*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Manual to Auto transmission help please

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Manual to Auto transmission help please

Postby Minxy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi people. Can anyone tell me what is involved in changing a Mk1 transit with a manual gearbox, to automatic. The engine on the Mk1 van is very good, its a 2 litre petrol pinto.
I would like to know if its possible to keep the original engine and change whatever is needed for it to be automatic transmission. Or is there a whole load of parts to change over ? eg is it better to find a whole donor van and straight swap, then sell the donor van on ?
Yes I know the logic is ' find what you want' but I can't find one with the age and bosy type I'm after. I hate the new transit shape, and I want a Mk 1 so it will be tax exempt as it would be a second vehicle.
I hope one of you out there is nice enough to help with info, cheers :)
Minxy

Re: Manual to Auto transmission help please

Postby Ralph.9 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:06 pm

I have a new MK1 auto box for a V4 with the pedal box & dash changer. You won't find a MK1 auto box to fit the pinto as it was not an original fitment.The Mk1 boxes are top hung at the rear.
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Minxy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:07 am

Ralph.9 wrote:I have a new MK1 auto box for a V4 with the pedal box & dash changer. You won't find a MK1 auto box to fit the pinto as it was not an original fitment.The Mk1 boxes are top hung at the rear.

Hi Ralph, I made a mistake, its a Mk2 transit, with a pinto engine and a manual gearbox. does that make any difference ?
Minxy

Postby conrod » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:08 am

Mk2 is much easier to convert. You can use an automatic from a Cortina or Capri with a 2.0 Pinto. You will need the flexplate, torque converter, and transmission of course. Transit specific parts are the crossmember/mount, and the shifter, which was quite long for the Transit.(I have one of these, but being in NZ postage would be huge!) Not sure if the propshaft was different. Diff ratio was generally a bit taller on the automatics too. Again Ralph is probably your man for these parts. :)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:59 am

Minxy wrote:
Ralph.9 wrote:I have a new MK1 auto box for a V4 with the pedal box & dash changer. You won't find a MK1 auto box to fit the pinto as it was not an original fitment.The Mk1 boxes are top hung at the rear.

Hi Ralph, I made a mistake, its a Mk2 transit, with a pinto engine and a manual gearbox. does that make any difference ?

yes its an easier swap the selector is thru the floor if you can find a breaker as the carb will have different linkages for the kick down cable etc ,,most transits use the ford gearbox but there are odd ones with the borg warner box in
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:59 am

Not 100% long time ago but we had a automatic the gear change was on the dash but it also had a oil cooler pipe that when into the bottom of the radiator and back to the box I once did conversion outher was round and had to rejet the carb
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Minxy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi Guys thank you for all the info, the selector gearstick is definitely mounted on the floor in the van, so I'm hoping thus means its possible. If anyone can help with more specifics id appreciate it. meanwhile will PM Ralph :)
Minxy

Postby Neil » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Minxy wrote:Hi Guys thank you for all the info, the selector gearstick is definitely mounted on the floor in the van, so I'm hoping thus means its possible. If anyone can help with more specifics id appreciate it. meanwhile will PM Ralph :)

yes mk 2 are on the floor and mk 1 were on the dash
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby skerr3 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:15 pm

Neil wrote:
Minxy wrote:

yes its an easier swap the selector is thru the floor if you can find a breaker as the carb will have different linkages for the kick down cable etc ,,most transits use the ford gearbox but there are odd ones with the borg warner box in

Hi, Ralph.9, you mentioned that you had a V4 auto box and dash changer, do you still have them available?

New user, can't yet send PM
Thanks
skerr3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 1 & 2