*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Need some help on twin wheel rear axles

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: Need some help on twin wheel rear axles

Postby conrod » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:19 am

Interesting? What gearbox are you going to run behind the EB V6? I am quite keen to do a conversion with one of these. :D
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bj928 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:25 pm

i depends what year one i get, early ones are 6 speed auto, and i would use a mustang 6 speed manual from a 3.7, straight swap, its also the same box used in 6 speed rwd transits, its the MT82, but if i can get a later donor vehicle, i will run the factory 10 speed auto with flappy paddle, i like my manuals, but apparently then new 10 speeds are amazing, i'm hoping to get the later engine from a high output vehicle they are 450hp from the factory, and easily mapped to 600hp, should make for a nippy van, i work in the states, so sourcing and shipping stuff isn't a problem, the easiest option is a 2013-16 f150 engine, mustang flywheel, clutch and gearbox, and ford control pack, but this lot isn't cheap, so thats why i thought of sticking with the later engine with the 10 speed and use the factory wiring loom and just remove what i don't want from it, the axle from the american transit should cope, i'm going to have one built with after market LSD, and a 3.08 ratio,
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:26 am

I have a Mustang 3.7 MT82, as well as a Transit MT82. I think you might be able to fit the Transit rear housing to the Mustang gearbox, to enable the use of the Transit cable operated gearshift. Been thinking about fitting an EB V6 into a Transit Custom, similar to Guy Martin's original creation. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bj928 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:15 pm

i was wondering about the casing change on the MT82 to make it cable change, if you go for a EB, get the second gen, lot more money, but when remapped, they have so much power, i was thinking transit custom as well, but my mk6 is quite a rare one, fully loaded with just about all option from factory, realy like my twin side door option as well, and as its already a petrol one, i can use original tank and maybe pump, i have a mk1 transit project going on as well, thats going to be running coyote v8 from a 2018 ford mustang, with twin turbo as well
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:22 am

yes, read your plans on the Mk1, will be a weapon for sure!
I am not certain, but remember reading somewhere that the Custom floorpan was based on the Mk6 SWB. Crawled underneath my friend's Custom, and certainly looks like it would take a north-south engine installation without cutting. Even looks like you could hang a leaf spring live rear axle in there without much issue (it has leaf springs on the dead axle anyway!) Fuel tank is in the way, so that would need to be moved.
Interesting on the second gen V6, I must research that some more! Ford Racing do a nice ECU and loom for these as you know, which would make life so easy if you are contemplating building a Frankenstein van! ..............
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bj928 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:40 am

the control pack is the easy option, but only works with 2013-16 f150 EB engine, no others, i'm planning on using the gen 2 with 10 speed, just to be different, can have it as flappy paddle as well, and by all accounts the 10 speed is a brilliant gearbox, and bullet proof, there are a few people that will sort the factory loom to get the EB working in anything, i fancy getting the engine from a lincoln navigator and using the dash as well, its the same hardware they use in the performance pack mustangs, youtube 2018 mustang digital dash, and youtube the navigator one, different graphics, but wicked dashes, i'm going to get PATS turned off as well, i am confident that with the wiring diagram (available from ebay) i can work out the loom myself, it doesn't look hard, i stripped out a 2018 f150 5.0 (donor for mk1 transit) last year, and i think its easy

interesting about the custom, i do fancy one of them when the prices drop a little, i would want one with twin side foor, and prefer tailgate as its just a toy, i have a mustang irs that i bought last year, sits on its own subframe, im going to use it on my mk1 i think, its about the right width for a transit, and is fully self contained, or it would be with coilovers, my mk6 is just a daily driver toy, so that can stick with the mk8 solid, with aftermarket LSD and a nice cruising 3.08 gear,

i started building a lotus 7 replica years ago with a dodge viper v10 in it, 8.3 ltrs of power, well it didn't get finished and my mate ended up with the engine in his 3 door sierra, been in a few mags, well the best he has done at the pod is 11.2, i want to beat that in the mk6, with the v6, i will have a better gearbox, and maybe better reaction, but the mk6 is heavier than a sierra, so it will be close, planning on the EB being north of 600hp,
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2