Undo distributor nut a little and rotate distributor by hand either way to again get the highest value on the vacuum guage then turn distributor anti-clockwise to retard until vacuum JUST begins to fall, keep hand on distributor and check position of your marks with strobe and memorise and tighten distributor and recheck with strobe as tightening can cause a movement, if the marks are still aligning with your memory that is it.

The above will take care of wear and give optimum performance, go out for a hoss to confirm. :D

Mine runs best with 13 degrees of advance.

Last edited by whitemice on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIaGWURONRU
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
Mike writ '' a vote for lABOUR is a vote for islam and a conservative vote is a vote for islam and a vote for liberal is a vote for islam. ''
DBVM ''a vote for UKIP is a vote for islam''
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Location: normalised heavily chemtrailed cretinous individual just like you

Re: How I tune a V6 Essex 3.0L.

Postby baconsdozen » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:32 pm

All normal petrol engines are simply self powered air pumps,sucking air in the inlet and blowing it out the exhaust.
The higher the vacuum the greater the efficiency of the (pump) engine.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby whitemice » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Yup, mine runs like a dog at the 10 degree timing setting in the book with modern fuel and short of guessing the vacuum gauge method can't be beat for mixture and timing.

I tuned it today and get 24hg on all gauges at idle and at 52mph on the flat could back off and maintain speed at 21hg with progressive throttle throughout pedal stroke and no pinking or flat spots with 70psi oil pressure.

I bunged a few pics in of the poundland cycling bottle holders that are brilliant for the Millets thermal mugs with no handles and clear2go filtering water bottles we use.
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
Mike writ '' a vote for lABOUR is a vote for islam and a conservative vote is a vote for islam and a vote for liberal is a vote for islam. ''
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Neil » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:47 am

is your engine the standard transit or from a capri or scimiter :?:
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby baconsdozen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:06 am

Seeing the Redex car care robot reminded me of the old Redex made device that used to squirt Redex into the manifold,I seem to remember it was called the Redex Lurbocharger or similar.
Does anyone else remember them?. If you pressed often and hard enough you'd leave a blue cloud behind you (very James Bond) they were supposed to clear carbon and gum out of the engine. Probably such a device would be banned no under all sorts of H and S or Eco nonsense.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby whitemice » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:03 pm

Neil wrote:is your engine the standard transit or from a capri or scimiter :?:

It was in there originally, over 27 years old now......mental. 8) I have started on building up the parts to change the clutch as it's not going to last forever, have so far got a nice heavy duty plate from Burtons for a 20 pound note, i need to get a release bearing, crank oil seal, gearbox oil seal and i guess a cover spring plate to make it all worthwhile.
Last edited by whitemice on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby whitemice » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:06 pm

baconsdozen wrote:Seeing the Redex car care robot reminded me of the old Redex made device that used to squirt Redex into the manifold,I seem to remember it was called the Redex Lurbocharger or similar.
Does anyone else remember them?. If you pressed often and hard enough you'd leave a blue cloud behind you (very James Bond) they were supposed to clear carbon and gum out of the engine. Probably such a device would be banned no under all sorts of H and S or Eco nonsense.

My old man had one in his Corsair 2000E GT estate and i would operate it and want to keep on doing so, tell ya what i fancy rigging up such a device now you have mentioned it. 8)

I have seen heads/pistons clean as a whistle from running a small percentage (0.1-0.2%)of acetone in the petrol though.
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Neil » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:11 pm

ye mines still running original engine and auto box
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby davev6newman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:35 pm

How is your vacuum gauge connected exactly?
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby whitemice » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Dave, in the 11th pic down you can see the take-off from the carb and it runs to the T-piece which connects the almost antique Redex Robot green tube with thumbscrew and the 70's/80's Smiths one in the dash pod.

Good deal here on sparkplugs at £9.50 delivered for 6.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260892718944? ... 1439.l2649
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby davev6newman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:08 am

Ive just put electronic ign on my V6 and set the timing at 14 deg (only because that is all the info i had out of a granada manual). Been reading the workshop manual that the static timing marks after you remove the dizzy is 6 deg BTDC but no mention of setting when running with a timing light. So what should it be for an original fitted engine which i assume is a LC with a twin Weber.

Also when the dizzy is set in the right place the rotor should point to the No 1 spark plug BTDC and the firing order be 142536. My rotor arm is pointing at no 4 plug so the dizzy must be a tooth or 2 out , is this going to make a difference, even tho the firing order is correct, should i change it?
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby whitemice » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Dave, reset the distributor to no1 and set the timing to @ 10 degrees and see how it runs.

It's worth using a vacuum gauge to set mixture and timing for optimum efficiency. The old Smiths/yazaki/redex dash mount ones are the most accurate clock types the modern cheapo plastic garyboy ones are naff for accuracy/response.

I've got two dash types fitted permanently with one in engine bay to make it easy to set up.

Make a few extra marks on cover for more advanced timing settings, @12,14,16 deg. so you can easily re-check setting in the experiment to get the optimum timing setting for power and smooth running.

You can do it all without vacuum gauge and just use your ear and judge road response,idling, spark plug colour etc. but v6's are quite finnicky to get just right.

Now you are up and running with yours i would recommend Mahl oil filters(£7 delivered ebay) and the Shell station Millenium additive for unleaded petrol use with unconverted head and 3-4 thou oil/filter changes.
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby baconsdozen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:38 pm

whitemice wrote:
baconsdozen wrote:Seeing the Redex car care robot reminded me of the old Redex made device that used to squirt Redex into the manifold,I seem to remember it was called the Redex Lurbocharger or similar.

My old man had one in his Corsair 2000E GT estate and i would operate it and want to keep on doing so, tell ya what i fancy rigging up such a device now you have mentioned it. 8)

I have seen heads/pistons clean as a whistle from running a small percentage (0.1-0.2%)of acetone in the petrol though.

I saw an advert in an old car mag some years back for a device called a water bomb. I'll see if I can remember which one it was in and fish it out. basically the device allowed the engine to suck in steam under hard acceleration and it increased power and also (apparently) allowed the engine to run cleaner and on a lower grade of fuel.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby whitemice » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:42 pm

I like the old skool jam jar of water with an aquarium bubbler Bacon 8)
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby whitemice » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:54 am

http://www.classicmotor.co.uk/unlead2.htm

This article talks about the water/cooling Bacon, i think it's one of the best out there and after reading it years ago i made up a bubbler with a £2 aquarium thingy some years back and it ran well , and i even had an air filter on it and adjustable valve, think i'll dig it out and re-install. :mrgreen: I've seen talk of the electric water ionisers being used too.
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2