*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk1 130 Koln 1.7 V4 engine rear cranhaft seal

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Mk1 130 Koln 1.7 V4 engine rear cranhaft seal

Postby mntranny » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:44 am

I took my 1973 ex German V4 1.7 Engine 130 for a drive last week. Parked up and noted a large pool of oil below where the gearbox meets the engine.
The oil was leaking down on the outside metal plate cover, covering the bottom of the bell housing.
I was hoping it was the rubber seal at the back of the sump gasket. So replaced that and the sump gasket, no change.
That rubber seal seems to have been designed to be installed in the factory, with the engine upside down, with the gasket being added later.
I had to unbolt the gearbox and pull it back a couple of inches to get the sump to easily pass the oil pump. Simple jump, but annoying.

As the above did not fix the problem think therefore it could be the main rear crankshaft oil seal, as I do not see any oil leaking from any other park of the engine.

3 Questions:

1) Before I take on the task of changing the rear crankshaft oil seal, is there any other places on the engine, that can leak that can cause leak to come out this spot? Note the rocker gaskets are new, and the headgaskets show no oil leak.

2) If I change the crankshaft rear oil seal, is it easier to pull out the engine or pull back the gearbox, are there are special requirements?
I am doing this at home?

Any feedback and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

1973 Ex German Fire Brigade 130 in the USA
mntranny

Re: Mk1 130 Koln 1.7 V4 engine rear cranhaft seal

Postby tomvdrunen » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:16 pm

how have you fix it? wat is a big repair?
i want to buy a ford transit with a oil leak and want to now if i can take the risk or that it's a big and expesive repair.
tomvdrunen
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk 1 & 2