*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK1 supervan 1 tribute

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: MK1 supervan 1 tribute

Postby bj928 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:09 pm

i have a friend who is a wiring genius, and can work out anything, he has done a few modern engines into something they were never set for, and got all running fine, so i will get all the loom and everything electrical i can, along with engine, box, props, dash, and anything else i might need, into a big crate, and ship it, these engines have twin injectors, 1 normal per cylinder, and 1 direct port injector like the ecoboost engines, my friend who is doing the wiring has just put a 2.0 ecoboost in his focus st170, so he has already played with these new ford engines, but down the line when it gets twin turbos, he is talking about running it on a stand alone, but to get it running for now, we will use entire F150 loom, i will get it running if i can before i remove anything, then strip it
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:41 pm

10 speed auto?? whats that all about then
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bj928 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:26 pm

new for 2018, well the ecoboost 3.5 f150 had it 2017, all other engines in the rwd ford range got it this year (mustang and f150) , its a gearbox in partnership with Chevy, fords 10R80 is a 10 speed auto, with manual/flappy paddle shifting, so not only did i get the latest 5.0 from ford, i got their latest gearbox as well, not sure if the american transits get it this year as well or not, will have to look into that, but its seems a lot of people really like it, the f150 i have is 4wd/2wd, and it can be switched on the fly, there is a video of a bloke in an F150 single cab, but other than that, its the same as the wreck i have, he has a supercharger bolted to it, he launches in 4wd, and at 1/8 mile he switches to 2wd to reduce the drag, and he can blow the doors off a Dodge Demon with it.

this is the set up in the pickup, but with a supercharger, other than that, engine is factory stock i believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZgNB0tiiqA
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bj928 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:43 am

went and got the donor today, and got the engine exposed, what a result, no apparent damage, so fingers crossed i can get a key sorted and it will be running, with all the damage, the AC was still fully charged, not what u expect when cutting through the pipe to get it out the way, lots of hissing later, and its out the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:14 am

I'm looking at doing something similar with a mk2 transit, we don't have the same kind of cars on offer in the uk though, I'll look at a ford kuga 2.0 4x4 auto I think, newest version ideally as it has a similar setup to the transit custom.

Looking forward to seeing this progress. Are you going to fit the front subframe/steering and suspension complete? :P
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby bj928 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:39 pm

i'm lucky, i work in america 7 months of the year, once this f150 is stripped, it will be coming to the uk, i was looking for a Gen2 set up, didn't dream of finding a gen3, gen3 only came out this year, but this f150 come up local to me and had enough damage to stop most people bidding on it, so i was able to go get it to save on the transport as well, it was a result all round, depending what ur looking for, there are a lot of uk options, as well as looking to the usa for engines and stuff,
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:31 pm

I'm on the hunt for a mk2 first, I'm in the middle of buying a lockup so I'm at the scheming /I mean planning stages of the project.

Ideally a swb twin side door low roof with early metal grille.

Not bothered about the engine etc as I'll be basically bringing it upto date.

Only thought I have is can I get a heated screen made up?
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby conrod » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:46 pm

what a great RESULT! :D When I saw the first pics you posted, and you said you bought it unseen, I thought it would turn out bad for you. But $3K for that lot - wow!

I know you are talking about turbos, but have you checked out the Whipple supercharger kits for these engines? So nicely engineered, water intercoolers etc. I know they won't make the power of twin turbos, but for a bolt on kit it would be a nice easy setup :)

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index. ... uct_id=461
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bj928 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:03 pm

loot wrote:I'm on the hunt for a mk2 first, I'm in the middle of buying a lockup so I'm at the scheming /I mean planning stages of the project.

Ideally a swb twin side door low roof with early metal grille.

Not bothered about the engine etc as I'll be basically bringing it upto date.

Only thought I have is can I get a heated screen made up?

both my mk6 and mk1 have twin side doors, such a great option, the only place you will find a swb twin door is Europe, never seen a mk2 with that option in the UK, other than that AMG powered white one, not even sure thats a British van, my mk1 came from Germany, i wanted a van with twin door but swb aren't common so went with the bus, the other bonus with the bus, its can run at car speeds on A roads and dual carriageways in the uk, vans have lower speeds, so 1 thing less to think about, i have bought 3 vans now from Europe if u need a hand with the purchase when your ready, i find all the bargains
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bj928 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:24 pm

conrod wrote:what a great RESULT! :D When I saw the first pics you posted, and you said you bought it unseen, I thought it would turn out bad for you. But $3K for that lot - wow!

