*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Early transits with no MOT.

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: Early transits with no MOT.

Postby Neil » Thu May 31, 2018 7:34 pm

yes the insurance companys are going to welcome this no mot game like you say too many grey areas which means more excuses not to pay out keep it simple just test it
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby baconsdozen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:54 am

Why they had to open this can of worms is beyond me.
I took my Rover for an MOT even though it would become exempt two days later. The tester said the foot and hand brake were more efficient than most modern cars,but that so much of the new regulations dont apply to older vehicles that it would make more sense to have a 'two tier' MOT test.
The rover passed,so Im happy. Im fitting a new interior in my transit so its SORN at the moment,but I'm thinking I'll just MOT it when the time comes.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Neil » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:08 pm

i went to book mine in and they tell me its exempt and the systems box is ticked mot not required going off my reg number bear in mind the van wants for nothing and always passes they said its up to me and would test it if I wanted but did nt know how it would read on the system,,,, its a crazy rule alright :)
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Muttley » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:49 pm

A customer of mine has a 1970 Morris Minor, it has less than 50,000 miles on it. He brings it to me for a pre mot check and then I take it to the MOT station for him. This year I advised that he let me give it a thorough check over in place of the test as it was now exempt, I found 3 leaking wheel cylinders, top trunnion bushes worn out and virtually no fluid in rhe master cylinder. My checks and the MOT test would not have shown up these faults as to find them I had to do some serious dismantling! Point is, have your vehicle serviced properly in line with its useage and never rely on the MOT test alone as so many seem to do.
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley
MK3 Massive

Postby Ralph.9 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:25 pm

I have just received the tax reminder for my '57 300E Thames van & it states that due to the changes in MOT exemption vans are not included & it now needs a commercial vehicle MOT to tax it. So I assume all vans are excluded from MOT exemption?
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby baconsdozen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:32 pm

I taxed mine yesterday even though it wont be on the road for a while. It says "MOT details not held" on the DVLA site presumably thats the same for everyone.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Muttley » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:47 pm

Ralph.9 wrote:I have just received the tax reminder for my '57 300E Thames van & it states that due to the changes in MOT exemption vans are not included & it now needs a commercial vehicle MOT to tax it. So I assume all vans are excluded from MOT exemption?

First I heard of that one, are they saying an LGV test?
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley
MK3 Massive

Postby DougT » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Seems as if they have got their weights mixed up somewhere. Are they getting it confused with a Thames Trader truck ?? Are any weights listed on V5 ?

MOT exemption applies to all 40 year old vehicles under 3500kg Gross Vehicle Weight. See revised V112 form (updated April 2018).

I haven't been through everything but I think that over 3500kg, pre 1960 and used for commercial purposes or more than 8 seats, these used to be exempt but are no longer exempt as lots of people were concerned about old buses killing lots of people in one go.

But a 300e should definitely be exempt.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Neil » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:12 pm

baconsdozen wrote:I taxed mine yesterday even though it wont be on the road for a while. It says "MOT details not held" on the DVLA site presumably thats the same for everyone.

that's right not required just fill the decleration in when taxing
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2