*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk1 transit v4 1977 powersteering

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: mk1 transit v4 1977 powersteering

Postby conrod » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Tranny76 wrote:@Conrod, i was wondeing if the powersteering conversion was a succes. And what conversion did you use. I was searching for an electric steering coulum and box from a Toyota Prius(must be the only good from the car anyway :lol: ) .Hacve read thet the unit from a Corsa is used a lot... :|

yes very much so! :) read my post above, with the link detailing how it was done.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Tranny76 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:24 am

conrod wrote:
Tranny76 wrote:@Conrod, i was wondeing if the powersteering conversion was a succes. And what conversion did you use. I was searching for an electric steering coulum and box from a Toyota Prius(must be the only good from the car anyway :lol: ) .Hacve read thet the unit from a Corsa is used a lot... :|

yes very much so! :) read my post above, with the link detailing how it was done.

I read your post, but was shocked by your “little”engine” conversion. Nice engine by the way ;). I saw that you didn’t use an electric PS unit of a MK3. I like to use an electric set more than a hydraulic version, cos it’s cheaper and les work under the bonnet :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Tranny76
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby conrod » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Tranny76 wrote:
conrod wrote:

I read your post, but was shocked by your “little”engine” conversion. Nice engine by the way ;). I saw that you didn’t use an electric PS unit of a MK3. I like to use an electric set more than a hydraulic version, cos it’s cheaper and les work under the bonnet :)

I may not have been clear in my post. I used a hydraulic Mk3 PS box in the Mk2 with the "little" engine ;) It is driven by the hydraulic pump on the engine. On ANOTHER Mk2 which I am converting, I am using another Mk3 hydraulic PS box. I am going to power it with an electic (actually electro-hydraulic) pump from a Merc A Class. It is a nice compact VDO electric pump, which only requires 3 wires to connect and make run.

I think a full electric setup is probably a little less work, and cheaper too.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Tranny76 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:53 pm

conrod wrote:
Tranny76 wrote:
conrod wrote:[quote="Tranny76"]@Conrod, i was wondeing if the powersteering conversion was a succes. And what conversion did you use. I was searching for an electric steering coulum and box from a Toyota Prius(must be the only good from the car anyway :lol: ) .Hacve read thet the unit from a Corsa is used a lot... :|

I may not have been clear in my post. I used a hydraulic Mk3 PS box in the Mk2 with the "little" engine ;) It is driven by the hydraulic pump on the engine. On ANOTHER Mk2 which I am converting, I am using another Mk3 hydraulic PS box. I am going to power it with an electic (actually electro-hydraulic) pump from a Merc A Class. It is a nice compact VDO electric pump, which only requires 3 wires to connect and make run.

I think a full electric setup is probably a little less work, and cheaper too.[/quote]

You were really clear on your post. As i already saw the hydraulic unit. I hope that the unit of a corsa is a sort of “plug and play”. Less costs, less work :)

Tranny76
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby caldwelld » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:29 pm

Hi Tranny,

photo of power steering as promised on my transit mk 1 .

Don
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caldwelld
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tranny76 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:50 pm

Yes!!! that's what i'm talking about. Which type of PS did you use? Mine is a German MK1 van. Think that's just two cuts between de steeringwheel and the endpoint-ish thingy :lol: .
Was is just as i discribed? or was is a crime to mount it all?? do you have more pics?? Thanx in advance...
Tranny76
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2