I know you are talking about turbos, but have you checked out the Whipple supercharger kits for these engines? So nicely engineered, water intercoolers etc. I know they won't make the power of twin turbos, but for a bolt on kit it would be a nice easy setup :)

i personally prefer the supercharger option, but i want to do track time, and the superchargers get to much heat soak if run for longer times, the turbos are also a lot cheaper, the supercharger kit of $8k or whatever it is, will buy a lot of turbo kit, still researching the forced induction, and what internals and bolt on bits i want to use, and also what works with the Gen3 engine as its a completely new engine, i was looking at a Gen2 engine, Gen1 and Gen2 are very similar, but the Gen3 is a major jump, also found out recently that the 4wd system is good, its all electric, and you can launch hard in 4wd, and once up and rolling can turn to it to 2wd on the fly and the front hubs go free wheeling so its reduces the lag, so glad i got the F150 now, can work with this and make the can 2/4wd, i already have a mustang steering wheel with flappy paddle, guessing 2 or 3 wires will need changing in the column to swap the manual shift from the stalk of the f150 to the steering wheel flappy paddle of the mustang wheel, lots of things to look into, as to what does and doesn't work.
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:01 am

Ah great, I'd like to pick your brains most likely nearer the time if I could.
Is it ok if I start a new thread then as I don't want to fill this 1 with my nonsense as it'll spoil it I think :(

Thanks 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby conrod » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:32 am

bj928 wrote:
conrod wrote:what a great RESULT! :D When I saw the first pics you posted, and you said you bought it unseen, I thought it would turn out bad for you. But $3K for that lot - wow!

i personally prefer the supercharger option, but i want to do track time, and the superchargers get to much heat soak if run for longer times, the turbos are also a lot cheaper, the supercharger kit of $8k or whatever it is, will buy a lot of turbo kit, still researching the forced induction, and what internals and bolt on bits i want to use, and also what works with the Gen3 engine as its a completely new engine, i was looking at a Gen2 engine, Gen1 and Gen2 are very similar, but the Gen3 is a major jump, also found out recently that the 4wd system is good, its all electric, and you can launch hard in 4wd, and once up and rolling can turn to it to 2wd on the fly and the front hubs go free wheeling so its reduces the lag, so glad i got the F150 now, can work with this and make the can 2/4wd, i already have a mustang steering wheel with flappy paddle, guessing 2 or 3 wires will need changing in the column to swap the manual shift from the stalk of the f150 to the steering wheel flappy paddle of the mustang wheel, lots of things to look into, as to what does and doesn't work.

yes I think you are right about the heat buildup with the superchargers. My Mk2 has a supercharged Buick L67 engine, these are non intercooled with an Eaton blower. They don't call them a "Heaton" for nothing! Van goes like hell when the engine is cold, and must lose up to 50hp once it heats up, it is really noticeable! Okay by fitting an intercooler it would improve things, but I think you need a massive water radiator or even an icebox to keep temps down.

That Gen 3 engine you have is really nice in that it has the extra row of low pressure port injectors, I think they added these to stop carbon buildup in the ports. It means you can run the high pressure direct injectors to their maximum, and if the port injectors require upgrading to keep up with the fuel demands then that is relatively easy, compared to dealing with an earlier engine which only had the high pressure direct injectors. The Ecoboost V6 went through a similar development scenario, with the latest version having port injection too.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bj928 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:49 pm

loot wrote:Ah great, I'd like to pick your brains most likely nearer the time if I could.
Is it ok if I start a new thread then as I don't want to fill this 1 with my nonsense as it'll spoil it I think :(

Thanks 8)

pick my brains as much as you like, happy to help
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bj928 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:57 pm

conrod wrote:
bj928 wrote:

yes I think you are right about the heat buildup with the superchargers. My Mk2 has a supercharged Buick L67 engine, these are non intercooled with an Eaton blower. They don't call them a "Heaton" for nothing! Van goes like hell when the engine is cold, and must lose up to 50hp once it heats up, it is really noticeable! Okay by fitting an intercooler it would improve things, but I think you need a massive water radiator or even an icebox to keep temps down.

That Gen 3 engine you have is really nice in that it has the extra row of low pressure port injectors, I think they added these to stop carbon buildup in the ports. It means you can run the high pressure direct injectors to their maximum, and if the port injectors require upgrading to keep up with the fuel demands then that is relatively easy, compared to dealing with an earlier engine which only had the high pressure direct injectors. The Ecoboost V6 went through a similar development scenario, with the latest version having port injection too.

the new port injectors are maybe going to be a problem, very few after market management systems can fire them, so for now will run and tune using the factory ecu, it is a very high tech engine, still can't believe i got a Gen3, nobody does after market parts for it yet, i want to get a Cobra Jet intake, i think they are the best looking, and best power add, but they do lose a little torque down bottom, but seeing as the van weighs about half of the f150, i don't think it will notice, ford have and are working on an ecoboost version of this v8, and i really like the intake they have for it, so hopefully when i go twin turbo i can use the intake they have developed for turbos
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby quickrack-alan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:22 am

My god but I love this project.
Utterly bonkers and better for it 8)
quickrack-alan

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 1 & 2