*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk1 Brakes stuffed.. what to do

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Mk1 Brakes stuffed.. what to do

Postby nostromo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:46 am

Mk1 camper with the original style brakes with the master cylinder under the floor and drums front and rear. The only non-standard addition has been two Hillman Hunter brake boosters.

So heres the current situation:

I had a brake pipe rust through at the start of the year, one of the little ones that goes between the two drum cylinders on each front wheel I've fixed that finally I replaced them with Cupro ones I made but now there's a problem with the master cylinder I think perhaps as the fluid leaked out and it's been sitting there since Jan, anyway the fronts stay partly on, so I go to take the master cylinder off and the brake pipes shear off, and so now I need to do all the front brake pipes they are all stuffed. And with the dual Hunter boosters seperate from the master cylinder theres a lot of lines as the reservoir has to have two lines down to the cylinder, then two lines from the cylinder up to the boosters, then two lines from boosters down to the front and rear systems, so they all need to be redone.

And I gotta fix the master cylinder whatevers wrong with that. And the pivot for the brake pedal is flogged out, and the clevis pins too, and the clutch cylinder pipe is badly corroded and needs replacing and the clutch master cylinder works, but looks pretty sad. So I could fix all of that, but with all of that work already to do I'm wondering about changing it for the more modern style of pedal box that pivots from the top and has a master cylinder with integrated booster.

Just fishing for opinions really.. and if anyone else has done something similar.
nostromo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk1 Brakes stuffed.. what to do

Postby Ralph.9 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:17 am

I have just changed one of mine from pedals through the floor to suspended pedals, it's a lot of work as the bulkhead shape is not designed to take the pedal box. I will get some pictures for you.
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby nostromo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:55 am

Ralph.9 wrote:I have just changed one of mine from pedals through the floor to suspended pedals, it's a lot of work as the bulkhead shape is not designed to take the pedal box. I will get some pictures for you.

Thanks Ralph, appreciate it.

I can weld and have a MIG welder so I'm thinking this might be the way to go.
nostromo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Luke » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:30 pm

i've done my 1970 mk1 too it was lhd and i converted it to rhd using a mk2 pedalbox and servo like ralph says its not a bolt on job but not that difficult :D
Luke
Site Admin

Return to Mk 1 & 2